List of CD players that can decode pre-emphasis

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member Thread Starter

I have. Thanks :)

Here's a copy of my query to Cambridge sent on 27/04/2008

And here's the answer sent on 28/04/2008:

Son of a Zombie likes this.
  2. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

^ Interesting. I would forward this to Philips and see whether they agree.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why aren't you able to burn CDs?

If you rip a disc with PE and play the resulting files back, they will be noticeably brighter.

4. 926am

926am Senior Member

I rip cds using itunes, won't it just burn the cd ''properly'' since there is no way to remove the PE flag while burning??

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd suggest getting some software that lets you rip to audio/CUE and subsequently burn. If you are running Windows EAC is a good choice.

As far as iTunes goes, some people have claimed that it actually applies de-emphasis while ripping (changing the actual audio), but I've never encountered that, and I don't believe flags would be stored anywhere. While I'm not 100% certain, chances are if you ripped and burned via iTunes you'd end up with a copy stripped of the PE flag.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As others have suggested, the list of the players that don't decode pre-emphasis should be a lot shorter than the list of those that do.

7. KeithH

Years ago when I was making a lot of CD-Rs, I found that the standard burner that came with my Dell computer coupled with Roxio Easy CD Creator did not capture pre-emphasis flags. As a result, CD-Rs made from "pre-emphasized" CDs were terribly bright. I started using a Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray component burner at that point. Problem solved.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many component burners being made these days and audio CD-Rs probably aren't as prevalent today as they once were, but that's a sure way to make a proper CD-R. Professional component burners are still made, and as far as I know, they all work with data CD-Rs.

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Pre-emphasis detection should be a software issue, not a hardware issue, and even if it does not detect the flags (or do anything useful with them), it should still be possible to set them manually when burning. Jam (on the Mac) always had an option for setting PE flags, and when burning from a CUE sheet, FLAGS PRE just needs to be set for each track.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great info in this thread.

11. Starwanderer

12. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I would be inclined to send their response to Philips. They take a dim view of people issuing discs that don't conform to the Redbook standard (eg Copy-Control and Dualdiscs). I'm fairly sure they'd take an interest in a major manufacturer putting out players that don't conform.

13. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Ok, here's a stupid question that is probably answered elsewhere, but what was/is the purpose of pre-empasis on CD's? Typically analog recording and FM broadcasts use pre-emphasis to help counteract the hiss inherent in those formats, but I thought that the extremely low noise floor of digital recording made signal-fiddling such as pre-emphasis unnecessary.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This explains it fairly well: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Pre-emphasis

15. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Sid got in while I was typing, but here is my version...

In the early days of CD manufacture, the majority of the master tapes used were analog, such as those used for LP cutting.

Keep in mind that many of these early projects were classical recordings, with very wide dynamics. Quiet sections with very low signal levels might contain significant tape hiss on some analog masters.

CD pre-emphasis in mastering, and de-emphasis upon playback of the finished CD, were used as a method of reducing tape hiss from the analog master.

Using an encode/decode method (somewhat similar to Dolby noise reduction) the high frequencies were boosted (emphasized) during the recording of the CD master, and then cut (de-emphasized) by the CD player.

The goal was to get a neutral playback, with less tape hiss than a straight copy of the analog master.

By the early 1990s, when digital mastering decks were much more common, tape hiss had become much less of an issue in mastering, and the use of pre-emphasis began to fall out of favor.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It didn't have anything to do with reducing tape hiss. It was rather an attempt to deal with noisy converters.

17. Starwanderer

Thanks for your replies :)

Adding Arcam Alpha 5

CD/Universal players

Mitsubishi DP-101
    JVC XL-V550
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Harman Kardon HD7300

Denon DCD-695
    Onkyo C7030
    Arcam Alpha 5
    Naim CD-5i
    Naim CD555
    Onkyo C-S5VL (SACD/CD)
    Sony SCD-X501 (SACD/CD)

Cambridge DVD99 Universal Player
    Pioneer DV-656A Universal player

Cambridge Azur 840C CD

DACs

Benchmark DAC 1 Pre
    Cambridge Dacmagic 2 Mk.II

Feel free to bump the thread adding your own findings, please :)

There must be more players that can't decode pre-emphasis. Anyone? :wave:

18. 926am

926am Senior Member

yes for Marantz cd5001, I emailed Marantz to ask.

Do Marantz players (the cd5001 in particular) decode pe-emphasis?

Response from Tech support: Yes, since sub code channel decoding is part of the Red Book (CD)
    specification.

19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I have a retired engineer friend who did some work on the original CD development for a large manufacturer. He would likely agree with both of you. He told me there were concerns about any forms of hiss that might be discernible since CD was being promoted as hiss-less. He said pre-emphasis was designed to ensure that no hiss was added. I don't know that he'd go as far as to suggest it would reduce analogue master tape hiss, but there definitely was an obsession with not adding to it.

Funny, but a little hiss has sort of become a badge of honor as it usually means the absence of noise reduction methods.

Cuyler likes this.
  20. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

:righton: Great post

kevinsinnott likes this.
  21. Starwanderer

Thanks for your replies :)

CD/Universal players

Arcam

Arcam Alpha 5

Cambridge Audio

Cambridge DVD99
    Cambridge Azur 840C

Denon

Denon DCD-695

Harman Kardon

Harman Kardon HD7300

JVC

JVC XL-V550

Marantz

Marantz CD5001

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi DP-101

Naim

Naim CD-5i
    Naim CD555

Onkyo

Onkyo C7030
    Onkyo C-S5VL (SACD/CD)

Pioneer

Pioneer DV-656A

Rotel

Rotel RCD-1072

Sony

Sony SCD-X501 (SACD/CD)

DACs

Benchmark DAC 1 Pre
    Cambridge Dacmagic 2 Mk.II

Feel free to bump the thread adding your own findings, please :)

There must be more players that can't decode pre-emphasis. Anyone? :wave:

Does any one own the Primare CD21? Can it decode pre-emphasis?

22. Starwanderer

23. KeithH

I had never heard of this SACD player, so I had to look it up. It was never released in the U.S., but it sure looks nice. I found a web site that has it for $700.

It looks like a scaled-back version of the SCD-DR1.

Attached Files:

24. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I don't think your engineer friend could agree with both of them, the first one is just wrong. You would have to use pre-emphasis when originally recording the analog source if you wanted to reduce tape hiss later, like with Dolby, or dbx. Pre-emphasis will boost the tape hiss and all the other high frequencies, and then de-emphasis will just restore it to the original level.

25. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Anyone know if the Rega Apollo properly decodes pre-emphasis?