List your favorite UFO song, talk about it.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BDC, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Moogs solo album is great. This is what crystalized his songwriting skills and importance, to me. I always thought of UFO as Schenkers thing. But the songwriting of Moog is so cool. He's great. I saw them with Saxon recently and they rocked it. Thought he looked so skinny as to be ill. Bald and frail, then, Vinny kicks in , Mother Mary, they tore it up. Great show. I appreciate Vinny now too. The stew of Shenker on those early UFO albums is just amazing music. Such great playing. Memorable and epic but still pure rock.

The other side is some of the stuff is kind of generic. Some of the ballads just so so. But, when they get it, They Get It. Great band. Moog is way underrated as songwriter. Some real cool lyrics and twists of phrase. Pure Rock N Roll.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  2. Schenker era : " Love To Love" both versions (LO and SITN) for slightly different reasons, ... though, hmmmm : "Obsession" (the whole album, I LOVE : The sequencing + cover).

Chapman era : "Long Gone" from The Wild, The Willing And The Innocent ... hands down. I love the brooding / hopeless atmosphere ending with the beautiful yet pensive orchestration leading almost seamlessly into ... the title track.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    BDC and Jimmy Agates like this.
  3. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Rock Bottom, Phenomenon is my favorite album by them and it has another favorite Doctor Doctor.

BDC likes this.
  4. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent.

Set opener when I saw them open for the Outlaws in 1981. Love the groove, Pete Way's bass and the backing vocals.

Jimmy Agates and BDC like this.
  5. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Er, that's I'm A Loser. ;)

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I wouldn't normally "trust" a hard rock track weighing in at only 2 mins 28 secs, but this just kills. Super groove and Mental Mickey's all over it. Extra points awarded for the guitar solo change up at 1:31.

7. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

Great band, even now. Saw them a couple times last year and they still bring it for Gents of their age. These are my three favor eras of the band, own the studio, live records plus a nice collection of bootlegs

Bolton era
    Prince Kajuku

Shenker era
    This Kids, live or studio

Chapman Era
    Doing it all for you

8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Much as I love 'Rock Bottom' and have spent many a drunken night air-guitaring to it with my best mate, my favourite UFO track, hands-down is 'Profession of Violence'; just an utterly brilliant song with a fantastically melodic solo from Chapman that was written while he was standing knee-deep in the sea, apparently; which for a guitarist in UFO is almost a feat in itself (the standing up bit!)

9. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

You quoted lyrics from "I'm a loser"........Also brilliant......but kind of in the same style lyrically.
    Could of made the same mistake... but I made a worse one thinking a Mogg/Way album had a Nu metal sound...
    I was keeping an eye on the last US tour and they didn't come my way unfortunately, but I like the Vinnie Moore stuff and the new covers album. I have watched clips of shows from the tour on Youtube, and thought it was worth seeing live.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Too many to try to pick only one.....Rock Bottom, Doctor Doctor, I'm a Loser, This Kids', Shoot Shoot, Venus, Lights Out, Let It Roll, Too Hot to Handle, Only You Can Rock Me, and many more....

If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to chose, I'd have to go with Venus though.

11. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Ah... That one then...

BDC likes this.
  12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

That's my favorite *today*. :D

BDC likes this.
  13. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Off the top of my head.
    Don't think I can name one....

Just Another Suicide
    Out On The Streets
    I'm A Loser
    Looking Out For No. 1
    No Place To Run

vamborules and slipkid like this.
  14. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

"Pack It Up And Go"

A tight, 3-minute rocker like "Rock The Nation" and "Shout It Out Loud". And Schenker's scorching solos are as good as it gets.

Jimmy Agates and slipkid like this.
  15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

UFO's Phenomenon may be my all time favorite album cover

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  16. The best UFO song is "A Self-Made Man." Totally bad-ass.

BDC and slipkid like this.
  17. And under-rated track from that album is "Dreaming of Summer." Right up there with "Love To Love" among their prettier songs.

Lonecat, Crush Everything and slipkid like this.
  18. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I was reminded today of my favorite song about UFO; there probably aren't enough of those for a whole thread, so I'll just drop it here:

"Pete Way's Trousers" by Robbie Fulks

BDC likes this.
  19. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

I have to give my wholehearted endorsement to Love To Love, as well, considering it’s also my favorite song of all. It never fails to give me goosebumps after all this time. Michael Schenker and Phil Mogg (along with Pete Way, Paul Raymond and Andy Parker) were a match made in rock heaven, as writers and performers. I wish they could get along and were still making music together, although even they would have trouble replicating the sheer sorcery of this soulful, melodic tour de force. UFO has an embarrasment of riches when it comes to great songs, really, but there’s just something uniquely special about this one. Phil told me it was his favorite UFO song, too, so we’re in pretty good company, Jimmy. Good call!

Jimmy Agates and slipkid like this.
  20. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

Not sure if somene has already pointed this out (and sorry to nitpick), but those lyrics are from I’m A Loser, not Out On The Streets, although the phrase, “out on the streets” does appear in the chorus, which is an easily forgivable thing to confuse off the cuff.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Away from the usual spotlight songs, I'm very fond of 'Love Lost Love' from Force It (for the guitar work) and 'Oh My' off Phenomenon (so much said in under two and a half minutes).

UFO were a happy accident for me. A mate played me the Phenomenon album one night at his place, and he only heard it in turn as a lad he worked with recommended it in passing.

I often think there could be an interesting Hoffman thread discussing how you got into your favourites bands (but it's so obvious it's probably been done numerous times).

slipkid, Greenalishi and BDC like this.
  22. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Inca Roads....

Oh, right, sorry. My mistake. Mother Mary.

Greenalishi and BDC like this.
  23. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

The guitar solo from 1.55 to 3.00 and the strings kick back in...........kleenex every time.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  24. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Damn...was hoping for soem lyrics on that one but it's just a devil went down to Georgia style romp!!

25. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

It's tough only picking one, but High Flyer is probably my favorite UFO song. It's perfect in its simplicity and the solo is a real highlight. Schenker's tone and melodic phrasing are to die for !

Jeff Minn and slipkid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.