Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Yes, that’s the one!

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Linda,

There are definitely multiple olive green label pressings of Vol. 4. There is no way one plant could handle the workload when bands like Sabbath released an album.

3. Thanks!

So basically the probability of this promo press to sound like an olive green label pressing is pretty much the same as any Vol. 4 olive green label pressing's propability to sound like any other Vol. 4 olive green label pressing?

4. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

If you are asking if thay have a unique mastering the answer is NO!!!!

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Can't say for certain but I doubt the promo was cut differently than the initial release itself.

6. Here's a rather frustrating update regarding Dehumanizer:
    So unlike the original 2013/2014 hi-resolution HDtracks release, which sounds very dynamic (DR11) and is, due to its combination of dynamics and dark sound (much more low end than all other digital releases of this album), my favorite version, this new 16/44.1 HDtracks release uses the overcompressed mastering of the 2008 CD (DR8). Feel free to contact me if you're looking for the original HDtracks version.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

For fox sake.

8. It's like there's a dark logic behind the handling of Sabbath's catalogue that seeks to punish us for something. But what have we done? Are we castigated because it is stupid to like a band as much as we do? ;-)

EDIT: I think we should be compensated for all our suffering. Maybe they can release, say, 20 unheard-of live recordings from 1969 through 1995. :) That would do for me.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes to everything. :D

Additional "Where do I sign?" and "Take my money now!" to your last idea.

10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

If I was a record company exec ... I'd do thing a lot differently than the clowns in charge now! :wave: It should be about making money *and* making the fans happy.

11. damnit

Maybe Iommi doesn’t give a crap about how things are handled or he has no control over anything as far as the catalog is concerned.

12. kevin5brown

Probably out of his hands. Unfortunately.

damnit likes this.
  13. I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have access to any live recordings they have ever done. That doesn't sound like him.

We have had this discussion in other threads. For example, it has been reported that Iommi prevented the Black & Blue video from being released on DVD. Rather than it being totally out of his hands, he seems to be a major impeding factor himself with respect to releasing old live material.

14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Now I do........

15. kevin5brown

If I ran a record company ... :) I'd do another run of the SHM SACDs, but also release them in CD (and Pt CD) form ...

They'd make a ton of money, relatively speaking.

16. What is "Pt CD"?
    MOR, Vol4 and SBS SACDs should indeed just be re-released on both SACD and redbook (or just redbook). The s/t should be re-released with Wicked World from a good tape and a non-damaged Evil Woman added. Paranoid, Heaven and Hell and all other albums should be released using flat transfers from UK master tapes, just as the others.

Music_dude likes this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Platinum CD. Some more of the magical physical formulations for rebook CDs. There were a number of exclusive SACD masterings which have then been issued on platinum CD.

18. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

I just acquired the SHM-SACD of Paranoid, have the late 80's WB CD, and the HDtracks 2014 96/24 version. I have to say, I really like the SACD/DSD files for Paranoid. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it sounds solid, has good dynamics but also sounding very analog. I ordered tonight the 33PD with Obi from Japan as I keep reading about how great it is. Is the consensus truly that the 33PD blows away the SHM-SACD? Below are the DR values for the SACD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Black Sabbath / Paranoid (Japan SHM-SACD) DSD 2.8MHz-64fs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.23 dB -14.70 dB 8:01 01-War Pigs
    DR11 -0.25 dB -12.80 dB 2:53 02-Paranoid
    DR14 -1.29 dB -19.03 dB 4:34 03-Planet Caravan
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.47 dB 5:57 04-Iron Man
    DR10 -0.24 dB -12.59 dB 4:53 05-Electric Funeral
    DR11 -0.19 dB -13.50 dB 7:09 06-Hand of Doom
    DR11 -2.19 dB -15.90 dB 2:31 07-Rat Salad
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.57 dB 6:14 08-Fairies Wear Boots

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 352800 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 1
    Bitrate: 5645 kbps
    Codec: DSD64

19. I think the Paranoid SACD is indeed better than its reputation. Definitely better than the original WB CD, and better than the HDtracks "as is", that is: as long as nobody finds a proper EQ "cure" for the brightness of the HDtracks. Anyway, last time I checked, I preferred the 33PD over the SACD and the Intercord CD over the 33PD, despite the drop-outs on Iron Man which are present on the Intercord but not on the 33PD or the SACD.

