Life on Mars TV series: UK or US version?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LilacTeardrop, May 1, 2019.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The best John Simm involved tv series.

Life On Mars
    The Prey
    Mad Dogs uk

Though my favourite would be Mad Dogs ..though don’t like his character, fickle me. :)
    Outstanding ensemble piece.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    LilacTeardrop likes this.
  2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here" Thread Starter

...he's in Mad Dogs (UK) too?!! Now, I just may have to purchase a universal player! :eek::winkgrin:

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

I’ve been meaning to pick up The Village a drama 12 episodes John Simm is in it.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  4. LilacTeardrop

Did very much enjoy Season 1 of Prey, as well. Haven't viewed Season 2 yet.

Stumbled across this, on youtube, moments ago...Funny!
    :):D

5. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

MoonPool, Dignan2000, alexpop and 3 others like this.
  6. Cool. I prefer the U.K. Life on Mars although it was cool to see the U.S.recreated for the 1975 or so. I did like that the ending of LoM U.S went a different way but I would have liked to see where that might have led.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I liked 'em both

why no poll?

8. alexpop

April 1

9. alexpop

Life On Mars vs Ashes To Ashes ?

10. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

ABC really blew it with Life on Mars (US ) The show was great. The ending was rushed and idiotic. ABC cancelled the show and that is what led to the terrible finish. There could have been so much more. I will definitely check out the UK Life on Mars.

wayneklein and LilacTeardrop like this.
  11. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Funny this thread popped up again. We’re just rewatching Ashes to Ashes and are on the third season. My wife is convinced that the announcement about a third series of Life on Mars is not an April Fool’s home and I do hope she’s right.

12. I thought the ending was clever if rushed. They never set it up like they did with the original show and it would have been interesting to see where it went. I really did enjoy the American version on its own.

13. Beyond Salvation

LilacTeardrop and MoonPool like this.
  14. alexpop

Mars ?
    15 years between series is a very long time. Just hope the script is good.

John Simm has probably time on his hands as the projected Game Of Thrones sequel that he was involved in was cancelled. Apparently a test episode was made, but failed the shows producers high standards.

IMDb says Simm is involved in a cop/ crime series based in Brighton called Grace.

Aside .. wouldn’t mind a Mad Dogs second series.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  15. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Uk version is in a different league. The USA version is tepid at the side and way too PC. The sequel, Ashes to Ashes is even more way out.
    Both Uk series are sublime. However, given the colloquial nature of the language, many Americans wont have a clue whats going on.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  16. alexpop

Did you get to see Ashes To Ashes ?

17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Well, that’s the thing, isn’t it? Like Shakespeare, you have to listen and concentrate to get the patter.
    Wife and I were the same with Hill Street Blues. At first we only understood one sentence in four, but once we got in the swing it was a thoroughly wonderful experience. I don’t think British TV should be simplified for Americans. Let them work at it. Better experience in the long run.

18. LilacTeardrop

There is talk (this year) about a 3rd season! :D (Though who knows now how C-19 pandemic situation may affect that. :confused: )
    Third series[edit]
    In April 2020, creator Matthew Graham tweeted that a third series was in production.[14][15] Set in Manchester and London,[16] the series is initially planned to consist of four or five episodes.[17]
    Life on Mars creator confirms third and final series is in the works

No I haven't. No universal DVD player. May purchase one/to be determined...:shrug: Currently catching :winkgrin: John Simm re-viewing series The Catch w/Mirielle Enos & Peter Krause, though I am even spreading that out since it didn't go too long. Lightweight, but different/interesting premise, well-acted. John Simm's appearances begin in Episode 6.

- I also ordered, just last week, Elementary Season 2 DVD b/c that's the season where Rhys Ifans joins the cast as Mycroft Holmes. - Had never viewed show before. Ifans cracks me up! (But, don't want to derail my own thread into the UK or US versions of Sherlock Holmes shows. Also, never my intent to start anything which might have potential for contentiousness. I'm aware of the UK version, after viewing trailer on youtube. For both, there seems to be lot of that in comments sections. If I care to dig deeper on that, could start another thread & take a chance participants will be respectful/courteous.) -

"The Catch follows Alice Vaughan (Enos), who runs a private investigation firm in Los Angeles, California. After being defrauded by her fiancé, she is determined to find him—between working on other cases—before it ruins her career.[5] Her fiancé, Benjamin Jones (Krause), is revealed to be a master con artist working for a high-stakes international crime operation along with Margot Bishop (Sonya Walger). Rose Rollins, Elvy Yost, Jay Hayden, Jacky Ido, and Alimi Ballard also co-star."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Watched a John Simm (2008)film today called Tu£sday ( cheap dvd ). Philip Glenister’s in it as well. Plot ? Heist. Acting fine, script not very good. John Simm’s wife acts in it as well. As is ..a wasted opportunity( file under curiosity).

Regarding Life On Mars /Ashes To Ashes ( set in the 1970s:1980s and present day ) third installment 2020., no mention on IMDb.

Universal player well worth it what with folk staying in more.

Aside: watched Ashes To Ashes again,much better second time!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  20. alexpop

Ha! Used to think Martin Freeman and John Simm were the same person. :)

MC Rag likes this.
  21. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

I enjoyed both, the UK one was slightly better as far as the story went but I found Jason O'Mara a better and more likeable Sam than John Simm, who seems to play the same moody dour character in everything he appears in. O'Mara had a lot of charm and charisma in the US version. The only thing that let the US version down was that abysmal ending.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Treat yourself. :)

23. Beyond Salvation

Not adding much & grrroooaaannnnn look how long we'll be waiting :-(
    We'll all have to keep reminding each other lest we forget...
    Life On Mars Season 3: Renewed For Final Season After 13 Years! Creators Revealed Details
    New Life On Mars series gets title
    Life on Mars actor confirms new series - and which cast members could return
    At least there is still glimmer of hope :)

Another thought - although early, is it worth contacting tv stations to ask them to screen/buy the series when it's available?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

The Killing Times. :cool:

25. alexpop

Title derived from a 2016 Bowie song.
    Or it could be .. Time ( 1973)

Andy Smith likes this.