Lindsey Buckingham new s/t album (9-17-21) ...and supporting tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 8, 2021.

1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It's been 10 years since her last album of new material and on that album she mostly wrote lyrics to music by Dave Stewart or whoever else. She contributed music to maybe 3 or 4 songs and one of them was an old song she dug up.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Since when? He’s written some super catchy stuff, but much of his FM and solo material isn’t what I would call catchy at all. Quirky? Yes. Adventerous? Yes. Catchy? Generally not.

3. Oh, right - the soundtrack tune. I remember getting that being excited that there was a stray song of his . . . But I hated that song. I quite like the new one so I guess he finally got on the right side.

agundy, D.B., team2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I think someone said another song or 2 some of the lyrics dated back to about 20 years ago just reworked them

5. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

yes, plus her droning songs on SYW really dilute and ruin the perfection of the original Gift of Screws collection.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yes, although I am newer relative to most FM Fans here, as my first FM CD was ‘The Dance’, I then bought the smaller Deluxe CD Sets in the early 2000s, along with a few of LB’s Solo Albums and realized that ‘Tusk’ was not full of mostly ‘catchy’ Songs compared to the Self Titled Album and ‘Rumours’. I have since read about the history of the Band and apparently the sales for ‘Tusk’ were disappointing, although could have been due to also being a Double Album, but also that it was not ‘Rumours-Part 2’ with the ‘catchy’ Songs.

Even ‘Mirage’ was not full of ‘catchy’ Songs overall, but I find that sometimes the Best Songs require several listens to reveal their layers, and why I enjoy ‘Tusk’ and ‘Mirage’ and the LB Solo Albums(although the 3 CD Anthology Set might be all most LB Fans need or the Vinyl Box Set for it), as much as the ST Album, ‘Rumours’, ‘Tango in the Night’ and ‘Say You Will’. I went on to buy the Super Deluxe Box Sets for their first 4 Albums, and hope they put one out for ‘Say You Will’(although I also own the Boston Concert that came out as part of the tour for the SYW Album).

7. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

“Say You Will” and “Destiny Rules” were highlights. Granted, it sounds like LB made “Destiny Rules” his own.

whisper3978 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Had Lindsey gone his own way with those songs, sure it wouldn't have sold Mac numbers. However I think it would have in an odd way, solidified his solo career. He would have had two great solo albums a decade apart and who knows. He might have used some producers instead of really going "solo".

9. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Lindsey is an alchemist. He makes the ladies in Mac sound better. The production work on Tango in the Night album alone proves that. Christine McVie had some great songs over the time before Lindsey and Stevie came. She didn't have the "Hits" in those days though. I think she benefited most from Lindsey's help. She in turn grounded him and smoothed the rough edges.
    Lindsey and Stevie are and always were a volital pair. Great harmony vocals which I am sure drew Lindsey to her. Their solo album in 73 shows flashes of brilliance. Still I think the Mac came along and salvaged their professional relationship, while their personal relationship continued to burn up like Stevie's home town( Phoenix).
    I for one am glad Lindsey has a new album, but his guitar work is my main draw to his work. I've always said he could make a great instrumental album with just his guitar. That's something I'd pay to see live as well. Just craft a show around his guitar.

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Even just on an acoustic guitar, absolutely.

11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Does the "hi-res" version have better dynamics than the cd?

12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Though I found the songs that featured super fast Travis picking on the last three albums extremely impressive and frequently stunning musically, I'm glad he's done with it. In a way it got in the way of the songs. The new album is fantastic.

13. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

No, as per usual they have the same compressed dynamics.

14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

thanks. Off to find a vinyl rip then, as usual.

15. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

:biglaugh:

16. wilbuck

wilbuck Forum Resident

17. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

'Say You Will' was a great single, but the song's ending is bizarre, even by LB standards

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

May I suggest John Cage? Perhaps a Cecil Taylor LP, blasted through speakers mounted behind an Industrial Forge?

20. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

There’s a remix on a promo single that doesn’t have the children’s choir at the end and is much more enjoyable than the album version.

Matthew Tate and JeffreyB like this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The kids were relatives of Stevie’s and John’s and they wanted to give them a little moment in the spotlight. Not so bizarre.

D.B. and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The chorus is cool at first, but not when they transform into helium-inhaling chipmunks.

23. He left in 1987 after recording Tango In The Night as he didn't like the way the band was going personally. A lot of drugs and alcohol consumed during those recording sessions.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

They’re kids, that’s what they sound like.

WhatDoIKnow and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

It's true, this is really an exceptional record for an artist at this stage of his career, or at any point..... I wondered that if this record had been slaved over, and had the benefit of the band, studio and engeeniers it would be even better than the great 70s FM records. A crazy claim I know, but safe to say that this is a far, far better record than the Mac would be able to create at the moment without Lindsey. Buckingham reminds me of another musician/composer I greatly admire (and am a much bigger fan of) Jeff Lynne. Someone just born to make music and can't stop. Like Lynne, a strange stew of early rock music, New Wave, Beach Boys and studio as an instrument influences. Jeff's recent records (aside from the great song When I was A Boy) have been serviceable but forgettable, this is not the case with LB's record though. Great melodic and crafty pop music with pathos and urgency and some great guitar playing. Lindsey has accomplished what very few are able, a spectacular and worthy late career record.