Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like I don't have a digital evil twin for this one ...

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Modern music from the late 20s/early 30s. Recorded in 1969. Producer: Peter Dellheim. Engineer: Bernard Keville. Good sound & playing.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think I prefer the Violin Concerto--has a stronger voice. It's more harmonically abrasive, but it has more to say to my ears.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Enjoying both of these symphonies from this CD tonight, from Karajan's 60's cycle. One of the smartest "budget buys" I ever made.
    [​IMG]

6. coopmv

This CD has to be good as it was remastered from Karajan's recordings made in the 1960's ...

ToddBD likes this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yep, the sound is marvelous...I like every Musikfest CD I have, in my view the DG folks got it all right with those budget releases, I grab them whenever I see them.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. coopmv

Karajan's recordings from the 1960's are generally better than his later recordings from the 1970's which had excessive legatos ...

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have that CD...or at least I had it. I have no idea where it is. I wonder if it got lost when I moved three years ago.

ToddBD likes this.
  10. coopmv

Mine has different CD art ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

This 2015 issue was their last new recording. I tend to prefer their recordings of early music, but was surprised to find my girlfriend randomly listening to it off Spotify, which led to the inevitable "we need to listen to it in surround" conversation, and we've sat down and listened to it several times now. The music is Americana, with country and classical elements. It's a good disc to share with someone who tends to like ballads, country, and other perhaps stereotypically female stuff.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

Not my kind of A4 music ...

13. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

My understanding is that Chesky released many of the recordings on these sets as individual CDs, including two discs entitled Light Classics I & II, as well as a number of other discs focused on the repertoire with some of the longer pieces.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "Saturn and Polyphony" performed by Ensemble Daedalus directed by Roberto Festa on Accent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Listening to this, a 2008 recording of the String Quartets by Joseph Wölfl. Another great release from Caro Mitis in great sound.

16. crispi

I also bought this not too long ago on LP, as French gatefold pressing.

Wes H likes this.
  17. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

One of many corners in my home.
    I have quite a few ot CDs from Caro Mitis and they all are works of art. But I haven't seen any new releases from them for ages so I suspect they have closed shop. Many of them, maybe all ?, were recorded by the Pentatone crew so the sound is terrific.

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 9. Quartet in A Minor, Op. 132 and Quartet in F Major, Op. 135.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Wes H like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

21. crispi

The Caro Mitis SACDs are terrific, indeed. I didn’t know about the Pentatone connection. I have never checked out Pentatone because of their cover art. I am a very visual person and I see no need to check out their recordings with so many other options available. I just can’t be bothered with artwork thrown together in Photoshop in bad taste. To me, it needs to be a coherent whole.

Soulpope and Thomas R like this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

23. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Thanks. I just looked them up and they aren't the same recordings. They are a different conductor (Gerhardt) and recorded after the RD set was released.

24. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

This set arrived in the post today (£7 used, bargain!). However, I was rather intrigued to learn from page 8 of the booklet essay that virtually all of Raff's work is lost. "All that survives today is the lollipop Cavatina," so says James Harding. A little strange, then, that I have recordings of seven of the symphonies, a couple of discs of piano music, a piano concerto, and overtures to four Shakespeare plays!

[​IMG]

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Another Musikfest CD for this morning...
    [​IMG]