Linda Thompson's solo career

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't see a thread on this.
    I only have Fashionably Late (2002) and really like it.
    How are her other albums?
    • One Clear Moment (1985)
    • Fashionably Late (2002)
    • Versatile Heart (2007)
    • Won't Be Long Now (2013) – UK No. 76[13]

The Sage likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not to forget the current one (which is wonderful):

3. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

I’ve only heard Fashionably Late which I really enjoy. Very clever title also considering her personal challenges.

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Won't Be Long Now is the cream of the selection for me, but I think they are all essential.....and as critical as anything Mr Thompson did on his own.

Robert Kirby (Nick Drake strings) makes an appearance on Versatile Heart.

On that note you should also consider "Give Me A Sad Song" & Dream Fly Away: A History Of Linda Thompson. Both are collections - the former unreleased session - the later a best of... with unreleased material.

5. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I love that version of I Live Not Where I Love on the Dreams Fly Away anthology, produced by Simon Nicol of all people.

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Another vote here for Dreams Fly Away (1996), a nice 20-song compilation including both previously released material and alternate versions of some of her better-known songs, with and without Richard. Should be cheap & easy to find.

One Clear Moment
    has some good songs & vocals, but loses points with its rather dated 80s production. Not familiar with the three later albums you mentioned.

Linda also appears on Family (2014) by "Thompson." The album was produced by Linda & Richard's son Teddy Thompson. Also features Richard Thompson and The Rails (their daughter Kami Thompson and her husband James Walbourne), as well as Richard's son from his second marriage.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Funny.....I was going to mention that as a highlight of that set...but thought too much info.....from Simons solo album Before Your Time.....

Both of Simons albums are worth checking out.....

Nice little album that one....I'm a bit of a fan of the Thompson family....Teddy and Kami are both great in their own right.....The Rails are simply fabulous.

Teddy has also been very involved in the production (as well as vocals and guitar) of albums by Dori Freeman. Richard T pops up on the second one.

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I love the song One Clear Moment, haven't heard the rest of the album but it is indeed very 80s production sounding.

Kiss73 likes this.
  9. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Yet another vote for Dreams Fly Away and also for Give Me A Sad Song which is probably my favorite, as it includes When I Mention Love. One Clear Moment is a great pop record with some terrific songs, but it does have that '80s feel. I wish she'd re-record a few of those songs.

Kiss73 likes this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

The reason I started this thread is because of this song....what a gem

Kiss73 likes this.
  11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yes, that comp is essential.

Alan2 likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

One Clear Moment is by far the weakest of the bunch. All the rest are strong or very strong and if you like any of them you should get all of them.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Funny, I think “One Clear Moment” is my favorite of the solo albums. I am a fan of “80’s production” so I like it. Also, it includes what I think is Linda’s must brilliant composition “Telling Me Lies”.

Kiss73, Alan2 and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Containing the RT-level lines:

You don't know what a chance is/Until you've had to seize one

You don't know what a man is/Until you've had to please one

Ouch!

Kiss73 and Alan2 like this.
  15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Another vote here. An excellent summary of her early years, especially stuff recorded with Richard.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

One Clear Moment has ‘Only A Boy’, which is one of her absolute gems, imo.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have “Fasionably Late” and “It Won’t Be Long Kniw” and “Versatile Heart”. All are fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.