Linear Power Supply for Clearaudio Performance DC Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by normychas, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It depends on how much you are happy to spend, if you would have been talking about a unit to feed electronics that handle the sound signal directly, like a phono stage going for the best might make more of a difference.

Just for the motor I think the Sbooster would be plenty. On ebay you can buy linear power supplies that appear to be of reasonably good quality for just under 200. For your particular usage I would personally go for those or the Sbooster.

2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

How would they adjust voltage?
    A DC-DC buck/boost converter is a switcher?

[​IMG]

3. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

You just vary the feedback resistor. They are generally just controlling a series pass transistor. Look up the datasheet for an old LM317 regulator IC.

Ingenieur likes this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Thanks

[​IMG]

Davey likes this.
  5. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

6. normychas

normychas Active Member Thread Starter

I have a ps audio stellar phono. Would my money be better spent on a power supply upgrade there?

7. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Not sure what you mean, the Stellar Phono has a built in power supply.

8. normychas

Doh

9. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

I have the same TT, and I’m pretty sure it’s a 24v unit.

10. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

If you do not have it, yes. Your phono is good. Which TT do you have?

11. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

No, it is 12v.

12. normychas

I have a Clear Audio Performance DC. And yes it is a 12v. I am confused as to whether my phono would benefit from a linear power supply.

13. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

The Stellar has a built-in power supply, an IEC socket for 120v on the rear (if in the U.S.).

14. normychas

Than you for the explanation. I am definitely not very smart on power supply stuff. My hi-fi dealer had just mentioned i would see a nice upgrade if i upgraded the CA PDC 12v using the CA power supply in place of the cheap walwart the CA PDC comes from. I don't feel like spending 1200 on a power supply upgrade but if there is a noise floor improvement an Sbooster makes sense. I just dont wish to spend the cash if its not likely to help.

15. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

There are much better investments for your audiophile dollars, than a power supply upgrade for your turntable.

IMHO, of course.

16. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

So I messed up, I have an Ovation, and that does have a 24V supply.

17. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

I think like in life also in HiFi decision we should rational. Your Performance costs from 4000 to 8000. It depends on the tonearm and cartridge. Probably the average of sale is around 5000 bucks.
    Well, my opinion is that you improve your experience if you were to buy a better PSU. As i started my personal rule, is the 10%. I would not spend more that 500 bucks for a PSU.
    You can buy from ebay PSU made in China, mine is one with the display of voltage, called zerozone. I spent around 150 bucks. The difference is like night and day.
    i will buy soon one more reliable because the display shows quite often 12.3v. The performance should be 12v. I do not want to take any risk about it so i decided to buy a new more reliable. Thus i am going to get o Teddy Pardo o one from MCRU. I have not placed an order yet but i am more on the second one because i am interested in the idea how the psu is made.i am pretty sure boh of them will be great.

also the Sbooster is a good PSU and it is less than 10% of the value of the TT . Personally i do not like how it looks.

18. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

Yes it has 24v.

19. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

It depends on how much you are happy to spend. A PSU, a good one, you can spend 400 bucks. 5his is a right, rational amount and you improve your TT. If you spent 1200 for a PSU or even 3000 for one at 24v, well with that money you could buy a better cartridge, i guess.

20. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

Yes, the power supply is for the TT, no for the phono….

21. Donaknight

Donaknight Active Member

22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just received and installed Teddy Pardo power supply for my Acoustic Solid Solid Machine. They just started building those (32v), I am the first owner (or one of the first owners). The thing looks great and dead quiet.
    My W/F measured with phone did not change when I switched supplies (both running from PS Audio Stellar Power Plant), but because they are so low anyway (0.03% or less) my phone is not capable to discern the difference (if there is one).
    Will try to listen later on and see if there are audible difference, or it is just an offering to audiophile gods. ))

23. Old Zorki II

Well, I was a little sceptical that power supply quality can change anything in DC (controller - motor) combo. I spent a lot of money on various improvements in my system over the years, and some (cables, etc) provide very little of a difference to my ears.
    But this Teddy Pardo works, why I have no idea. First was very apparent and easy to spot was noise - well, my TT is very quiet even with original power supply, but now it is even better. On a well pressed records when I place needle into the groove I hear.. nothing, unlike a very slight noise I heard before.
    I do not know how many of you have a pool, but like many floridians I do. I taking good care of it, water a filtered, all proper chemicals are in, etc. Water looks very clear.
    But sometimes I add special "blue water polisher", really like an ounce of it for 10,000 gallon pool. And next day water not just clear, but sparkling-amazing clear. Hard to explain, you have to see it.
    Same here. It was quiet before, but now it is "wow, did I press proper input on my pre" quiet.
    And way more important - I hear better microdynamics, better detail on certain records, punchier bass.. And even more pinpoint image.
    I know how water polisher works and chemistry behind it, I have no idea why this power supply makes the difference. Both original and Teddy Pardo BTW were plugged into PS Audio Stellar Power Plant, so they are fed nice, stable AC to begin with...
    Now, is it "money well spend"? After all spending almost $500 (including shipping) on a power supply for TT is borderline insane. But my TT cost with all arms, cartridges and other pieces crossed 5 digit mark. So this PS is less than 5% of my TT cost -and well worth it for me.
    YMMV.

J.D.80 likes this.
  24. Old Zorki II

There are no posters on this board who I respect more than you, and yet unfortunately I have to disagree.
    I do not think speed stability changed with Teddy Pardo, I suspect after using PS Audio Power Plant speed became pretty solid even with old small power supply. I am using KAB strobe.
    And I do not have any device to measure W/F accurately, phone shows 0.03% and I think it cannot measure any better. Now if I move my motor 1-2 inches father, stretching "strings" between motor and plate - then I can see W/F raising, so to an extent phone works, just not too precise.
    And yet I have to agree with Donaknight explanation of sound improvements with new PS.

MGW likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A man who thinks as I do. Agree very highly. Beats those audiophile tweako power supplies. Much better regulated than they will be. Designed and engineered more carefully than they will be. And common sense where power must be accurately supplied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.