Linn LP12 power supply upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Stoffels, Oct 11, 2021.

1. William Stoffels

William Stoffels Member Thread Starter

I just got a LP12 and it has the original Valhalla power supply, I would like to upgrade it and would like some feedback on Lingo 1 to Lingo 4 and their advantages ,

Also any other upgrades as I have fully committed to this turntable

Thanks Bill

2. Millimeters

Millimeters Forum Resident

Hi,
    Depends on budget, they get better with each generation. Any of them will be much better than the Valhalla. I would really recommend the Karousel bearing upgrade, and rather save on a cheaper Lingo. There are a number of forums discussing the LP12, maybe check the Linn and Naim forums if you want more opinions.
    Rgds,
    Svein

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you are on Facebook there's a really good, and active, Linn LP12 owners group.

4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Hi Bill. My first experience of the Linn Lingo was probably the most unexpected and biggest improvement I had heard to that point.

The Linn rep asked if he could set up a turntable in our dem room and asked me to have a listen. From my sitter position, all I could see was a LP12 fitted with an Ittok and a K9, but it sounded amazing, probably better than any turntable combination I'd heard at that point.

When I asked what have they improved on the Sondek, he just smiled and plugged in the LP12 / Valhalla / Ekos / Troika, then Linn's top turntable combination. His Ittok / K9 did what I had expected from what I first heard and fundamentally outperformed the Ekos / Troika. He then showed me the prototype hand soldered "Lingo". As a LP12 owner I pleaded with him to sell me it...

After he had demoed that very early Lingo to all his dealers, I finally got to take it home, remove my Valhalla and hear more music from every record I played. For many years the original shoebox Lingo was my favourite ever Hi-Fi upgrade. People have spent £10,000 elsewhere on a system and not had such obvious (musical) improvements.

The original Lingo which was officially launched in 1990 was replaced by the "Lingo 2" in 2001. Originally the same board in a full size LK box, this was quickly upgraded to a new surface mount board. As I had gone silver and also added a Linn Linto, as much for the looks, I replaced my prototype Lingo with a surface mounted Lingo 2. In my system with a LP12 / Cirkus / Ekos 2 and Arkiv B, through active 242s, there was a small, but noticeable improvement. It was to my ears, not a big deal.

The Linn Lingo 2 was discontinued in 2010 and the "Lingo 3" held the same surface mounted boards in the bigger Akurate casing. Any sonic improvements are down to the mounting and better case.

The Lingo 3 was discontinued in 2018 when it was replaced by a completely new, superior and far more complex design, the Lingo 4, which also comes with a new designed motor.

I heard the Lingo 4, but sadly had to sell my LP12 before the temptation of buying it occurred!

Is a Lingo 3 significantly better than an original Lingo? I would say no, BUT, the original Lingo was around from 1990-2001 and so really needs recapping to perform as designed.

Is the Lingo 4 better than a Lingo 3? Yes.....

I don't know the specification of your LP and if it has the Cirkus bearing housing / inner platter and sub-chassis, but with the Valhalla removed from the LP12, the Linn Karousel bearing kit (bearing housing and inner platter) can be fitted. I have (deliberately!) avoided listening to an LP12 with Karousel, but an ex-colleague who I have known for over 30 years and whose opinion is one of the few I absolutely trust, enthusiastically informs me that the Karousel upgrade is the most significant LP12 upgrade ever.

I suggest you find a good Linn dealer and have a listen for yourself.

Happy listening!

John76 likes this.
  5. William Stoffels

William Stoffels Member Thread Starter

Thank you all for the. Posts
    I found Pro Musica here in Chicago
    When I went there it was like the old days when there were stored for everything
    Very knowledgeable and has had Linn’s for almost 40 years
    They were amazing to talk to and discuss options as well as hear different Linn’s play

I decided for the first set of upgrades
    Linn Lingo 4
    Core frame
    Karousel bearing and platter
    Upgraded the arm
    New cartridge

it was costly but so glad to find a highly experienced team to go to , they had all the information and vast experience as well
    They are installing all the mods and do complete set up for NO COST

highly recommend Pro Musica

looking forward to getting it back in a few weeks

Randoms likes this.
  6. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

When upgrading to a Lingo, you should get a new motor as well. I‘d even say it‘s a must - it will run a lot smoother. The old motor doesn‘t mate too well with the Lingo.

7. Randoms

Wow! Very nice, that is a substantial upgrade!!

Hope your LP12 gives you many years of listening pleasure.

8. Randoms

The Lingo 4 comes with a brand new low voltage motor: Lingo 4

For the 110v motor for Lingo 1, 2 and 3 prior to the glued on cap, you would remove the cap, spring and ball bearing, or plastic parts as per the Linn communication. The motor on the lower bearing would run perfectly smoothly after running in - a new motor was desirable, rather than absolutely essential.

See picture in link: LP12 motors

9. Valhalla squad. Where are you at.

10. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

I'm happy to report that my Valhalla LP12 (mostly original I think, examined and maybe "adjusted" by my near dealer before selling to me)
    is as good (musically) as I hoped.
    Much better musically than my Transrotor Max which is "too transparent" with same phono stage, MM/MC cartridge, and I think this LP 12 needs no upgrade to give emotions.

nutsfortubes and Randoms like this.