Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I think I'm going to slightly edit this...

On average, I think, I listen to 2-4 CDs per month from each of my box sets.

Daedalus likes this.
  2. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Plainchant & Polyphony from Medieval Germany" performed by Schola Antiqua led by R. John Blackley on Nonesuch.

[​IMG]

Jazzicalit likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Jazzicalit, andolink and bluemooze like this.
  4. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Just finished Disc 33 from the Alicia de Larrocha complete Decca recordings box:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know these pieces well, but de Larrocha's playing seems very assured and convincing.

Dan C, vanhooserd, Mr Bass and 4 others like this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

6. Rose River Bear

I would like to buy that set at some point. I don't have a lot of BW performances.

7. Rose River Bear

That is a great sounding disc. I don't have many discs with harpsichord.

8. coopmv

I have just under a dozen of recordings under the Dorian label. Did it go out of business?

9. Rose River Bear

I think it did unfortunately.

10. coopmv

I wonder who took over its catalog ...

11. Rose River Bear

Good question. They really did a great job with "early" works.

12. Rose River Bear

Spinning Harnoncourt's recording of the mighty Eroica. Shades of Romanticism in the 3rd movement.
    [​IMG]

J.A.W., bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing CD44 - Chopin Ballade Nos. 1 - 4, Barcarolle and Fantaisie from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

They also managed to get some well-known soloists to record for them ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Getting a little specific here but IMO the bars from 10:04 to 10:21 qualify as the most intense music that has ever been written. Lenny seems to think so as well.

ibanez_ax, Octave and bluemooze like this.
  16. bluemooze

I had put it off for a long time but as I watched other boxes go OOP I finally made up my mind. :)

17. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

I really regret missing it. To think I dragged my feet because of the LP-sized format. IIRC there were some notable items missing from it (?), so maybe an expanded reissue is something we hope for before The Cloud swallows up the world. He was a lion!

I think Sono Luminus is still reissuing Dorian things and controls the catalog now? IIRC Brilliant Classics licensed some things, but I am too lazy to check right now. (Villa-Lobos string quartets set? Some other Latin American composers, like Chavez symphonies?)

Listened to more Shostakovich string quartets by the later Borodin Quartet: quartets 8/9/10.

Finished with my little batch of Samuel Barber, and I think Knoxville, Summer of 1915 is my favorite piece by him. This recording was by Karina Gauvin (cond. Alsop), but I am going to hasten to a disc I have with Leontyne Price. I bet's it's killer.
    Another Barber/Alsop disc with the piano concerto etc was much less to my liking. It included a Christmas carol pastiche (?) that I found rather poor.

Now listening to more Messiaen organ music by Latry....spec. the epic Les Corps Glorieux. Organ music has been a slowly acquired taste for me, but I just got my first subwoofer, and this actually helps immeasurably. Not just a novelty effect! As always, there is no substitute for the cathedral, but for whatever reason my (distant) experiences with the real thing have left me cold. That's a pity. This music is still not quite a natural fit for me, but the otherworldly quality (and not just of Messiaen) has an appeal. I will listen to Gillian Weir's recordings maybe next year.

bluemooze and Daedalus like this.
  18. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

Some christmas present wrapping music.

From the Decca Sound box set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning:CD 1 of the Complete Symphonies by Shostakovich performed by The Tartarstan National Symphony under the direction of Alexander Sladkovsky recorded by Melodiya in 2016. This first CD contains symphonies 1and 2. This set has been getting glowing reviews. I have several box sets of the complete symphonies( Rostropovich, Kondrashin, Shostakovich, Barshai and the Melodiya box set which has a selection of conductors in the mix)and some individual symphonies on LP conducted by Haitink, Mravinsky, Rozhdestvensky and Karajan.

Kundera the joke. and bluemooze like this.
  20. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

I have seen two versions of a Carlos Kleiber's box with official DGG recordings, and I didn't buy it because I already own almost all of them. A "big" box could be more interesting (there are many unofficial live recordings, available as bootlegs... among which a nice Berg's Wozzeck), also if the problem of redundant official cds would remain.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to member @hvbias it has some (mild) noise reduction.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Dorian Recordings - Wikipedia
    Sono Luminus - Wikipedia

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Jazzicalit

Carl Orff/Gunild Keetman
    Weihnachtsgeschichte - Alpenländische Weihnachtslieder
    Tölzer Knabenchor, Collegium Pro Musica Innsbruck, Hammerauer Musikanten, Gerhard Schmidt-Gaden

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Jazzicalit

Ludwig van Beethoven - Missa Solemnis Op.123
    Margaret Price - Gundula Janowitz - Christa Ludwig - Wieslaw Ochman - Martti Talvela
    Konzertvereinigung
    Wiener Staatsopernchor
    Wiener Philharmoniker / Karl Böhm

[​IMG]

25. coopmv