Linear Power Supply for Clearaudio Performance DC Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by normychas, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think we not disagreeing. In my post, I noted that speed stability could be improved when an average or poor quality OEM power supply was replaced with a more stable and more accurate aftermarket PS. That's what you did and that's why speed stability and accuracy improved.

Stable, accurate turntable speed produces more accurate frequencies and more accurate acoustic instrument timbres, and with cartridges sensitive to such things allow the cantilever suspension to react closer to the way it was designed. All of those things result in audible improvements.

What I've criticized in the past are reviewers and audiophiles alike who shout about darker backgrounds and airier airiness and all sorts of other breathlessly emotional expostulations that don't help at all to understand the nature of any beneficial change.

JPH2000 likes this.
  2. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

I can see an upgraded power supply affecting the sound of a phono stage but not a properly operating motor that is not cogging or varying speed. So pitch would be an issue but the other attributes such as "darkness, soundstage, separation etc." I just don't see. When I added a Heed quartz-locked PS to my old P25 all it did was even out the pitch and stabilize piano and instrumental decay

Agitater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.