List of reverse-channel stereo digital albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jbintenn, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbintenn

jbintenn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Most of us being audio purists at heart on this wonderful forum would agree that one of the cardinal sins that we run across every so often when trying to find the best sound-sourced material for our favorite music is the dreaded: Left and Right channel reversal on our favorite stereo recordings ("Eeek gads, Gilligan!").

Therefore, I thought it might be of value for those of us that have run across this recently in our excursions to point out this flaw and bring it to the forefront for others to benefit while doing your research on your next purchase.

So I would like to start us off with the first 'Channel Reversal No-No' and it is from A&M Records. I was shocked to hear that major providers of digital albums for purchase and download i.e. Amazon, iTunes, and Google Play all currently have for our listening 'discomfort' the 'wrong' stereo versions of We Five's 1965 debut album, "You Were On My Mind". Naughty-naughty.

So I would like to provide the first "Listener Beware" red-flag notation for this wonderful recording for future reference to those that find themselves at the end of the day really desiring to hear the music as it was originally intended, and yes, that includes getting the right and left channels correct, for crying out loud.

Ok.........maybe I have revealed that this is definitely one of my pet-peeves when it comes to listening to music for me and it may or may not be that important to others, contrary to what I stated at the beginning. This thread, therefore, is not meant to start a debate on whether it is relevant or not in the big picture or if you happen to be one of those that thinks it really does not matter, please do not shy away from posting your contributions. Besides there are other threads already started on the subject matter where debates may or may not be raging as we speak (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/reverse-stereo-channels-what-is-the-impact.363149/). But I do think it is important to 'Start a list' for the benefit of others that, like me, do think it matters in the end.

So feel free to jump in and list your favorite (or not so much, whichever the case may be) reverse-channel stereo digital recordings. And these are clearly just channel reversals I am talking about, whether intentional or not. It does not include those that have been clearly remixed to change the stereo imagery and/or presentation. And if you have examples to post, as I do, that is even better. Thanks ahead of time for your participation.

Anyway, here is my example of my original posting taken from the original stereo LP version that I have restored and posted for my listening audience on my Youtube channel, TheVRP Channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/jbintenn).

Now, here is the sample digital source album, "You Were On My Mind", from Amazon's Digital Music site so you can select the sample song to compare:
    (By the way, I have confirmed that both iTunes and Google Play offer the exact same stereo version as Amazon.)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00386JZ4U?ie=UTF8&qid=1450368705&ref_=tmm_msc_swatch_0&sr=1-1</a>

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Kinks' first Castle CDs of Something Else, Arthur, Lola and Percy have reversed channels.
    The first Led Zeppelin CD, mastered by Marino, has reversed channels.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  3. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The only times this really bothers me is in classical music where orchestra position is very structured and rigid, and when pop releases have stereo drums. Reversed channels there make "you" the drummer instead of someone "looking" at the band. Great for when I'm trying to learn a song on my kit, but for listening it discombobulates me.

JLGB likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

US CD of
    Level 42's- Running In The Family- If I remember correctly, probably why I grabbed the WG

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Some from Genesis; the US and German releases of And Then There Were Three have reversed channels on all side two songs. The Atlanic and V/C PDO pressings of Duke have this issue on all tracks. The channel problem doesn't bother me with these albums.

There are also reversed channels on early pressings of the 2001 remaster of Judas Priest's Defenders of the Faith. Here, it's a deal breaker because it totally contradicts the standard Priest formula; left speaker for KK Downing and right for Glenn Tipton. On the remaster, it's the other way around. The label defended this **** up by claiming that it was "a creative decision made by the band themselves," but Glenn was not happy when he found out about the reversed channels. Subsequent copies of the remaster fixed the issue, but it can't save the terrible sound quality...

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I still don't get what's the big trouble about listening from the drummer's point of view :confused:.

7. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

From my listening standpoint, it's backwards. When I listen I like to "visualize" the band playing in front of me, as opposed to "being" the drummer. So if it's reversed it's as if a right handed drummer became left handed all of a sudden.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I understand what you say. The point I tried to make is that you're not the first person complaining about it in this forum, and I simply can't get what's so wrong with it. For instance, if we listen to John Bonham's snare drum in the right channel, it's annoying, but it's Phil Collins', it's ok?
    I respect your reasons, I just can't share them, that's all.

showtaper likes this.
  9. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Wishbone Ash - First Album (BGO release).

10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Just pick your speakers up and move them. :D

It doesn't seem to bother me as I haven't encountered one that was on a "DNA" album for me
    where I'm so familiar that the slightest alteration is obvious........

11. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The second half of Bowie's Fame And Fashion RCA CD.

12. peter

peter Senior Member

I have German LZIV that has reversed channels.

Also, I learned here that the Bowie Ziggy 30th has reversed channels too.

13. In addition to being terribly mastered (with the first few samples clipped from several tracks on its last disc), ELO's Afterglow boxed set was a casualty of reversed channels... Despite being quickly replaced with the better-sounding Strange Magic compilation and Flashback retrospective, the earlier 1990 package contains a few songs that have yet to appear on any other CD, including Buildings Have Eyes, Mandalay, Hello My Old Friend and A Matter Of Fact, plus an exclusive extended mix of Four Little Diamonds.

14. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

The One Way reissue of Phantoms by The Fixx

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

You can develop an inferiority complex, because of all the drummer jokes... like this:

What did the drummer say to the band leader?
    "Do you want me to play too fast or too slow?"

:)

Rne likes this.
  16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Elton's Tumbleweed Connection and Caribou UK DJM CDs are left/right reversed.

fredblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.