Lindsey Buckingham new s/t album (9-17-21) ...and supporting tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 8, 2021.

1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Groos ! (don't bring him down) :unhunh:

2. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Bruce?

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Wow, it didn't even enter the Billboard 200. The sales must be dire. It must sting after dredging up all the Fleetwood Mac drama in an attempt to entice interest in the album. Perhaps he should team up with Christine McVie again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

His records never did big business. Still it must be discouraging, the Ocean Spray moment was not to be his.

Critical praise for a man with millions will suffice I would hope.

Kit2010 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

I hope so too. My "day job" is way, way different from making albums. Often, I'm the only one who knows when I've done it well. Often, that's more than enough. If someone else notices, that's even better.

This album is good no matter how many copies it sells. And I'm sure Lindsey wouldn't have put it out if he wasn't happy with it. When the money and fame don't matter, I wonder what feels better, to appeal to everyone just a little or to appeal to a few a whole lot. I would say Lindsey has a pretty good idea who his audience are, as does anyone who's been in it so long. I'm looking forward to the next one!

6. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

It’s harder for some artists to make much of an impact on the Billboard 200 now that streaming is one of its metrics. Additionally, up until December 2009, albums that were more than 18 months old that had no currently-running single or had fallen below No. 100 were no longer eligible and were relegated to the Top Catalog Albums chart. This is no longer the case, so much of the Billboard 200 is made up of classic albums like Rumours and Dark Side of the Moon, as well as younger artists who fare better on streaming platforms.

Buckingham’s audience does skew older and his fan base still buys physical product, which puts him at a disadvantage for the main chart. However, the new album is faring better on the Current Album Sales chart (where it peaked at No. 12), the Top Rock Albums chart (where it peaked at No. 37), and the Top Album Sales chart (peak of No. 13).

7. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Lindsey apparently appeared on SNL tonight with Halsey, FYI. Unfortunately I missed it, so I can’t give my thoughts on it, but the performance should be up on YouTube sometime tomorrow.

8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I saw it! The two of them performed together, by themselves, with Lindsey playing acoustic guitar and singing delicate harmonies. I thought it was really good. I don’t know much about Halsey, but the second number with LB was quite a bit different from her first number.

The guitar part didn’t seem like a real ‘showcase’ piece like one might expect of him, but it suited the song and he played it perfectly. I was surprised to see him, although I did hear on the recent Sodajerker podcast interview that he has been working with her.

Also, I thought Halsey was trying to evoke a bit of a ‘Stevie vibe’ with her outfit. Did anyone else think that?

9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Here it is

enro99, rockclassics, Kit2010 and 8 others like this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Here is the I am not a woman, I'm a god performance:

11. wilbuck

wilbuck Forum Resident

Crushed it

12. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Dang, this is really good! Thanks for posting.

13. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Just got the album and man, it does not disappoint! With his heart trouble, voice problems, and all the recent FM drama I was afraid we'd never hear from Lindsey again. Glad my pessism was unwarranted--this is a really strong entry in Lindsey's catalog with some of his best lyrics ever (admittedly not his strong suit in the past.) And how about "Dancing?" Not my favorite song on the album by any means and a real downer for a closer, but I guess he had a lot to get off his chest about Stevie, huh?

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The album was recorded prior to all those issues. He actually had asked the band to delay their then upcoming tour so he could release it and do a small tour and was rebuffed.

15. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

I feel Lindsay has been treated pretty shoddily by fleetwood mac personally, but this is a really fine solo set that is full of really good pop songs.

enro99, Lewisboogie, Kit2010 and 6 others like this.
  16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

About 5 times through now and it's definitely growing on me.

adamos, JFSebastion, wilbuck and 3 others like this.
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Funny, I feel like the album was so immediately catchy that I kind of "used it up" in just a few weeks.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I actually thought the first half was catchy while the rest needed more aural work. :uhhuh:

whisper3978 and Rockford & Roll like this.
  19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Excellent disc, short but doesn’t disappoint!

20. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

He's got a few songs left from the aborted Gift of Screams 1995 album that could have rounded it out. "Deep Dense" & " Gotta Get Away" . I especially like Deep Dense. It's a relationship gone bad song or as the lyrics say:
    " kinda like a marriage when it has broken up, deep dense, funny kind of love"

21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Pretty good song.

She is definitely looking like Stevie Nicks based on her outfit. She even sounds like a young Stevie. The song reminded me of Landslide in some parts.

I wonder if there will be a Buckingham-Halsey album. That could be interesting.

JFSebastion and Rockford & Roll like this.
  22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Haven’t heard these, where should I look?

Matthew Tate and JFSebastion like this.
  23. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Youtube has the entire unreleased album. Type Lindsey Buckingham Gift of Screws

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did 44 year old Rumours outsell LB's first album in a decade during week of release? Or just a streaming quirk.

LB did Colbert with his band and SNL(indirectly), so it's not like there was no promo. Maybe doing 5,000 autographed copies would have helped. He did signed cd copies of Screws a decade ago via Newbury, with a legible signature(some in-person autographs on old FM albums can be very sloppy)

Rockford & Roll and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Rumours" is still amazingly popular so it could be entirely possible! :uhhuh:

Matthew Tate likes this.