Lindsey Buckingham Heart Surgery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’m really sorry to hear this. This is a risk that can happen though. I’m hoping beyond hope that his voice will be ok.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Was he a drinker? Alcohol is a class 1 carcinogen

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Good to see that the Internet M.D.’s are on the case tonight.

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Oh man, just saw him do a solo thing at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this last October, and he was on freaking fire!
    Hope he recovers well.

6. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

This news really gutted me today.

When a gift as beautiful as Lindsey's is damaged - it's always heartbreaking.

On the other hand - it sounds like the surgery was successful and his heart is doing well. And that's the main thing, really. Everything else can be dealt with one way or another. I'm reminded of the vocal damage Harry Nilsson and Julie Andrews went through - they managed to survive it and do wonderful things.

Me being me - looking for the positive - I also wondered if, perhaps, Lindsey was lucky to have been fired. If this were unplanned emergency surgery - I think being home, and not touring, might have made a difference in his survival. I can't imagine this turning out as well if he were by himself in a hotel room on a world tour somewhere.

Anyway - all my best wishes to Lindsey for a speedy recovery - and many good thoughts for his family as well. Thanks for posting this thread.

Cheers,
    Paul

7. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Let's try not to speculate on anything that might have caused this situation .
    Good luck and best wishes to Mr. Buckingham and his loved ones.

startdust443 and longdist01 like this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Good point, although he was out this past Fall on his own Solo Tour, so it could have occurred just as easily at that time in any Area of the US during his Fall 2018 Tour, but glad he was home and got well cared for at a local Hospital/Medical Center(I assume possibly at UCLA Medical Center based on where he lives, but did not read where he was taken to for Surgery).

WalkAThinLine likes this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I had open heart surgery a few years ago and it definitely damaged my voice (from the breathing apparatus they had shoved down my throat for five days). But take heart. My voice has mostly recovered, though it's took a couple of years. Only my falsetto is completely gone after that surgery.

My full voice however is actually able to reach heights that my falsetto previously went to. I know that I'm not famous, and my voice is not of great concern, but I believe that Buckingham will (mostly) recover.

As someone with heart disease, stress and how you handle it is part of it, but it can be genetic factors, drug use, diet.

Everyone in life has stress. Buckingham's stress with Nicks is probably no worse than many people's stress regarding an ex.

It's how one deals with it that matters. Lindsey reportedly has anger management problems, and obviously does not deal with stress well. I hope that this surgery is the beginnning of a long "second life" for the man. He is lucky he survived and I wish him well.

10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

LB’s family history of heart disease is more than sufficient explanation on its own for his needing heart surgery at the age of 69; i’ve seen people much younger than him with heart disease with no other risk factors. Cocaine use does cause accelerated heart disease and I have seen people in their 30s with significant heart disease with just cocaine and tobacco as risk factors.

I’m an anaesthetist and intensivist (common combination in UK medical practice) and as posted above intubation is the most likely cause of vocal cord damage after surgery followed by direct nerve damage secondary to the surgery. Vocal cord damage secondary to intubation can recover completely or can be permanent.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. Lurch

Lurch Well-Known Member

Love the man and his music, saw him recently on his tour and he was great as always.

Speedy recovery LB, your fans are with you!

12. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I’m really sorry to hear this.

13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Just Stevie Nicks then??:D

Joking aside, the news I was expecting from the LB camp was release of the album he had been working on.....certainly not this....

14. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Saw this at CNN. Bummer, but he's alive.

"That's alright, I still have my guitar. Look out!!!" – Jimi

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Focusing on the bigger picture here...I hope he’s recovering.

Besides, in moderation, alcohol does not cause health issues.

905 likes this.
  16. And if they were damaged, well...hey, such damage helped make Bonnie Tyler's career!

17. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Love Lindsey! Saw him many times solo and he is a performer that I never get tired of. Love the vinyl anthology that he just put out. Get better sir, you are awesome!

18. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I presume he had bypass surgery? As long as his arteries are good for another 3o years and his guitar fingerpicking prowess is intact all is well.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Get better, Lindsey....oh great six string swami!

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I hope his loss of voice isn’t permanent. :(

21. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

Terrible news, he did look healthy but that family history was a ticking timebomb. Glad he got successful surgery, wishing for a speedy recovery.

As a side note I hope FM reach out, not just Christine McVie who's reportedly the only who was in touch after the settlement...

WalkAThinLine and brownie61 like this.
  22. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi Thread Starter

23. The Hole Got Fixed

24. The Hole Got Fixed

25. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It's Peter Green's fault...

Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. He hasn't been a spring chicken for a few decades and should slow down a bit.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.