Line of Duty; fantastic BBC drama-series!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yovra, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Certainly weaker than the previous series, with relatively little tension. Recently watched Bodies, by the same writer, and it was striking how two-dimensional the main characters in Line Of Duty are in comparison. Granted, LOD is more about the suspense, but when there isn’t much of that, as In Season 5, it falls flat.

Series in order of preference

Dignan2000 and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yet to see 5 ( maybe give it a miss now, see above ).

So pecking order

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone know how to watch this in Canada?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Line Of Duty season 5 finally debuted in Canada last night.

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The season finale just aired in Canada. I thought it was another great season although the interview scenes especially in episode 6 weren’t up to par as all those great interviews from the Lindsay Denton era.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've just finished all 5 seasons here in Canada on Netflix and I absolutely
    loved the series. Keeley Hawes, in particular, was stunning. Apples and
    oranges, of course, but I enjoyed this show a lot more than `The Wire'.

gkella likes this.
  7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Great series - I've thoroughly enjoyed it all, especially the interview scenes. Highly recommended.

Yovra likes this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I really enjoy this series. I don't think it's the be-all and end-all. I like the labyrinthine plots, the interviews (almost up there with Pembleton in the Box in Homicide), but there have been some bizarre scenes that have come close to spoiling it: Vicky running around with a gun like Sly Stallone in an action movie; the terrible signaling that TED IS A SUSPECT; Roz Huntley's injury and the way she got the better of the team in the interviews.... To be honest, I thought series 4 was the poorest. Still, looking forward to series six.

9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Season 6 started in the UK yesterday, seems a lot more interesting than season 4 and a marked improvement on the slightly comedic ending to season 5 so far. Intrigued to see where this one goes.

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Brilliant series but far too intricate for me to follow from one week to the next despite the 'previously' catch-up intros. So I'm waiting for the dvd release and then I can binge watch the entire series 6 in one day, which is what I've been doing with series 1 to 5 this last week.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Episode one was Line Of Duty calming down but it seems so many watching it last night it wasn't available on iPlayer later on.

The end of series 4 and 5 were ludicrous and make it very easy to make fun of the show, which isn't a good sign.

Watching episode one and it annoyed me especially Kate, who'd be a nightmare to work with, as she's always stating the bleeding obvious to her new boss.

Then we have a interview with a appropriate adult who's apparently fallen asleep, a solicitor who's not done a law degree and Police officers who've never been trained in their 'advanced interview techniques'.

Hopefully ep. 2 will get us back on track, although calming down is sensible.

12. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

I really liked LOD (except for the utterly ridiculous last 10 mins of series 3).
    So far series 6 has disappointed me. I don't like the acting choices Kelly McDonald has made... the whole thing just feels flat to me, and the crime also holds no interest/suspense for me. Was a bitof a yawn fest last night. Would have preferred Ryan Pilkington to be the main/sole protagonist.

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Wife and I here in the states enjoy the show. Season 1 was the best, but we liked all 5 we saw thus far.

But we call it "The Bent Coppers Show".

There's nothing worse than a bent copper! Dear Mary Mother of all things Holy save us from these bent coppers!! It's fun to say, let's out tension. Scream it to the heavens whenever you get frustrated with something trivial.

sharedon likes this.
  14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It’s a victim of its own success, I can’t see how they will top the best of the previous series. The Kate character is extremely annoying.

The BBC is currently upping to iPlayer what was the 90s version of this sort of show Between The Lines. Now looks dated of course but is still great and I never tire of seeing London pre millennium, When It All Went Bad.

15. Pastafarian

Episode 2 was a hoot and a LOD exam.

We start, previously..... and then references back to 1-5, familiar tropes and scenes, which due to it's success have become cliches.

At least Kate admitted she's annoying but Ted seem to be unraveling and his eyebrow has taken over control.

Plot spoiler, Kate's going to realise her sexual preference has been confused and Ted's got the hots for Steve, although even Mercuio wouldn't, would he:confused:

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Was looking for a replacement for the excellent Suspects, so just started this one.

17. Pastafarian

Good luck with that one if you don't watch 1-5, even those who have are saying :shrug:.

Plus the first series 1-3 are fantastic.

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

No sign of the new season in the US, unless I'm wrong...

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

While searching for a way to watch the new Line Of Duty season I discovered Badlands, a n excellent new 2021 series from Line Of Duty creator Jed Mercurio. It’s on the Acorn TV channel in Canada.

20. Pastafarian

I'd missed this one but had some difficulty finding it, as it's called Bloodlands:laugh:, thanks anyway, it looks very interesting.

21. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

It will probably show up on Hulu at some point but there are other ways to watch it now in the US. ;)

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am in season three and absolutely love it..
    The interview room scenes are the best for sure..
    No one does tv better than The Brits..

Solaris Morse likes this.
  23. Pastafarian

I watched Bloodland's 4 episodes in one binge, which makes it a rapid rush through recognizsable Mercurio writing, everything turned upside down, who can you trust and whilst we don't have H we have a G.

It was refreshing to have new characters and story, so it definitely worth watching, for me LOD needs to catch H, then Mercurio isn't trapped in a series which should have stopped before series 4.

The other return has been Unforgotten series 4 and I'm still trying to recover from the end, which again was a very strong series.

ds58 and Beatlened like this.
  24. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Loved the first 3 or 4 series of LOD but got a little frustrated by the later ones. I stopped caring who Haitch was.

25. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Brenald79 and sharedon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.