Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. True.

I don't know to who ask for any vintage stuff to be released in an official capacity. Is it Tony (or Geezer, even) who is blocking much, if not all, of Sabbath's footage throughout the years? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that I read where Tony didn't even want the "Expanded Editions" of S/T, Paranoid or Master Of Reality to be released. -

Or ... is it Sharon Osbourne who holds the cards (does she have any rights to the catalog ... and if so, to what extent?)? - Maybe it's a combination of the two (or three, four or how ever many people have a say in the Sabbath pie and how it's doled out).

As a fan, it sucks how so many of my heroes seem reticent to put out stuff that would be of interest (in whatever format) as they get closer to the endline. I suppose they have their reasons, but still ... it sucks.

btw - I realize that any of my "heroes" have no obligation to put out anything more than what they have already.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. I don't see how Sharon Osbourne could be involved, and with what interest? She's Ozzy's manager, she certainly doesn't personally hold any rights on Sabbath's recordings. Also, so many people call her greedy, but so far nobody has been able to explain to me how exactly she would profit from not releasing anything.
    Again, we don't know, but based on the clues we have, Tony is most likely the/a significant blocking factor. As far as I heard, it was him who prevented the Black & Blue DVD and Cal Jam audio releases, and him and/or other band members who prevented The Rebel from being included in the 2009 Deluxe releases.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Music_dude likes this.
  3. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Strange... It seems very counterintuitive when you consider that Tony would (and should!) be proud of Sabbath’s many accomplishments, would likely want there to be a legacy to look back on, honour the fans by giving them what they want, and make some money in the process. AFAIK, that seems fairly logical but of course we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. I’m sure he has his reasons, but it would be nice if he could expand a bit on them. In fact, this would make a great interview question!

4. As far as Sharon goes ... I know she manages Ozzy, but I thought she also managed Black Sabbath for the whole 13 album and tour ( and had assumed the role of gatekeeper of their catalog ). If I am wrong in that aspect, just put it down to rumor and/or misinformation/miseducation.

However, as far as not profiting from Ozzy's or Sabbath's catalog, she's vindictive. I can certainly see her not putting out stuff because she has a beef with certain entities or certain reasons.

The refusal of including "Shot In The Dark" (because Phil what's-his-face had a writing credit) on any collection of songs past The Ultimate Sin points in that direction - at the least.

The 2002 Ozzy remasters (where Daisley and Kerslake were "replaced") is probably the best example. That was a crime.

If Sharon has no hooks into Sabbath's catalog .... then I am grateful. It makes it less painful to understand (and easier to respect) if Iommi and/or Butler do not want any future stuff released.

The Hud likes this.
  5. By all accounts, it seems that Tony is an extreme perfectionist. This would explain why he didn't want Black & Blue (a compilation of Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult performances, two bands that don't really fit together), Cal jam 1974 (I've been told their copy contained a buzzing noise that Tony disliked) and The Rebel (an interesting but early and thus atypical Sabbath song) to be released. It might also explain why on Live Evil, not just the album as such but every song is compiled from different shows.

Music_dude likes this.
  6. I don't think I have ever heard that Sharon were managing the band at any time. I am not saying that's impossible but I would like to see evidence rather than just assume it.
    I know the Daisley etc stories, of course, but Sabbath is not Ozzy solo. And in all 3 examples I have cited, nothing I've read or heard points towards Sharon having anything to do with them. Sharon Osbourne as gatekeeper to their catalogue? Would be news to me. Again, I would like to see evidence.

7. That's why I said I might have been misinformed/miseducated about Sharon's involvement with Sabbath.

I certainly understand the POV that Tony Iommi is a perfectionist and that's why a lot of Sabbath's music (both studio and live renditions) will not be released in an official capacity.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  8. Music_dude

You’re absolutely correct! Ozzy laments this fact in a biography written by Mick Wall in the mid 80’s. Ozzy said Tony would sit in the studio for days just tuning up, and when on stage, he would instantly have a tuning problem, leading to long silences between songs. Albums would take increasingly longer to record since Tony wanted to take ages over everything etc.. Ozzy acknowledged that in the beginning, Tony was the driving force of the band, but in the end Tony’s stubborn pursuit of artistic perfection meant that he always had to have the last word.

9. That's Ozzy's perspective, of course. I am sure there's some truth to it, but it's not like he's a perfectly objective observer of things Sabbath.

Music_dude likes this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

To be fair, keeping Gibsons in tune is sometimes a massive and neverending ordeal.

11. Music_dude

True, it’s also worth mentioning that at the time of these interviews, Ozzy and Sabbath were definitely not on the best of terms. This no doubt coloured his perception and retelling of events, imo. In fact, it really wasn’t until prior to recording the 13 album that Ozzy and Tony admitted their mistakes and shortcomings to one another. Thankfully, they were able to resolve everything.

12. Exactly. For anyone who has read some of their interviews from the last, say, 40 decades, it must be obvious that at least Tony, Ozzy and Geezer keep re-writing and re-telling Sabbath's history in very different ways, depending on who is singing for Sabbath at the time and who is angry at whom.
    Not everything though. Not too long after the end of the final tour, Ozzy informed the public that Tony had been bullying him around during the tour and that he (Ozzy) was happy about being back with his solo band where he called the shots.

Music_dude likes this.
  13. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Yeah, I thought that was strange and I find it hard to believe. In the late 70’s when they were still young men and driving each other up the walls after a decade of touring/recording - then yeah I can believe that happened. But their most recent tour, after all they’ve been through, together and apart, and Ozzy with the star-power of having one of the most successful solo careers ever? No - I don’t see that happening.

