Line Magnetic LM-222 coaxial speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by manfredas370, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

It sounds very nice.

2. manfredas370

manfredas370 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trying to get my impressions :) Short answer: they are pretty amazing.
    Longer answer:
    I had only about 15 hours listening them and LM-126 amp. Both are new, so definetely will get better. At the moment I would call that combo a little bit "thin", but very high resolution. Comparing to my other amp / speaker combos I had (Yamaha A-S2100 + Spatial Hologram M4 Turbo S / Yamaha A-S2100 + Acuhorn 15) right now Line Magnetic combo outperforms those others in vocal clarity, air'nes, overall timbre and soundstage (really frightening wide and deep!).
    What it lacks (maybe will get better with time or after tube rolling):
    - with some music system feels "slower"
    - bass is not that great (I'm not bass-head, but right now it feels soft)
    - low level listening lacks life / dynamic

But it's just start :) This weekend I'll rearrange room with new rack, also will experiment with speakers positioning (that won't be easy job, because LM-222 are so big).
    Also my cables are quite a mess - mix of low-end AudioQuest and QED. So will think about first step to upgrade cables (Triode Wire Labs) and then try to play with tubes.

beowulf, Mad shadows and G B Kuipers like this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

I'm surprised by that. I assumed that would be a strong suit of that setup. I wonder if the surrounds need to loosen up a little?

4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

What type of speaker cable are you using? I bet some Auditorium 23 cables would be very nice with them.

beowulf likes this.
  5. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Speakers need a lot of time to break in to get good bass and articulate midrange. There's really no getting around that. The new spider is the main culprit for dull sound. New amplifiers have a ton of internal wire and capacitors that need time to break in as well. I wouldn't even begin critical listening until well after 100 hours of breakin time.
    I also agree with Erocka2000. That equipment was voiced with the A23 speaker cables. They definitely are the right speaker cable choice.

manfredas370 likes this.
  6. manfredas370

Yes, I'm aware with amps / speakers break in time and results, so I'm not worried.
    Really, even without break-in I'm confident that it's the best combo I ever had in my room :)
    Thanks for Auditorium 23 speaker cables suggestion - I'll definitely try them!

7. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

When I break in speakers, I only use music that I normally listen to. No special break in disks or anything. That being said, since it's the woofers that need to get worked, I do like playing my Victor Wooten, a show of hands, LP to really get things moving once or twice a day for the first couple of weeks. It's a really fun album to listen to and to judge bass response down to about 40htz I'd guess.

8. manfredas370

Damn, amp just started to sound way more better and it blew fuse. I took all tubes out and replaced fuse - amp starts. Tried to add all tubes in places, one by another. Looks like 12AX7 is bad and cousing amp tube blow fuse again.
    Wasn't ready to roll tubes so fast, but now it's necessary. Opinions and suggestion? Should I go for NOS or new production tubes?
    LM-126 comes with these tubes (all looks like some cheap chinesse tubes, with no branding):
    - 12AX7 (3 tubes)
    - 6SN7 (2 tubes)
    - KT66 / 6L6G (4 tubes)
    - 5U4G (1 tube)

9. Kende

Kende Well-Known Member

Hello
    I have Line Magnetic amp too 518Ia. I have used a lot of cable ,most expensive like 500 CD S.
    RCA too. If do you like Western electric style sound, i would suggest you Duelund tinned copper 16awg,or 12awg cable. Duelund cable much much better. For speaker cable do not use termination ,just bare wire. I made interconnect from 20awg Duelund. interconnect you should twisted before you soldering. For the speaker wire i used wood coins. I drilled two hole trough them and passed the wires
    to separate from each other. Check out jeffplace.me blog lot of info. Duelund is not expensive and beats more expensive cables. Duelund is a danish company. The sound is amazing.
    Regards.

beowulf likes this.
  10. manfredas370

#bump to top :)

11. manfredas370

Last month was dedicated for some upgrades in system

Newest purchases:
    - 2x NOS Ken Rad 6SN7 (VT231) "Black Glass"
    - 1x NOS RCA 5U4G "Black Plate"
    - Dynavox Dynastation mk3 CD player.

These NOS tubes just plain better in every single category than stock tubes in LM-126, and amplifier sounds so more "posh" (in good way). Best thing is that now, even in very low volume, music still has tone & dynamics (these aspects were really lacking with stock tubes).

Now Dynavox Dynastation player is another part, which gave me giant step in overall listening pleasure. I knew that it's interesting and well appreciated player, but until now I hadn't chance to listen it live. All I can say - comparing with my previous CD player (Yamaha CD-S2100) Dynavox is much more relaxed, analog-like, also just more organic and doesn't try to impress by throwing large ammount of "details". Also, I like to test my equipment with Tina Turner "Steel Claw" track from "Private Dancer" Japan edition CD. Not that I love that song, but because it's very shouty; "bright" and fast pace. On Yamaha this track was completely unlistenable for my. Now, with NOS tubes and Dynastation - way much better, and even a little bit likeable :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MadsBje, beowulf, Ilovefooty and 5 others like this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

That's the coolest looking CD player I've ever seen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.