Linn Axis mk2 tonearm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ilija Gospodinov, Aug 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilija Gospodinov

Ilija Gospodinov Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm looking into servicing or potentially replacing the original Akito Mk1 on my Axis. New Akito doesn't work because of the price.

What are my options?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Randoms likes this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Probably the easiest would be a gently used Ittok. Just make sure the bearings are ok. Should be a lot cheaper than an Akito mkII, and probably better sounding too.

jeff

Ilija Gospodinov likes this.
  3. Ilija Gospodinov

Thank you! I thought this would be a more expensive option. Would you recommend a good resource?

4. Ilija Gospodinov

Btw, I just saw videos on YouTube using a Jelco 750d tonearm. Is this a straight option, if I can find one?

5. vinylkid58

Not sure. Good arm, IF you can find one.

I'll come back to this a bit later when I have some time.

jeff

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  6. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Get rid of that deck before it self destruct.
    Poor electronics inside.
    I'd buy a SL1200 mk7 if budget allow.
    If not, then a Planar 1 or 2.

7. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

The alignment each chose is a little different, so not a direct replacement, but you could make it work. The Linn pivot to spindle distance is 211mm, and they chose to use the Baerwald/IEC alignment, so 24 deg offset and 18mm overhang. The Jelco is designed for a 214mm pivot to spindle distance, and they chose to use the Stevensen/DIN alignment, with 22 deg offset and 15mm overhang. So it's a little bit of a compromise to mount the Jelco with 211mm pivot to spindle, but it would work OK, the cartridge would be cocked a couple degrees in the headshell to match the Linn alignment, or would be probably all the way back in the headshell for the Jelco alignment, slots may not be long enough, but you could figure all that out pretty easily before hand.

8. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I would have the linn over those know question

9. Ilija Gospodinov

Thanks! If it's not a direct replacement I don't think I could hande it myself. But could be an option with an experienced professional, if I find a good tonearm.

10. Ilija Gospodinov

Oh comeon. All these three turntables are far inferior to the Axis. Rega P3 might be a better comparison. If compared to Technics, I think the comparison should start with the GR.

It's not a question of budget yet, as the Axis plays and sounds phenomenal at the moment, with the original K9 and an AT-VMN95EN. I'm just thinking of potentially upgrading the tonearm. If it comes to that moment and the replacement means 1000+ EUR/USD, at that point I'd consider a new deck.

11. vinylkid58

Many years ago, I went over to visit a friend that worked at a bike shop. The owners friend had a couple of SL-1200's set up with a mixer DJ style. I was listening to some stuff that was playing, and all the time thinking that those decks sounded way better than my Axis. I was pissed! My Axis had a Basic Plus arm with a K9 cartridge, so not super special, but decent. That was the day I decided it was time to sell it.

jeff

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Actually I'm pretty sure the current P3 with NEO PS will handily outperform an Axis. Certainly a P6 or Technics GR. Also the board fails eventually. I really don't think it's an economic proposition to work on it considering it's original price. Is there anything wrong with the arm? If not keep as is and maybe sell the deck to fund something that is actually better. I would suggest if kept as is, try a Goldring 1042 on the deck. Way better than the old AT95 and even a budget AT MC on the Axis I had with Basic Plus arm.

13. Ilija Gospodinov

Thank you all for the insightful comments. I'll stick with the deck as-is, most probably. There's no problem to resolve this moment, only thoughts about an upgrade. When the time comes, maybe a new 1210 GR.

Randoms likes this.
  14. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

It will for sure
    The "Linn" brand doesn't make it any better IMO - its a mediocre deck, problem is someone expect too much or haven't heard better.
    Each to their own.

15. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Depending on the condition of your Akito (there were a number of original, smooth finish, Japan built Akitos that were damaged by "Linn tight" cartridge and arm installation), though the Axis and Akito on the one I originally sold and set up for my brother, is still performing as it should.

