Light for turntable, audio rack use.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

I just found this utility lamp on my doorstep. I try out a lot of audio products and accessories. Also a lot of tools and such as I am both an electronics technician and a record collector. UberLight™ Flex 3200TL Led Task Light, Clamp

[​IMG]

This is a very heavy goose-neck style lamp, so much so that I was initially a bit concerned about it's suitability and ease of adjustment on an audio rack. But once it is mounted to a desk or table top, its weight becomes its asset. I got the version with the desk / C-clamp base. It is much brighter than I had anticipated, and the color temperatures as well as intensity settings make it very flexible indeed. This is ideal for a small workbench, so jewelry makers, electronics technicians, stained glass makers, model builders, etc will love its utility and its quality. It's too bright for most DJ use, but will work better than dimmer DJ specific lights for home use beside a turntable. This gets my easy recommendation for lighting up any dark surface.
    -Bill

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  2. fish

fish Senior Member

3. KT88

I have one of those also. It's the original with the incandescent bulb, mine being the 5w halogen bulb. The Littlite is not even a "night light" compared to the UberLight. The incandescent Littlite, which is very lightweight, is actually very dim. In fairness to its newer LED version, I have tried that. In fact, if you have an older Littlite and you find the incandescent bulb too dim, there are LED retrofit bulbs available on Amazon, etc, which might make it more suitable for home use. It is for soundboards and DJ's who work in a dark room. It has just enough light to make the controls visible but have the operator remain unnoticed.

The UberLight on the other hand, is brighter on its lowest setting. And it can get very bright on higher settings. That's one advantage, with the other being the color temperature adjustment. The smaller Littlite does have continuously variable output control. which is nice. Mine even came with a red filter, which makes you feel like an Army Ranger when using it, and as you might imagine, it's dimmer still. There are lots of options out there for both work lights and DJ lights. I just found this new UberLight to be especially nice for the price.
    -Bill

4. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I am perfectly happy with my $18 Ikea "Navlinge".

Finding it hard to justify the extra $40.

They make several models, with several different clamps/stands.

[​IMG]

Adam9, sturgus, BSU and 1 other person like this.
  5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

If it plugs straight into the AC mains then it will use a switching AC to DC power supply. This means danger of high frequency noise interference with you sound quality :mad:.

6. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Fish17 likes this.
  7. KT88

Ha! Yeah, I still have one of these... somewhere. I haven't used it in years though.

[​IMG]

And mine is a vintage unit, not the Ikea one. Funny thing is, mine cost more, back then, even without adjusting for inflation.They are rather clumsy.
    But Iconic!:

-Bill

WithinYourReach likes this.
  8. fish

fish Senior Member

Yes, true. But thats why I like it. Low-lite. If I need more I can turn on a lamp. The Halogen and Dimmer on the Littlite gets bright enough to see the groves on a record and tiny and easy to push away. I can leave it on and its not distracting. Its also + $100 built to last a lifetime.

9. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have a similar one from Ikea but it is silver color metal flex tube and looks to be much taller, think I paid $29.

[​IMG]

motorstereo likes this.
  10. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Wow, that takes me way back to when I had a drafting table setup with a light just like that.:righton:

jeff

Aftermath likes this.
  11. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

The Ikea Navlinge light element is only about 1 inch in diameter, and uses a LED light.

It is not too vintage looking at all.

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I bought this magnetic battery-powered telescoping LED light for $12 on Amazon in 2017. It's been very capable in its function, and a great match for the Can-Am steel cabinet in which I have my turntable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1RBQP6/

That one is no longer available but there are probably comparable products available instead.

It's the blue telescoping light on the left side of this photo:
    [​IMG]

13. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Agree, the Uberlight is pretty impressive. When I spin vinyl, I turn the lights in room off and leave that on, creates a nice vibe at some settings while being like a sudden magnifier when needed to check something in the set up. Well made goose neck too, feels really solid.

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I got one of these recently. Mine does not have the clock, thankfully. 4 brightness setting from nicely dim to quite bright. Octagon One Desk Lamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Acapella48 likes this.
  15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I also have the Uberlight. Highly recommended!!!

[​IMG]

James RD and C10 like this.
  16. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

Nice to see they finally have the uberlight in black! Just ordered 2.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  17. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I used to use one of those architect clamp on desk lamps (still have the same three I had in college from back in the 70's) but today, I use a small gooseneck desk lamp I picked up from Goodwill for $4. Still on the same LED bulb it came with. I like the Ikea LED desk lamp they used to make but never bought one at the time although I bought a couple clamp versions plus a couple of the USB versions. The clamp-ons don't fit the furniture my main table is on.

19. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

My light is underneath the table and out of the way where I can't knock it over as more than likely I would
    [​IMG]

C10 likes this.
  20. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

21. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

All good valid points, and the points you've made about the standard Littlite with the incandescent lamp was exactly why I wanted that model, and not the LED version. The infinitely adjustable dimmer switch-dial was much preferred and liked. I opted for the Heavy Base accessory, rather than the Clamp option.

I didn't want light at my table to be so bright, that when I'd get up to change an LP in a darkened room, that light when turned on wasn't going to be annoying and overly bright. All I wanted to see was the top deck of the table. And for that purpose, it is quite adequate IMO.

Mine came with both Red and Blue Slide On Filter Lenses. I chose the 18" version.

Sitting off to the left side of the table, where no activity takes place when at the Table was the best spot. I also preferred the look of the Littlite versus some others. Being black, it doesn't bring much attention to itself. Downside of the Littlite, it's a little bit pricey.

But it will always be a mainstay in my system.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    KT88 likes this.
  22. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendation, KT88-this is a great solution for illuminating my turntable. Looks much more elegant than the circular fluorescent bulb lamp I was using, and I like having the warm color temp option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.