14. Music_dude

Wow, I hadn’t heard about the bullying part.

15. Music_dude

Or perhaps Ozzy just perceived it as such... we don’t really know. I suppose anything’s possible, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense for that to be happening this late in the game! Lol

Gus Tomato likes this.
  16. I am sorry, my memory actually overstated Ozzy's claims. I just checked, and Ozzy did not use the term "bullying":

Although he seemed to enjoy Black Sabbath’s farewell tour when it was happening, Ozzy says now it wasn’t the case. “With Sabbath, all I am is a singer with a band,” he says on his day off. “This is a different thing. I’ve got a lot of freedom and I have fun with it.
    “It’s not allowed to have ****ing fun with Sabbath,” he continues. “It’s too serious. Tony [Iommi] was trying to have a go at me, saying, ‘Don’t ****ing talk over my solos.’ I go, ‘OK, are you sure? ‘Cause most of the ****ing song is solos. The intro to the song is ****in’ five minutes and then I sing for about two seconds and then it’s another one.’ With my own thing, I’m looking to have fun, and that’s what music’s about for me. I’m not a serious ****ing singer. I’m just a frontman who’s trying to get the crowd going in front.”

Ozzy Osbourne: On the Road With the Prince of Darkness

In 2017, Osbourne did say a final farewell with the band that started his career and that helped lay the foundation for heavy metal, as he reunited for a final run with Black Sabbath. "I didn't have a great time," he admits. "I spent nine or 10 years in Sabbath, but I'd been away from them for over 30 years. With them, I'm just a singer. With me, I get to do what I want to do. I was getting bad vibes from them for being Ozzy. I don't know, what the f- else can I be?"
    Ozzy Osbourne: Despite the name of his tour, he’s not retiring

Osbourne also claimed that he has "moved on" from the band, and compared his relationship to the rest of SABBATH on their recent tour to reconnecting with a former girlfriend after several decades.
    "I'll tell you what it was like. It's like when you're younger and you met a girl, Susie, and you break up and you don't see her for 30 years," he said. "Then she's in town and you go, 'Oh, I'll give Susie a call,' because your memory only remembers the good parts and you can narrow it then to a week and you go, 'I remember that week and it was lovely.' But then you go back and you go, 'I forgot the ****ing four and three-quarter years I was ****ing miserable.'"
    Osbourne, who is currently on the road on his own farewell tour as a solo artist, described his current trek as "great fun." He explained: "I'm in control and it's so much better. I get more pleasure out of doing the gigs now."

OZZY OSBOURNE On TONY IOMMI: 'Do I Like Working With Him? Not Really.'

Most of what Ozzy's saying here is rather vague, other than mentioning that Tony didn't want him to talk over the guitar solos - which (as I remember Tim1954 already pointed out at some point) seems a reasonable request. Basically, Ozzy's problem seems to be that with Sabbath, he isn't the boss, and the others expect him to do a good job, while as a solo artist, he is in charge and none of his band members would dare to criticize him.

Music_dude and hutchguv like this.
  17. old school

old school Senior Member

I was at Cal Jam 74 and Ozzy would be annoying screaming over Tony’s solos. A good example is the song War Pigs check it out on YouTube Ozzy won’t shut up with the yeah, yeah, yeah over Tony’s solo. Tony, Geezer & Bill we’re on fire that day with some awesome Hendrix inspired feedback from Tony who played flawlessly. Sabbath were better than Deep Purple that day and I’m a rabid Purple and Blackmore fan.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  18. Music_dude

@blacksabbathrainbow: Wow, I can just imagine what Iommi must have thought of Dio! He was notorious for interjecting his own wails, moans and phrases while Iommi was playing!:p Lol. Live Evil and the “lost Live Evil” bonus disc for Mob Rules comes to mind.

19. You were at Cal Jam!? Wow. I imagine that must have been an unforgettable experience. Very good point about Ozzy talking during Tony's solos even back then. Based on what I see and hear on the available videos, I must say all 4 were on fire. Children of the Grave sounds like speed metal in triplets.

old school likes this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm sure Jim Simpson and Patrick Meehan have something to do with live material not being released from the old days.

Look at the bright side, there are plenty of ROIO shows circulating to enjoy, and every so often something new pops up.
    There are shows out there people don't want to set free due to some "boys club" stuff.

21. Hmmm, good point. I never thought about that. But did Ronnie really talk during the solos? Maybe it is mostly solos that Tony is worried about?

Music_dude likes this.
  22. Music_dude

True... In a way I can see Tony’s point. Not so much with the solos, but I could do without Ozzy’s somewhat annoying oh, oh, oh, oh, oh..... chant at the beginning of Iron Man, and his aye, aye, aye! during the start of Into The Void, for example - I’d much rather hear Tony’s pure, unadulterated riffs on their own.

23. Gus Tomato

They were a match made in Heaven! (and Hell)
    Sorry, couldn’t help it :hide:

24. Gus Tomato

Gutted of course to hear of the passing of Martin Birch which has been well covered by this site. I really wish he had worked with Sabbath more in the 80’s but it seemed Iron Maiden had him all to themselves and he really delivered for them in their ‘Golden Years’.

Today I finally got in the post my eBay purchase of the Japan Paranoid TECP. Mint condition and got for a great price.
    Great to have one of the few good pressings of Paranoid on cd, I want to get the s/t TECP as well and then it’s back down the rabbit hole trying to find the best versions of the other albums that suit me.