Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Agree. And a top-notch performance.

tomymontana and Rose River Bear like this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On the turntable, record 1 of 2 from "Monteverdi - Christmas Vespers / Three Motets" performed by Accademia Monteverdiana directed by Denis Stevens on Nonesuch.

[​IMG]

Worker, Marzz and Jazzicalit like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like I was the only one who has this recording but I don't have a Naim setup ... :winkgrin:

4. bluemooze

On the turntable, record 2 of 2 from "Vivaldi - L'Estro Armonico" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

While I have never heard this recording, I kind of doubt about this claim as there have been many outstanding recordings of these works made over the years and even some more recent releases ...

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

With the Florilegium / L'Oiseau-Lyre releases, I'm predicting that I'm going to be going all in on their stuff just based on my reactions to what I've already been able to acquire.

Question is, with their Baroque Era and Mozart Symphonies boxes OOP and priced accordingly, is there any easy way to get hold of those collections without having to source everything individually, or will I just be waiting for another "re-boxing" to hit the market?

7. bluemooze

I could understand someone calling it their favorite, but the word 'best' doesn't work for me. I don't believe it. :)

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

You've been warned. The Ravel Edition, and my Solti Ring sets came with cardboard sleeves. But the Zoltan Kocsis Bartok piano set, and Poulenc/Dutoit orchestral set also have paper sleeves, but at least they weren't sealed shut like the Haydn.

9. StarThrower62

10. bluemooze

IIRC, you don't have or no longer have a turntable? (I may be thinking of someone else, not really sure). :)

11. bluemooze

I've been running into this sealed sleeves thing lately. Not only is it annoying, but surely it must cost the manufacturers more than leaving them unsealed? :confused:

12. coopmv

Are those Florilegium / L'Oiseau-Lyre releases only available in the used vinyl bins these days? I don't believe any new pressings are hitting the market ...

13. bluemooze

On the turntable, record 3 of 3 from "Mozart - The Symphonies Vol. 4" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Symphony in C maj. K 173dB
    Symphony in D maj. K 186
    Symphony in D maj. K 186b

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Daedalus, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  14. bluemooze

Yes, used vinyl only, but often in near-mint/mint condition. And availability has increased since the release of the CD boxes.

Edit: And prices have dropped since the release of the CD boxes.

The Mozart symphonies can all be had on vinyl...

[​IMG]

15. StarThrower62

Who knows why they make these asinine decisions at these companies? But if it's anything like the post office (where I used to work) the decision is made by some ignorant manager that has no clue about the product.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Wow. What beautiful sets. Don’t know why they are so scarce over here, but I’ve never seen L’Oiseau-Lyre LPs in the used bins in Germany.

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I still have a turntable, but it's basically a stand for my dust bunny collection these days.

Vinyl as a format, I have nothing against - I swear! It was just too fidgety and expensive to "do right" from my perspective, so it definitely fell down the priority ladder and hit every rung on the way.

That said, were I to find a decently priced lot of those classical records, I'd definitely make an exception or five! :laugh:

Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Holy hair light Batman! Looks like the portraits I took when I first learned how to use a light kit during the first semester in art school. :shh: I bet the music is glorious though...

dan c

bluemooze likes this.
  19. coopmv

Did/do you own all those Hogwood's Mozart Symphonies on vinyl?

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've got the original vinyl and it was also one of the last SACDs I bought before giving up on the format. It's a great record, great sound. Have never heard it in surround though.

dan c

MrSka57 and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

They just do not like to stock English labels over in Germany ... :winkgrin:

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

23. bluemooze

I do. It took me over 20 years to complete the set. :)

Runicen likes this.
  24. bluemooze

Or maybe they value sound quality and keep the records in their collections. :winkgrin:

Runicen likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 11/17-18 & 26-30/58, Walthamstow Hall, London. Producer/Engineer: Bert Whyte. Original Everest LPs issued 2/58 (Billy) & 6/59 (Symphony). Recorded on 1/2 inch 3-track tape. Supervisor for 1996 CD: Seymour Solomon. Digital remastering: Ed Friedner. SBM processing: Dixon Van Winkle, Sony Classical Productions.