Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

I think you are technically correct .... because you're counting the songs "Behind The Mask" (acoustic guitar 1990) and "Nothing Without You" (backing vocal 1995) .... right ?

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Just saw the show in LA last night and Lindsey was sorely missed. Christie's voice is pretty much shot...but Stevie Nicks was impressive when singing her songs. Otherwise the cover songs fell flat (Black Magic Woman and Free Falling) and they seemed like a Fleetwood Mac cover band. When they started jamming, that was very good...but no one was singing and the songs really weren't theirs anymore. Something was wrong with the sound and they didn't get it under control until about a 3rd way through the show.

3. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Black Magic Woman is a cover song, groovy

Squeezebox and AlmostHeavenWV like this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

How much were the tickets?

5. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Yeah, kind of shakin' my head at that one.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Ok correct, it wasn't a cover but felt like it. Tickets were $150 for decent seats in the upper deck.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

$150 for upper deck at Forum ?? that's insane...to think, i paid less than $40 for 3 tix of floor seats at Lindsey's LA show few months back :shake:

Nightfly68 likes this.
  8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Was front row of upper deck, I paid extra not to have someone stand up in front of me and my gal. That was actually a deal, I think lower and floor was going upwards $200. Good crowd, pretty much 10 to 1 women to men...much younger than I anticipated.

GoodKitty and YMC4 like this.
  9. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I disagree: Buckingham may have emerged as Fleetwood Mac's most prolific songwriter and main arranger and producer, but to say that Christine McVie (and John McVie and Mick Fleetwood) contributed nothing to the arrangement of his songs is debatable at best. The point is proved by a recent grey market live Buckingham-Nicks set, which includes performances of "Rhiannon" (twice) and "Monday Morning".

On both occasions, "Rhiannon" is played much too fast; Stevie Nicks even asks the band to play it at a moderate pace the second time, but Buckingham and the backing band still tear into it. Despite having the same melody and lyrics, the song is completely unremarkable: it was the r0ck-solid rhythm section of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood, who provided the correct tempo, and Christine McVie, whose superb electric piano work added the mystical atmosphere that the song needed, who transformed it into a rock classic and a hit single. Similarly, "M0nday Morning", which was such a powerful opener to Fleetwood Mac, is equally forgettable due to the clumsy and galumphing drumming: it was Mick Fleetwood's restraint and deft touch that was required to elevate it.

Thus, whilst it's probably true that without Buckingham Fleetwood Mac would have continued as a second-division band, placing albums in the lower half of the top 50, without Fleetwood Mac I don't think Buckingham would even have got that far.

csnfan, ashlee5, jamiesjamies and 3 others like this.
  10. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

To be fair - it is a cover song for around 10 out of the 12 or so musicians performing it on stage with Fleetwood Mac.

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Lindsey and Stevie don't need the money, so it isn't an incentive for them. For Mick and John it is.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

“Rhiannon” is not Lindsey’s song, and you’re complimenting Mick’s work on “Monday Morning,” not Christine’s. I don’t think she plays on that song.

Lindsey rarely used keyboards in the arrangements of his songs — I was referring to that, not criticizing Christine. And I said nothing about the effect of Mick and John on his music.

13. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, perfectly true: keyboards are rarely a lead instrument in non-Christine Mac songs. For all that, she has a fairly distinctive style (and for this reason, I'm pretty sure it's her and not Jeremy Spencer playing on "Tell Me All The Things You Do" from Kiln House — unless anybody knows differently!).

14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Exactly. everyone but Mick and John.

15. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Kinda proves who sells the tickets, doesn't it?

PRW94 likes this.
  17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

perhaps that's more to do with gullibility of the masses than quality....then again, what else is new :shh:

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If taking my girlfriend to a nice show on a Saturday night is gullible, then I'm guilty. Tough to find a decent show in LA on a Saturday night mid December that is girlfriend friendly. But hell I took her to Guided By Voices and she loved it...so maybe I need to branch out more a bit too.

19. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

gullible was meant for 'general public' sense, no offense intended. you did a good thing...hope you were rewarded it afterwords ;)
    i was just pointing out the injustice where 'incomplete' version of FMac could charge $150 for arena upper deck tix when Lindsey's goes for mere $10.

Lewisboogie and Sammy Banderas like this.
  20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Point taken...Lindsey was missed, disappointing these folks cant get along after years of whatever bitterness they have...the fans would rather have a complete cast show.

21. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Could it be an indication of whose music has the broader appeal?

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

True fans probably would, but this tour's gotten infinitely more play due to the drama and the shakeup, and it's the most expensive (for tickets) tour they've ever done. One more oldies tour with the core lineup wouldn't be anywhere near as newsworthy. It's quite different from the Mask and Time tours because the slant isn't "Can the band survive with new blood" but "Wow, they've called these new heavy hitters in."

23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Having seen the show, I'd pass unless you want to take someone special to see a great collection of songs done in a mediocre fashion. But again, Stevie Nicks was really the highlight of the show when she sang her material. The rest of the performance was not very good....I'd venture to say they should call it quits after this.

24. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

25. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

i know it surprises us more serious music fans, and especially in the internet age when answering any of these questions for a prospective ticket buyer could be done in minutes, but a LOT of even very high ticket price customers know nothing at all about what they are getting into other than it's
    'FLEETWOOD MAC' and they know they like a lot of Fleetwood Mac songs, knowing nothing about what humans are going to be on that stage performing. I am an inveterate eavesdropper at concerts especially for the sounds of grumpy dissatisfied folk and i'm always surprised by this but it's true.

Thus it isn't necessarily that those willing to pay big bucks for FM and not for LB even know that LB isn't going to be part of the FM they are paying to see; but as has been hashed out a lot in this forum, not matter how much we appreciate LB's contribution, in terms of 'writer or singer on hit songs a radio or GH fan wants to hear' he's bottom of the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.