List of quality DUALDISC you have heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by love4another, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Agreed. It's an unknown gem.

2. Of those three, I only own Brothers In Arms and think the 5.1 DVD-A is excellent but I haven't played it in stereo since buying the disc and can't comment if that is what you find a waste of plastic.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yep, sorry wrong format-meant dvd-v, Yeah I would like to see that DD of Ultra also

4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Rough Mix has a great surround mix, but the stereo mix is pretty compressed. Stick with the original CD for stereo.

5. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Crowded House
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
    Diana Krall -The Girl In The Other Room

6. Several Jesus and Mary Chain albums were released as stereo DualDisc CD/DVD-A, I can't recall if I own 4 or 5 or the album names other than Psychocandy, I was never a fan before these were released and only purchased them because of the high resolution stereo.

7. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Myself, I'd rate the 5.1 as only below average. At the disc's current >$60 price point I can not in good conscience advise anyone spending the money on it.

8. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Donald Fagen - Nightfly CD/DVD-A 5.1

9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Most dual-discs are only good for the 5.1 mix. The stereo mixes are usually no better than the remastered cd. For many of them, it's the only way to get a 5.1 mix.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I just listened to this 3 days ago. One of the best sounding discs in my vast collection. Heaven on Earth. WAY above average.

11. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

The Depeche Mode remasters were SACD/CD hybrids + DVD in Europe. SACD/CD hybrids are dual layer, so they will play in either type player.

For the U.S. they were CD + DVD.

The DVD stereo tracks are 24/48

12. dee

dee Senior Member

I like Springsteen's Devils and Dust which includes different takes of the songs too as bonus solo performances. The dual disc plays in my Pioneer dvd player, but not, moronically ironically, in a SONY machine (sad/cd).

13. 007james

007james Forum Resident

The Church - Forget Yourself - good surround
    Originally you could get all of the Talking Heads at amazon UK as a cd+dvda which I preferred over Dual-Disc, some are still available

ProfBoz likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

15. Most of the DualDisc DVD-As include high resolution stereo, usually 24/96 but sometimes 24/48.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. I don't recall exactly when I purchased this disc, 2005 probably, but I haven't played it in stereo since. With so many thousand discs I don't play any many times a year but that one gets played a couple, more than most.

17. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Yes, but the high resolution stereo is usually as compressed and loud as the cd side.

18. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

yeah, so it IS a dual layer, bought mine in Europe :D

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The only DualDisc I have/have heard is Bill Withers JUST AS I AM. I haven't heard the 5.1 mix on it, but the stereo mix sounds excellent - big/open sounding, with very solid, impressive (but properly balanced) bass.

20. Not always, Sony decided that 16-bit/48kHz was "Hi-Rez" enough on their DualDiscs.:(

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Sad if true :), firmly in the bottom 5% of mine. Of course I have ditched most modern style 'brickwalled' remasters or it might rank higher if it didn't have to contend only with good sounding discs.

Anyhow folks beware the $50+ rule. Let your own financial situation dictate how much you should error on the side of caution - ie, how much you want to throw away :)

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Fewer than 50 copies are known to have been sold before it was recalled, it was not serviced as a promo, and the material has never been reissued. One of the very rarest commercial discs ever.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

24. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Sounds like you're talking about the hybrid sacd, rather than a dualdisc?

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I knew they were rare, but Wow never realized that!

I got a "listening copy" on eBay many years back, and a sealed one from the forums here in 2007? as an upgrade. Glad I've never opened it :)

Wonder if the rest were destroyed or sit in an undisclosed Sony Warehouse?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.