Listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails and WOW

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timind, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

It really is an excellent intro to the band. It doesn't have the full-length "Who Do You Love," which wouldn't fit anyway, but comes damn close to being all the neophyte really needs.

2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Imo Quicksilver is not a band best covered with a compilation. Instead I would insist that the first two are musts, and Shady Grove is recommended, but the rest is optional. I myself have Lost Gold and Silver, which is great. But is it necessary? Not really. The first two are, though. There's not a single second on either of them I would want to do without for this band.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I only saw quicksilver after john left. I did get to play with him with the sounds of s.f. in 1986. I sat in for joey Covington for a couple of songs. you can hear it here. I'm on the closing two songs of the late show.

unclefred likes this.
  4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The first two are indeed essential - but most of the great songs on those albums are already on Sons of Mercury anyway (except for the complete "Who Do You Love" as mentioned earlier). Add in all of the other outstanding cuts which came along after Happy Trails which are on the two-disc comp, not to mention the nice sound quality Rhino did for that set, and I'd say it's an excellent overview.

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Sons of Mercury

with liner notes by my brother jeff tamarkin. :wave:

6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

It also leaves off Too Long, which is a great song off the first album. Almost country. Heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.