Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen. This recording by Kubelik is considered the best for this work ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze, Mild Mavis and 2 others like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Johann Stamitz (1717-57) was based in Mannheim & directed its famous orchestra. He was the father of composer Carl Stamitz (1745-1801). The jacket is actually for a mono copy, with a stereo sticker added. I wonder why the Nonesuch catalog numbers had an H prefix.

bluemooze and mdekoning like this.
  3. coopmv

I only have a small handful of MHS LP's since I did not like the press quality that much so I just ended my membership as soon as I had lived up to my obligations ...

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Tonight I pulled this out from the recently acquired vinyl pile. Very relaxing music.

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

From Academy Records in NYC? :D

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I think this is one I got from Wonderland Records in suburban Chicago. I went there after I got back from NY.

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Almost certain its "Telefunken" based on the font.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

On the cover? Or the label? They usually identify the source, often Erato in the 70s. Not on this one, though.

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have never heard a great-sounding MHS LP from that era, but there's some interesting stuff that will never be on CD. I pay $1 or less per record but may have to get rid of some to make more room if I continue buying LPs. And actually, the sound & pressing quality on the Pachelbel album isn't at all bad.

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Odd that someone added a "STEREO" sticker to that jacket, since the LP label is for the mono-issue record.

You can check the deadwax to verify the true catalog number: H-1076-A/B for the mono; H-71076-A/B for the stereo.

I'm including a shot below of what my stereo copy looks like:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Sounds my sort of eating :D

Seriously, my 19 year old son was in Chicago last year and loved the place :). He was on an American Football training camp (he's a Quarter-Back for Warsaw Eagles), touring around the major University training facilities - Michigan, Ohio, Vanderbilt, Illinois etc.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The deadwax has the stereo catalog #. Listening again through headphones it seems the stereo spread is minimal. Is your copy like that?

13. coopmv

The press quality of those MHS LP's is comparable to the RCA's and Columbia's ...

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The few MHS LPs that I have sound ok, not bad not great either.

15. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

The Westminster Legacy boxed set (40CD) was mentioned a few pages back. I have always like the look of this one, but never got around to getting it. Is it good - what is the sound like? These are early 1950s onwards, I think, so should be OK, right?

16. coopmv

Available on Amazon US for just over $70 by a Germany based Amazon seller ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

How do you like your CD?

I have the following SACD ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  18. I have that one as a regular CD. I also have the following volume on SACD:
    [​IMG]

As for the one I'm listening to now, it's beautiful. Like all of Angela Hewitt's other Beethoven discs I've heard it's superb both in terms of recording and performance quality.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

I am still a bit unsure about her Beethoven, though I also have her Chopin ...

[​IMG]

Kundera the joke. and bluemooze like this.
  20. Don't have any of her Chopin. but I do have some Ravel, Chabrier, Mozart and Scarlatti. But I like her Bach and Beethoven best.

ds58 and Mild Mavis like this.
  21. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I think Kubelik and Jiri Belohlavek are rated equally. I wouldn't like to choose. One of my favourite symphonic works and I have two versions by each of these conductors.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  22. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Any other fans of Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch on here? I have her Bach Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin and her Biber Mystery Sonatas. as we all know sex sells and I'm sure if she'd been a young beauty she'd have been a lot more popular.

NP Vilde Frang Britten and Korngold Violin Concertos.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Recorded 7/56, Kingsway Hall, London. Producer: Walter Legge. Engineer: Douglas Larter. I also have these fine performances in a 2-CD Artist Profile set. This is a later pressing than the jacket would indicate.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Andris Nelsons' third Shostakovich release with the Boston SO is expected in July:

[​IMG]

Bubbamike, bluemooze and ds58 like this.