Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. According to the table on that webpage, there's one at 0:01 of Neon Knights of the HaH WB CD as well, but I don't hear that one.

rnranimal likes this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm sure I had the H&H WB CD in my comparisons for finding the mastering I liked the best but don't remember anything about it.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. It's not great. No need to remember it IMO.

rnranimal likes this.
  4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Ignorance is bliss is my opinion on drop-outs / I don’t wanna know! :D

5. Yeah ... It gets to the point, sometimes, where I analyze the music too much instead of enjoying it.

6. Gus Tomato

I just think if I hear it once I’ll forever hear it. Kinda like seeing those continuity errors in films.

7. I hate when that happens ... sometimes. :agree:

Edit: since I have time to edit ... I realize this is part of the process of figuring out which version/mastering is attuned to ones ears the most favorably. :agree:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Gus Tomato likes this.
  8. If it's a matter of getting familiar with Sabbath ....The single disc of the Warner Bros CD We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll would probably suffice (and it has a high DR rating!). It's dirt cheap and a pretty cool intro to Black Sabbath.

The best sounding compilation is up for debate. :)

m00nb34m5 and shokhead like this.
  9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I was looking and found I do have their greatest hits on castle communions

10. Cool!

Since you are familiar with Sabbath, ... now it's time to splurge on the (SHM)-SACDs! :winkgrin:

Black Sabbath's deep cuts (often) are the "greatest hits").

Those first 6 Sabbath albums are absolute gold, and each album should be listened to from top to bottom / start to finish. They are all amazing! The older I get, the more I appreciate those albums.

11. Gus Tomato

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

13. I hear you guys. Luckily, most drop-outs I have noticed on Sabbath CDs were less notable than the ones on the Paranoid and Intercord Castle CDs. Generally I care much more about the general sound quality of a recording than about a few drop-outs. In case of the original Mob Rules WB CD, I am so far not really worried about them - if they turn out to be disturbing, I still have the 201o Sanctuary and maybe the 2013 HDtracks to turn to. In case of Sabotage, at this point a part of me kinda hopes that I will discover more rather annoying drop-outs on side B of the original WB CD, because if that happens, I will finally be positive that the hybrid (saide 1: WB, side 2: 1986 Castle) is what I want. Anyway, I know that's silly. I'll probably end up listening to the WB CD on odd and the hybrid on even days - or something like that. ;)

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Listening to the 1990 Castle Greatest Hits CD. This sounds fantastic to me! I’m really loving the Vol. 4 songs as I don’t have that Castle CD yet.

I played the Castle Sabotage last night and definitely a funny sounding Megalomania. Otherwise it mostly sounded good. I agree the WB is probably the go to although the 2009 is very solid too.

I just also played about half of the Castle Paranoid and really liked it. It is a bit darker but still a fine version. The 18 plus minutes from Live at Last tacked on the end was also pretty cool. This ones a keeper, glad I picked it up!

15. Gus Tomato

wrat, Mark J, Jam757 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m revisiting the 2010 Deluxe Edition of Heaven and Hell and this is a great sounding disc. Others have mentioned the top end and I agree it’s fantastic here. Shimmering on Die Young. I actually have this courtesy of Linda (thank you!!!) but decided it was a must order before it eventually balloons in price.

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Finally getting a chance to listen to the original fat boy 2cd of Live Evil. This blows away the 1996 version! Great sounding discs!

hi_watt likes this.
  18. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Any opinion on the new versions of Heaven & Hell and The Mob Rules?

19. Remasters: not good. Portland: very cool if you don't mind a rather raw recording and mix.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  20. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

There is a dedicated thread to the 2021 remasters Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules - 2021 Deluxe Edit.

General consensus is these versions are different sounding albums, and not in a good way (though some members like the new sound).

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

We Sold Our Soul was my intro to the band way back when, when it came out. Never looked back after I got that album. :righton:

22. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

whats the consensus on this release. I was organizing some cds and forgot I even had it.

[​IMG]

23. I haven't listened to it. It is a compilation though, and the value of any compilation obviously depends on which are your favorite songs.

24. Gus Tomato

I have it, it’s the same as the infamous black box masterings by Inglot and Hersh (I think that’s their names?). Excellent looking package with great pics but probably the least regarded masterings of Sabbath unfortunately. Good for a blast in the car though.