Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaz

chaz Senior Member

They should go on strike for more money Now.

2. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Sadly, I don't think it will. Lindsey will now be known as "the guy who tried to sue us". But, stranger things have happened.

John Grimes likes this.
  3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

read the lawsuit ....a point confirmed is Finn & Mike Campbell are contract players only. Five musicians, five lawyers.... what could go wrong?

Lindsey Buckingham - Fleetwood Mac Complaint

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

This is the one forum I post on that seems to spill over with hatred for Stevie Nicks. Personally, I think Lindsey has probably been a royal prick to her and the others well beyond what has been reported. But that does not stop me from loving his music.

However, objectively speaking, a tour without Stevie would have sold less. You can trot out your insults about her voice, her old woman moves, etc. and that is fine, but just because people on this forum feel that way does not mean the rest of the world does. Stevie Nicks is probably one of the more beloved figures in popular music from the past 40 years, and that's just the way it is. That certainly does not mean people on here need to like her, but let's not act as though it is some mystery why she is still in the band. The general public adores her. You and your spouse and three people you know might hate her, but that isn't the world.

5. True, there aren't many other places where people think the world is really waiting for Peter Green to rejoin. :)

6. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Buckingham is in his 60s... it could also be they were concerned with quality of performance - the shows three days a week I'm pretty sure is what Chris and John and Mick could physically do - and probably Lindsay too and its arrogant that he thought he could play for Mac then jet off to do his own shows in between.

7. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Also note that there is solid evidence Lindsay was abusive to Stevie in their relationship, and certainly didn't treat her well after -

I think it comes back to Stevie was no longer willing to share the stage with her abuser and take his crap.

8. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Yes, the $$$ from the tour are really for Mick and especially John and Chris. Lindsay and Stevie don't need the money.

SonyTek likes this.
  9. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

If I'm Stevie... I can get paid while having a great time with my friend of 40 years Mike Campbell playing guitar. And he's in need because of Petty's untimely death.

Or I can be miserable sharing the stage with the ******* who tried to choke me. And make almost the same amount of money.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Being a big fan of LB, and a fan of the band in general, I have to think that most folks who go see the band now would choose to see/hear Stevie then LB if they had to choose just one. People pay hundreds of dollars for concerts like this to bring back memories, and Stevie Nicks is what most people(excluding those of us here) remember FM for. LB, Mike Campbell, whatever, people don't care. If they tried to do a big, money making tour without Stevie, they would have trouble. Which is why they opted to keep her happy.

That said, you would think that FM/Mick Fleetwood would have the legal parts in place to dismiss anybody at anytime without getting sued. It's rather shocking(to me) that they didn't have written legal contracts, only oral ones. Or am I missing something?

11. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I think it's all just a put on. Just my opinion though.

12. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

They must have hashed it out at some point over the last 25 years to continue this long since. We know they got sober.

[​IMG]

kevywevy and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It is interesting that one of the sticking points with FM and Buckingham (supposedly) was when they dismissed the idea of his touring solo when FM had tour breaks.

However, Neil Finn (with his son Liam) is touring in the UK in January 2019 to promote their new album while FM takes a break...

Just sayin'... ;)

14. Me too but Mick and his crew live in their own bubble. Otherwise, I think that they would have picked an unknown ringer for LB. in fact, why not ask Rick and Billy back instead? If they pull in the base that love and kno Mike Campbell and Neil, that’s just extra bonus plus I’m sure Mick received gnomes they appeal to somewhat of the same fan base.

15. True but let’s also consider the album cuts that had plenty of air play during that time. To your point though Stevie I would think has a little more sway than some in the band she did, after all, write their only number one and she is the best known member.

16. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

this what I am bitter about.... it could have been an excellent FM swan song....

17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

LB wants FM to be a real functioning artistic unit...not just a nostalgia act. I admire him for that. It is what I would like to see.

18. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

More than likely Stevie was upset with Lindsay about something else (or multiple things) from the past and she was just waiting for LB to cause a problem or hiccup however big or small, and then use that to convince Mick to boot him. #TeamStevie by the way. I don't think LB treated her well when they were together at all. If you're on stage and engaged with the audience and other musicians, I think it's probably easier to be next to someone who you consider to have really hurt you. But in the studio day after day working together? With no applause and adulation, just work and discussion and compromising...That's a lot harder, and explains why Stevie doesn't want to do another FM record with Lindsay but is OK with touring.

OberonOz likes this.
  19. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Good post, but that line is surely going too far. If the general public adored her, she could sell that album that she protests wouldn't sell. A comparatively small but significant portion of the general public now adores her. Probably. That's about as much as most ageing stars can expect these days.

Comet01 likes this.
  20. Really ? I don’t see her as fame material as a solo artist. So many more well deserving first. Like say Kate Bush.

boe likes this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

With John and Mick on the album it is Fleetwood Mac's swan song as far as I am concerned. Sure it would have been nice with Stevie there too, but at this stage of the game, with every member besides John and Mick (let's not forget FM is their band) having been in and out of the lineup at various stages and the band's seven-year history before Nicks, a fine album is worth more than the brand alone.

steelinYaThighs, No Bull and PDK like this.
  22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

and for you entertainment law fans....

American Express (Jan 24, 18) today announced an agreement with LaneOne, a new digital ticketing platform that will give concert-goers direct access to premium experiences for some of the most sought-after concerts. Launching this week, through LaneOne.com, concert-goers will be able to purchase official premium concert tickets, which include great seating, parking or ride-share credit, a preferred entrance and dedicated LaneOne ambassador support.

LaneOne is a joint venture between Azoff MSG Entertainment and Live Nation Entertainment created to reimagine the sales, distribution, and services for the premium experience category of the live event business. Through unique partnerships and proprietary technology, LaneOne combines access to great seats at the best shows with a suite of premium services.

Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac In Concert

American Express Elevates Concert Experiences with LaneOne
    Brand New AMEX Partnership for exclusive concert tickets with VIP benefits - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  23. That's pretty much how I feel. I like Fleetwood Mac, really like Lindsey Buckingham, and love Neil Finn. I'd pay $140 to see a Neil Finn show. I suspect his work in Fleetwood Mac will be credible and solid. Mike Campbell always plays well. I'd still rather see Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey Buckingham.

There's a time when I would have preferred to see a Lindsey solo show, but I'm not sure his voice really holds up to carrying an entire show on his own now. Fleetwood Mac was a great vehicle for what he can do.

Mooserfan likes this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He wanted to play literally in between their shows, not just when the tour was on a break for a month.

gregorya likes this.
  25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

this is true.

PDK and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.