His motor board did pack up around 15 years ago. At the time I managed to get hold of a circuit diagram and it was only 3 or 4 cheap components that needed replacing. To this day it still performs very well, though the warnings about problems with the PCB are very valid.

I wish I could find that Linn Axis PCB circuit diagram!!

Originally I fitted a Linn K9 (grey not yellow), Linn K18 II (red, not grey. Somehow Linn / Audio Technics got the compliance of the original K18 wrong for a Linn arm! ) and I fitted the excellent Audio Technica VM95ML a couple of years ago.

It is still a very good turntable and agree with @Classicrock (twice in a week!!) that you probably need to go to a Technics SL1200 GR, Rega Planar 6 level for a significant improvement. Taking your turntable to dealer will soon show how far you need to go.

If you have a Linn dealer near you, I would ask if they can check the arm collar position with a Linn Kinky. It literally takes a minute and setting the arm parallel again, will take slightly longer. You could get them to check the arm bearings, which again is a very quick job and if you want an instant, cheap upgrade, then buy either a ML, or Shibata stylus for your VM95 body.

My brother's Axis, Akito (Mk 1) with VM95ML sounds very good indeed.

Yes, you can easily get a better sound, but you can easily spend far more money to do this.
    I reckon I carried out over 20 comparisons for customers of the Axis in comparison to the Technics SL1200 Mk* from the eighties and early nineties and whilst a couple preferred the Technics, the very vast majority the Axis. Are you saying the Technics is a mediocre turntable? It certainly isn't a SL1200GR.

The motor board was very clever, there was also independent adjustments for both 33 and 45 and the deceptively simple sorbothane suspension worked very well with the clever Martin Dalgleish implementation. Both with the original Basik Plus and original fitted Akito (not user, or dealer mangled!), the Linn Axis performed extremely well.

Having had 7-8 Technics SL1200 from the same era, from my experience you should approach with caution, as there was significant performance variation, probably due to DJ use and abuse. This included thrust pad damage and notchy arm bearings.

I kept the best performing example back in the shop, so people could do a fair comparison with a few different cartridges. My brother could have bought this good example far cheaper than the Linn Axis, which to quote Linn, was simply better.

Yes, each to their own, but far better to buy from audition, rather than recommendation.

GyroSE likes this.
  16. Randoms

Linn did have some Jelco arms built to their tighter specifications, fixed headshell, etc, which were very briefly available to buy as the Linn Majik, but unfortunately went when Jelco ceased trading.

This replaced (and bettered) the ProJect 9cc which Linn used as a starter arm on the Majik spec LP12. The Jelco was replaced by necessity, by the slightly more expensive Linn Krane, which is again built to Linn specification, this time by Clear Audio.

The final version of the Akito, the 3B is a significantly better arm than all of the above, betters Ittoks and early Ekos. Some say and this I have no personal experience, it is close to the performance of a Linn Ekos 2 (not Ekos SE).

The last Akito is a very good arm and many wish it had been rebranded as it is so far removed from the £115 Japanese Akito fitted to the Linn Basik and Axis.

People are buying these turntables for inflated prices thinking they are getting a bargain, but sadly they are probably overpaying for possibly (probably?) an arm not performing to specification.

With the increased interest in vinyl, a number of value for money products of the day, are selling for very inflated prices.....

The steps from original, smooth finish, to crinkle, Scottish built 2B arms to the final 3B specification (as was the price increases!), significant.

The Akito has recently after 30+ years been discontinued, to be replaced by the Linn Arko, because of this, I have seen Linn dealer demonstration Akito 3B available well under a £1,000 and they should have a 2B, significantly cheaper.

Hope this helps, happy listening!

BTW, here are the original Linn Akito specs - Linn Docs are an invaluable resource.