Anyway, I would be interested too in what exactly it is that people here dislike about the SACD. I admit I don't remember myself - probably I wasn't entirely happy with the EQ and the hiss level (Planet Caravan might be a good track to check that out)... any other problems noted with the SACD?

IIRC, none of the masterings you mentioned is overly compressed.

EDIT: The s/t portion of the 33PD sounds good too IIRC, but it is incomplete and definitely not as great as the s/t SACD. See the first post in this thread for details on my favorite s/t hybrid.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    mikehbkwm and Music_dude like this.
  20. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

For Paranoid, I’ve found that the 33PD sounds rather similar to the Intercord. The SACD sounds heavier (imo), and more closely resembles the needle drop I have of the Vertigo swirl first press (thanks to Linda!). I’d have to say the needle drop is my absolute favourite, since that’s as close as I can get to the original sound of the LP itself.

21. damnit

The Sacd of Paranoid to me sounds similar to the bass heavy original German Vertigo Swirl.
    From what I have read some or most feel the midrange is recessed a bit on the Sacd.

mikehbkwm likes this.
  22. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Appreciate all the replies on this, looking forward to getting my 33PD and checking out Paranoid. Good to know about Iron Man on the S/T.

Music_dude likes this.
  23. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Since some (or many) of the digital masterings available are far from perfect, it would be nice to have the best vinyl pressings (as an alternative) discussed here too. If one is dissatisfied with a particular digital mastering for example, maybe there's a vinyl of the same album that fits the bill a has a wonderful sound. So, IMHO, this thread should list the best digital masterings of an album, and if this album's digital mastering sounds bad nonetheless, just add a vinyl alternative to the list too (if this vinyl souds good, of course). That way you'll have just one thread with all the best Black Sabbath masterings. Just my opinion anyway, and i know many will disagree. Great thread though! Cheers.

Music_dude, mikehbkwm and Queezma like this.
  24. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Regarding Paranoid releases:

@blacksabbathrainbow Linda - thank you for your thoughts above and guidance on this, really appreciate it.

I've had some time to digest the 2010 SACD, the 33PD, Intercord, and a UK Vertigo Vinyl Pressing. My thoughts are this:

1. I'm leaning towards the Intercord (1986 West Germany) as being my favorite simply because the EQ is very similar to the UK Vertigo (both sound raw and mean), best way I can describe it. It's the perfect balance of low end with some brightness on the high end.

2. The 33PD and SACD are a close 2nd for me and I would describe both of them as more of a relaxed EQ or flat transfer(they are very similar to me). IMO, the SACD is probably closer to what the Master Tape sounds like (again, my opinion only). I can honestly say I like the SACD a little better than the 33PD.

3. The HDtracks and WB CD pressing are a distant 3rd place and since I've never heard additional releases that's how I rank them as of today. These two are so bright and are EQ'd/dialed up too much for me. I used to love the WB back in the day as I didn't know anything better, but now that I've had access to additional release, it's no longer going to be played anymore.

This has been a good discussion as Sabbath to me is the father of Metal and there wouldn't be a Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc. etc. without Sabbath starting it all.

25. Of course, I have already mentioned that I am not entirely satisfied with any digital release of e.g. TE or NSD. I believe I have also mentioned that in such cases, one might indeed go for an LP or needledrop (and when I say such things, I always have in mind AAA, and usually early, LP pressings). Beyond that, however, I honestly don't think there'd be much interesting to discuss: most people on this forum who have listened to multiple Sabbath vinyl releases seem to prefer early UK LPs anyway. There are exceptions of course, but even if someone here were saying that they prefer e.g. some early Australian LP pressing of the debut, there would hardly be many others here who own the same pressing and thus would be able to agree or disagree. (For such discussions, threads explicitly dealing with vinyl would be more suitable, since they are more likely to be joined by a large number of vinyl enthusiasts.)

Thank you very much for your valuable comments! This is an album that I am never entirely satisfied with masteringwise, and thus I keep revisiting it, but so far I always end up preferring the Intercord despite the drop-outs during Iron Man.
    I do agree with you that the Intercord tends to sound closest to the UK LP; however, the differences I have heard between multiple needledrops of the UK LP were significantly larger than the differences between the 33PD and the Intercord CD, so it really depends on which LP-rip one is listening to (or, if listening to the actual LP, which equipment we use for playing it).