Lionel Richie remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anybody picked up the Lionel Richie remasters yet? If so, any reviews of the sound quality and bonus material would be appreciated. I was never a huge fan of his work back in the '80s, but with the dominance of rap and hip-hop in recent years I've developed a much greater appreciation for his exceptionally well-structured songs.

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I have the Lionel Richie Definitive Collection and like the sound, but do not have other sources to A/B to. I bought the Can't Slow Down Deluxe Edition, but due to manufacturing snafu, received two of the second discs and no Can't Slow Down. Waiting for another copy at my local store. I am hoping someone else will chime in before I pick up any of the other Lionels....

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm sticking with the LPs of the titles I have (self-titled and Can't Slow Down) and the Back To Front and the original Dancing on The Ceiling CD.

4. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Any particular reason, Bradley? Don't feel the need to upgrade, or something you heard about the sound quality? Again, the new Definitive Collection sounds great to these ears, but there hasn't really been any discussion of the remasters. At midline prices and with Dancing on the Ceiling clocking in at almost 80 minutes, there is not too much risk in purchasing as far as value, but am always interested in peoples' comments; I want to make sure I understand where you are coming from - thanks in advance.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's the same remastering as the Defintive Collection so if you are happy w/ that you will be happy woth the new remasters. I like the sound of the Collection myself. I just don't need anymore Lionel than that.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have all of the new L.R. remasters and while I too am NOT a huge fanatic of Lionel's I will say that the bonus stuff (especially on self-titled and Can't Slow Down) are pretty worthwhile. Even the CD producer's gave a tip of the hat to Lionel for being brave enough to let us all hear what are known as the "mumbles" sessions! Those are what would be demos to MOST artists, but in Lionels case, he calls them works in progress. These "mumbles" sessions are usually the full band with him mumbling where he hasn't written the lyrics yet...pretty cool stuff!

I found the sound quality of all 3 to be much better than the original CD pressings and when I threw on "Dancing on The Ceiling", it almost scared me because I was wearing headphones and on the song it starts with someone walking in the room and if it doesn't sound (on headphones) as if someone is really walking in the room, I'm crazy! In fact, it was SO real sounding that I actually stopped and looked up (Note:It sounds like a wood floor in the recording and I have carpeting, so if THAT tells you how real it was recorded!) The effect wasn't as REAL on my loudspeakers!

If you're even remotely interested in Lionel's workmanship, get these, otherwise get the new best of CD!
    Chris C

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was never a big fan of Ritche's solo stuff beyond a song here and there, so I can't find the $30 for this Deluxe Edition of "Can't Slow Down".

I'll Stick with his self-titled debut CD and the "Back-To-Front" hits collection. And, of course, I have all of the Commodores stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.