Linda Ronstadt album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Hep Alien and heartbreaker like this.
  2. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

ahhh, the 70's.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Oh, my. I've never heard this. I saw David Carroll on Broadway in Chess during its very brief run in 1988. He was a phenomenal performer.

Linda is very, very good here, even if her voice type isn't really all that well-suited for Puccini. (I'm an opera professional who has done Bohème more times than I can count, so I'm a bit over-critical when listening to opera.) The biggest problem here isn't with the performance, but with the language. Bohème sounds really wrong in English.

There are bound to be full recordings of this in someone's archive. I would absolutely love to see this released officially. Even though opera tends not to be mic'd, theatres have stage mics along the foot of the stage or suspended over the stage to pipe sound to the crew and backstage personnel who need to hear what's going on, and it's really easy to make a recording from that audio feed. I can almost guarantee that SOMEONE has tapes of this somewhere.

heartbreaker likes this.
  4. heartbreaker

heartbreaker Prisoner in Disguise

5. heartbreaker

Wagner in English definitely sounds weird, I have the Ring series by the ENO.

If Linda had been in early Maria Callas lighter operas such as "La Sonambula" she would have been OK I think, but wanted to sing Mimi, so... "Carmen" would have suited her & lots of musicals, as movies.

6. heartbreaker

My 70s to 80s compact set in the mail today. Its got PID, HDTW, SD, LITUSA & ML. So all Peter Asher produced. They are individual album CDs in card sleeves, so duplicates of what I bought individually, not BGO as I thought they were. Still I'll test to compare.

Still waiting for some audiophile versions, all from abroad so will take time *sigh*.

Bobby Morrow and ashiya like this.
  7. heartbreaker

8. Glad I found this thread, been working my way through it the last couple of days. I was not really aware of Linda Ronstadt until the huge hit with Aaron Neville in 1989. That got huge airplay down here. My dad had a vinyl copy of Get Closer but I had never heard it. This album, We Ran, was actually the first Linda Ronstadt album I bought, on CD. I am a huge John Hiatt fan and an even bigger Springsteen fan, so I had to hear her covers on this. Her stunning version of If I Should Fall Behind is superb, as is the rest of the album. As with so many of her records, the who's who of musicians playing on it is also mind blowing.

9. I also, have, out of interest, a 2014 Rhino compilation titled Duets. I assume it is all previously released material but nice to have on one CD. I don't think I saw it discussed on this thread?

heartbreaker likes this.
  10. heartbreaker

Its a great compilation and I find some tracks sound better than from their original albums. My goto if I want to listen to Linda & am stuck for choice. I'll do a listen through again soon. :)

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  11. heartbreaker

Listened to PID from the Peter Asher set. Its mastered heavier than my original CD version, so better for low volume maybe, but too much bass & percussion. Linda's strong voice is not drowned out, but its harder to concentrate on above the too-loud band.

These generally vinyl-era productions were produced for vinyl's limitations, and the players of their time. Straight AAD transfers were not so good as ADD or DDD of later years. In the era of 45rpm singles whether bought, radio played or juke box, the quality was poor. 33rpm albums were better, provided those were on good quality vinyl & good pressings. LP compilations could be poor if too many tracks were jammed on each side.

Waiting for MFSL's PID now. Linda's anthem "You Tell Me That I'm Falling Down" is one of my favourites, sung with some irony I feel.

12. heartbreaker

Duets is the only compilation album with "Hasten Down the Wind" (with Don Henley) on it. Both GH, Platinum, VBO & JOL do not include it.

Duets takes all Linda's duets from albums up to & including "Adieu False Heart".

Amazon delivered complete Trio album, so that's tomorrow sorted. Bonus disc of alternates & unreleased tracks included.

13. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

I used to get Record Mirror though for some reason can't remember any Linda covers/reviews at all. There must have been a Simple Dreams feature
    Ah so PID is a newer mastering. How does the CD of HDTW sound in that box set? Would it be an old or newer mastering?

14. heartbreaker

Listening to my Aussie HGHS+SP CD, the one with "She's A Very Lovely Woman" bonus track.

Great rich audio like the BGO release.

Apart from the above, releases with rare/bonus tracks seem to be; Best of Capitol, Simple Dreams 40th anniversary, Box Set & Complete Trio. Any more?

"A Retrospective" LP has alternate versions of several songs.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. heartbreaker

HDTW does not sound too different to the original CD. It is a bit heavier, but better for low volume maybe. Newer masterings I find improve on Linda's Capitol releases more than on her Asylum ones, but no MFSL masters have arrived yet.

16. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Right I see so HDTW is a more recent mastering. Tbh I'm quite happy with my various Asylum vinyl, but for certain favourites there's always the suspicion might be something better out there.
    Btw I got that BGO set now, seems fairly close to Aus vinyl Silk Purse and close with a mid 70s Capitol pressing of s/t (the vinyl edges it perhaps) but Hand Sown is much better than the terrible Aus pressing I have, so happy to have something listenable at last (although seems like the master can't be very good anyway).

heartbreaker likes this.
  17. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Heart Like A Wheel. Imho her best.

Steve356 and heartbreaker like this.
  18. heartbreaker

Couple more MFSL CDs delivered. PID & DCN. Must ration..

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I liked both of those. PID is a lot warmer than the US CD.

Let us know what you think when you play them.

heartbreaker likes this.
  20. heartbreaker

Just HDTW MSFL & GH1 DCC special CDs for me.

Round Midnight ordered as a present for my brother.

May get the "What's New?" DVD-A, I wish LL & FSR had also been released as DVD-As.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Yes the DCC's are a little pricey as I stated earlier, but well worth it in my opinion. I also have the MFSL of HDTW and it is very good. Just a tad warmer than the original Asylum cd and a little better clarity.

heartbreaker likes this.
  22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The sound quality of those 70s albums is so sweet ....formulaic, but so was Al Green.

heartbreaker likes this.
  23. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I was reading into She's A Very Lovely Woman. I have found that there is a song titled She's A Lovely Lady on a European compilation cd called Woodstock's Flower Power. Does anyone know if this is one and the same song? The Euro comp one appears to have a different running time to SAVLW but that might be a typo or a simple error.

24. heartbreaker

It was a Merry-Go-Round release first. That may be the one.

25. heartbreaker

One of my favourite Home Sewn songs is "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight". Much better than Bob's version. Linda sings it in a drawly slightly slurry pseudo-boozy way, great performance.

Hep Alien likes this.