Linda's favorite digital versions of all Black Sabbath albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Dec 1, 2019.

1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I recently did a shootout again between the 2009 and the SACD of Vol 4, and now I'm leaning towards the SACD as the best. Both are good masterings though.

2. Tomcat83

Tomcat83 Forum Resident

I'm not fan of VOL4 2021 remaster but neither the hater of this remaster. I've just wanted to tell that 2021 remaster is acceptable for me. Tony and Geezer were involved in 2021 remastering process and it makes this remaster interesting in some way. Interesting doesn't mean the best remaster.

wrat and Greenalishi like this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

LOL....Your probably still better looking....I'm hitting 56 later this month, which just ain't right. Maybe my crowning achievement in life is keeping my hair though.

Next time I get a hearing test, I should note exactly where my losses are. Thing is, the things I liked before having hearing loss seem to sound the same. I like to think my loss is even across the spectrum, but I know that's not true...I suspect the 2012 Pierce Vol IV is much more an ear bleeder for other people than me. I just know I hear too many cymbals and it ain't right.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Greenalishi likes this.
  4. I think that's spot on. In my view, as long as you notice it is not right that the cymbals drown out the guitars most of the time on a Black Sabbath recording, your combination of brain and ears works pretty well.:)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    hutchguv and BDC like this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Affirmation appreciated..... Crazy but I just noticed my treble was goosed on my home stereo when listening to some CD's, and it's probably been there a while. I decided to check because the particular discs were killing me with treble... My main speakers are actually a tad on the dark side, so I didn't notice it with most of the music I've been playing..

6. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I’m not sure if this was meant to be as funny as I think it is

but this actually made me really chuckle

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  7. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Im sure Lita doesn't think it's funny.

hutchguv and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  8. ?

rnranimal likes this.
  9. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Probably a reference to them going out with each other in the mid 80’s.
    Must’ve stung to see her have a huge hit w/Ozzy in ‘89. Great song too, love Ozzy’s mournful voice.

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

That backward processed acoustic is so cool. Only song I like by her since the Runaways. Only song I like by him since the first two solo albums. Cool song

11. Jmetamatic

More a reference to the fact he physically abused her (allegedly).

12. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry, I was just confused because I was in a hurry and didn't read everything carefully, so somehow I thought @hutchguv was commenting on @BDC's post rather than my own. Exactly, when I wrote that bit about disagreeing with many of Tony's decisions, I actually thought of Lita and what she had written about Iommi abusing and almost killing her.
    It actually wasn't supposed to be funny but I am aware that my post was phrased very vaguely. @Jmetamatic was 100% right, it was this that I had in mind (scroll to the parts about her relationship with Iommi):
    Lita Ford reveals trysts with Bon Jovi, Van Halen in tell-all book

This is one of many reasons why I consider it important to avoid idealizing a person just because of their music.

wrat and hutchguv like this.
  13. hutchguv

Wow, I’m really sorry about this

When you said

I love Tony's music. But I disagree with many decisions he's made in his life. And IMO mixing and/or mastering decisions are among the more harmless of those.

I was laughing at the sarcastic comment about Tony

Not the the things that Tony got up to

Linda, I like to think you know me a little bit and I hate all that sexist misogynistic behaviour

I’m really sorry, I thought you were making a sarcastic joke about Tony

14. hutchguv

I hope my explanation is ok

I’m really sorry if that offended anyone

And what Tony got up to with Lita is definitely not funny…. It’s horrific

I think I sometimes forget that text is very easily taken many different ways and doesn’t come across the same way as saying something in real life…. I think I need to choose my words more carefully

I have so much respect for Linda and I’m really sorry for my confusion

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  15. I guess I was being serious and sarcastic at the same time. My point was that I see no value in being the kind of fan who applauds everything their favorite musicians do.

And don't worry, I never thought you were laughing about what Tony did to Lita.

hutchguv likes this.
  16. hutchguv

Excellent, thanks :)

And I totally agree with your point

I like the art… I don’t have to like the artist as a person.

A bit like…. I like my Hi Fi but I’m sure some of the people who make it are not nice either

17. Jmetamatic

Chill bro, we all type things that can sometimes be misinterpreted. I was just pointing out, that Linda was right, about crappy mastering, or remastering, is not the most heinous thing he's done.

blacksabbathrainbow and hutchguv like this.
  18. hutchguv

Thanks, I appreciate that :)

19. I just had another (relatively quick) listen. I know you hate Digipaks, so the 2009 and the 2016 are no options for you, and I think the original WB sounds fine.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  20. Gus Tomato

Cool! Cheers for that :righton:

I know you’re not a big fan of the 1991 TECP’s (apart from maybe the first two albums) but what do you make of Vol 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath from that series?

I got them recently and am loving them! (of course I’m coming from the ‘96 Castles) Also I like how they have the full artwork from the original lps’ reproduced and correct lyrics. They are safe to blast at full volume anyway compared to the Castles.

I can totally accept the 2009’s are probably better sounding but I just dont like new (2009 to me is new) CDs for older albums. Between digipaks and booklets filled mostly with an essay (and admittedly great pics) - just not for me.

Edit: I finally have a Vol 4 with the correct channels/96’s were reversed.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  21. I frankly don't remember how the TECP Vol. 4 and SBS sounded, but I don't think they were among my favorites, or I would have mentioned them here at some point. But the important thing is you found copies you like.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  22. Gus Tomato

WB/Master Of Reality and Sabotage next and then the hard task of trying to track down original non-pirated versions of Headless Cross and Tyr.

blacksabbathrainbow and hutchguv like this.
  23. hutchguv

I know they have versions available on discogs right now…. But I see Headless Cross is quite expensive

I actually didn’t even realise these albums are out of print

It does seem bizarre that a band as big as Black Sabbath actually have albums that are not available to buy

24. Gus Tomato

Yes, prices are ridiculous for those two it seems, and the market is flooded with fakes unfortunately.
    I’ll get em eventually, it’s half the fun tracking them down ;)

25. hutchguv

BDC and blacksabbathrainbow like this.