THE LINN AKITO TONEARM SPECIFICATIONS

Lateral bearing friction < 50mg
    Horizontal bearing friction < 50mg
    Effectiveness mass 10g
    Tracking weight adjustment 0 - 3g
    Cartridge range 2 - 10g
    Pivot to stylus 229mm
    Stylus overhang 18mm
    Effective length 211mm

17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

£200/300 for a used one same price as one new
    they stopped making them as they did not sell well

18. Randoms

With the prices some people are charging for Ittoks, the fact that they discontinued nearly 30 years ago and your sage advice about checking arm bearings are OK (really we need to check every arm, regardless of make), with the Akito being recently discontinued, you may be able to pick up an Akito 2B cheaper. These certainly outperform the early, thin pillar Ittoks.

For various reasons, I think you can probably get a far better deal on an exchange arm, where a customer has upgraded from a good Linn dealer.

19. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I'm the original owner of an Axis purchased in 1988. Not long ago, I auditioned tables in the $1500 to $2000 range (various Rega's, Music Hall). My Axis provides a more musical experience. What does that mean? Hard to explain, maybe nostalgia, what records are supposed to sound like. There's no issue playing vinyl mastered from digital, did not like Rega.
    So, I had the table serviced and asked about upgrading the arm from Basik Plus. The Linn maestro said it's not worth the money to replace the arm on this deck. He said the upgrade should be the cartridge.

Ilija Gospodinov and Randoms like this.
  20. cre009

cre009 Well-Known Member

There are schematics for the Axis here

Linn Axis Schematic

The issue with using an Ittok on the Axis is the need to drill a hole to accommodate the arm rest. In general people who put up an Ittok for sale will say how it performs in a swing test. The Ittok was a popular arm and while one or two people have a belief that there were bearing issues I dont believe this has much foundation.

Other arms with Linn geometry include those manufactured by Logic, Manticore, Alphason and the Zeta. Some of these would be an upgrade. However these are relatively uncommon relative to second hand Akito's. There are Jelco's as well but the cheap ones will not be an upgrade.

Early Akito,s were known to suffer from sticky bearings as well as Linn Tight issues that could crack the arm and base.. If the one owned by the OP is ok then it would require spending a bit to significantly upgrade. Check the arm swings easily by setting tracking weight to zero and float the arm. It should swing out and in with a gentle nudge.

Ilija Gospodinov and Randoms like this.
  21. Randoms

I've seen them sell at that price without arm.

They sold better than many similar priced turntables, Manticore, Michell etc. at the dealers I worked at and other dealers we spoke to back then.

Obviously the UK was in a recession, CD was being pushed very hard, and vinyl quality wasn't at its best, so all turntable sales were down.

Due to a change in safety regulations, Linn would have to redesign the PCB (same reason the Valhalla was discontinued) as lethal voltages are present on the board, possibly part down to reduced interest in vinyl, the Axis was discontinued.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  22. Randoms

Great find for the Axis schematic - that can save owners a fortune. Sadly I can't find the hard copy I managed to obtain.

Excellent advice about the arm test, you could also balance the arm and drop a small piece of paper on the headshell, to check the vertical bearings too. Linn supplied dealers wih a range, to help evaluate the arm. Don't know how many are still out in the field!

My brother's original Akito still performs correctly, but as you probably know, (originally), Linn replaced many Akitos foc and Linn sent correspondence not to use Linn tight on them.

Some owners damaged the bearings themselves, by not removing (one bolt!) the arm and fitting a cartridge with the arm mounted.

How big an upgrade on an Axis an Akito 2, or even 3B would be is an interesting dem, certainly the change from Basik Plus to Akito wasn't large and with a damaged Akito, often a downgrade!

23. Ilija Gospodinov

Phenomenal, I was just planning to upgrade to AT-VMN95ML. Thank you!

Lowrider75 and Randoms like this.
  24. Randoms

My brother is absolutely blown away with the AT -VM95ML on his Axis.

A non-butchered original Akito matches very effectively with it. Any upgrade after that will cost multiple of what the stylus does.

Happy listening!

Ilija Gospodinov and Lowrider75 like this.
  25. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

FYI the tnt-audio reviewer who is in the process of reviewing my tonearm is doing so on an Axis. I expect the review fairly soon.

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.