Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. I think I hear something like a little drop-out on the WB CD in the right channel at the very beginning of TutN, at the 2nd or 3rd hit of the hi-hat (before any other instrument kicks in). I don't hear it on the Deluxe or the HDtracks. Is that what you're referring to?

2. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Yup.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. You've got good ears! I had never noticed it, and I've listened to this CD quite a lot of times.

4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Just got the 1988 WB Never Say Die cd. When imported onto iTunes I noticed ‘Swinging The Chain’ was 9 seconds longer than the 96 Castle version and thought it was most likely extra tape silence at the end of the track - but no, it’s actually more of Bill singing, so there is an early fade on the 96. This is great news to me!

Anthrax and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  5. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I highly recommend the Spectrum, easily the best NSD sounds digitally imo.

BDC and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  6. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Hi.

You seem to be very in the know about all things Sabbath, so I'll ask you something that is slightly off topic to this thread. Do you only do digital or is there a thread on the vinyl versions as well?

I inherited a bunch of records and one was an original Scandinavian pressing of Technical Ecstacy in great condition, with inner sleeve in good shape.

Black Sabbath – Technical Ecstasy (1976, Vinyl)

Is this a good one? If you have a link to a more appropriate thread, I'll post the question there.

Thanks in advance :)

7. I only do digital. Maybe have a look here:
    The Best Black Sabbath Pressing to own on vinyl

GarySteel likes this.
  8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Huh, guess this one got by me, and Linda indeed mentions it on her digital thread-Just checked..
    "Easily" tells me I need an upgrade...

9. Back to Sabotage:

I listened to both the original UK and US vinyl, then revisited the CDs. I still hear no shrillness or harshness on the 2009 Sanctuary CD, instead the high end sounds rolled off. The Japan 1989 23PD lacks low end. I am pretty sure now that my preferred version for side 1 is the original WB CD - not just for those tracks that are obviously damaged on the 1986 Castle CD, but also for "Hole in the Sky". For side 2 - today represented by "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" - it's a close call between the Castle and WB. In my shootouts today, the WB won, rather easily, on my headphones but the Castle won, more narrowly, on my speakers. I also noticed a drop-out on "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" on the WB at 0:45, when Ozzy sings "me" (in "Tell me people am I going insane"). I don't hear that drop-out on any of the other tested CDs.

Has anyone noticed any other drop-outs or flaws on Sabotage on either the original WB or the 1986 Castle?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  10. Most people I know prefer either the original WB CD or the Spectrum.

11. Gus Tomato

WB Technical Ecstasy arrived today / looks good next to the WB Never Say Die.
    Noticed ‘Dirty Women’ is a few seconds longer than 96 Castle version.

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

What’s an easy to find greatest hits on a cd that isn’t terrible sounding? Something I can find on discogs

13. Gus Tomato

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

Just listened to a 1992 CD of Dehumanizer, I cant help wishing Ozzy had been the vocalist on this record, the compositions are the closest to classic Sabbath material of the 70s. Its still a good record with Ronnie of course, but it could have been an all time killer with Ozzy :)

15. I have no idea, sorry. I have never really been interested in Sabbath compilations and thus never checked their masterings.

16. That's surprising. For me, anyway.

17. So far my EQ experiments with the Paranoid SACD were unsuccessful. I guess it's hardly possible to reduce that hiss to an acceptable level without affecting the overall sound quality too much. Anyway, if anyone tries and feels they've succeeded, I would be interested in hearing the results.

The good news is that a friend of mine fixed the tape drop-outs on the Intercord "Iron Man", using EQed patches from the 33PD, and I am very happy with the result. To me it sounds perfect. I am very grateful, this is one major problem solved!

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I remember really liking the old Castle for Am I Going Insane and especially The Writ.

I should to a head-to-head between that one and WB, you've made me curious.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

+1

20. Yes, please! I am looking forward to your conclusions.

21. As for the drop-out at the beginning of the Mob Rules original WB CD, the following very old webpage
    BLACK SABBATH - SV06 SLEEPING VILLAGE CDNOW
    lists several more:
    [1] 00:01 right channel minor dropout
    [3] 01:46 right channel dropout
    [3] 05:22 right channel dropout
    [3] 07:23 right channel very tiny dropout
    [5] 01:17 left channel very tiny dropout
    [5] 02:40 left channel dropout
    [7] 00:53 left channel very short tiny dropout
    Might be interesting to compare all those spots to the 2010 Sanctuary and/or the old (dynamic, non-compressed) HDtracks.

P.s.: Obviously, much that is written on that webpage is obsolete, and I would disagree with many of its claims anyway, especially because the authors seem to really like the 1996 Castle remasters, they completely ignore the topic of dynamics/loudness, and they seem to deduce the quality of a mastering mainly from the absence or presence of drop-outs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    rnranimal likes this.
  22. Gus Tomato

Ah nice one Linda! - I’ve heard of that website and saw it mentioned loads of times but thought it was long gone.

23. It is long gone. The link I posted leads to a copy in the Internet Archive. And again: I disagree with much that is written on that website. But their list of drop-outs, incomplete as it is, may be helpful.

24. Gus Tomato

:righton: Be good to have a look at it though.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I only recall the one at the very beginning. Probably because it's at the very beginning. Same with Never Say Die WB CD.