Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Henryk Szeryng's Mercury recordings with Antal Doráti, Rafael Kubelík and the Sibelius/Prokofiev Concertos with Gennadi Rozhdestvensky are all included in the Decca box. His RCA recordings are scattered over the big Arthur Rubinstein, Pierre Monteux and Charles Munch Sony/RCA boxes. Hopefully Sony will collect them in a Szeryng/RCA box someday.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, Hungaroton may be the only record company that does this as my Annie Fischer's Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas had all its CD's sealed in paper sleeves ...

3. coopmv

How is your Henryk Szeryng's DG box?

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Although it does include Szeryng's DG recordings the box was released on Decca. I don't have it, I checked its contents on the Presto Classical site (I posted a link a while ago) and it does contain quite a lot of stuff I don't really care for, and I'm not sure I'll be getting it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Spinning... The discs or your head?

7. Rose River Bear

I only listen to stuff like this on nights I am not drinking. :D

StarThrower62 likes this.
  8. coopmv

Indeed, there may be a good number of CD's in that box I would not care for ... :agree:

9. Rose River Bear

10. Rose River Bear

Claudio looking mighty dapper in that photo.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

Dan C, ibanez_ax, Byrdsmaniac and 3 others like this.
  12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The preference for mono mixes in pop music is mainly (not always) associated with records that got inferior or at best mediocre stereo mixes. This was of course mainly in the 60s. Engineers spent a lot of time making the pop mono mix because it was the principal way most of their young listeners were going to hear it on cheap record players and the radio. That was not true of classical music where the stereo mix got the most attention and care generally. Also most classical labels in that era used more natural mic'ing techniques well suited to stereo.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've noticed a trend on a lot of these classical covers which feature the performer: either they look dapper as hell or they look like they fell out of a "fashion mistakes of the *insert decade here*" buzzfeed article. :laugh:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  14. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD from my Chopin collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Daedalus like this.
  15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yes, went for it after reading about it here (posts by yourself I believe) :D Arrived from the rainforest. :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  16. I agree, especially for the early concertos.

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am not familiar with Olga Kern but have many Warsaw Phil/Wit recordings.

18. I've once read a review which claimed this to be the best Quattro Stagioni ever recorded. Is it an overstatement, or does it live up to that title?

19. Daedalus

Similar to the Profil boxes.

20. Daedalus

My listening selection this morning: CD 55 from the Szell box. Casadesus-Mozart-piano Concertos 26,27. The coffee is steeping in the press.

Marzz, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  21. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Can someone (or a few of you) provide me with a few recommendations on "where to start" with Pavarotti? I've always been blown away by his voice, but I own nothing by him (save for the Miss Sarajevo single he did with U2/Passengers).

I just picked up his O Sole Mio and Greatest Hits LP's on the cheap on the "Vinyl For Sale" forum, but I'd love to know what the consensus is regarding his "best" or classic LP's....

Thanks!

Marzz and Daedalus like this.
  22. Daedalus

I generally think that his earlier opera recordings are the best-the first decade plus( but I still bought the big box set of his career work). If you are looking at LP sets only and not CDs there are many of his early Decca operas available in used market.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Marzz, featheredfiend and bluemooze like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I liked it a lot, but I have a bunch of other Quattro Stagioni recordings that I enjoy just as much, including the one from Rachel Podger and Brecon Baroque. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend giving this a listen. :)

mdekoning likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 2 of new arrival, "Monastic Chant - 12th & 13th C. European Sacred Music" performed by Theatre Of Voices led by Paul Hillier on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

Marzz and Jazzicalit like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Szell box.

Daedalus, Eigenvector, Marzz and 4 others like this.