Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

One of the great choral pieces of all time, I mean that. Just The song of the Wood Dove is enough.

bluemooze, cdgenarian and Luisboa like this.
  2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    One of the six volumes in this series I have. Recorded 3/12-13 & 15-16/93, Unitarian Church, Budapest by the same team as my previous posts.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, first listen to "Works for Piano Trio by Antonin Dvorak, Joseph Finlay and Frank Martin" performed by the Leibniz Trio on Genuin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HenryFly, Jacline, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this SACD one of five from the following box? Below is the 5-SACD box in my collection ...

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

Yes, same set. I haven't listened to the SACD layer yet. :)

6. coopmv

I have only listened to the set once, to the SACD layer ...

bluemooze likes this.
  7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

We had two Tower outlets in New York City. I went every weekend from about 1994 until they closed in the late 1990s. Unfortunately, I wasn't into classical music at the time.

layman, Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  8. bluemooze

On Spotify, first listen to "Bach - Cello Suites I, II, V" performed by Gyongy Erodi on Carpe Diem Records.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. coopmv

On W 5th (??) off Broadway and Lincoln Center. I shopped at the Village store often ...

10. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Listening to this evening....

[​IMG]

Schumann - Beethoven Studies

Olivier Chauzu - Piano

Jacline, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I listened to that one on Spotify as well and liked it. The Menuets in the First Suite have an extended cadenza (you can see it is over 8' long), but I couldn't find any info about it anywhere on the web. I also don't know if any of the other movements have similar extensions.

12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Listening to this new arrival tonight:

[​IMG]

Berg: Wozzeck. Mack Harrell, Eileen Farrell, Dimitri Mitropoulos, New York Philharmonic. Sony Masterworks Heritage release, recording from Carnegie Hall 1951.

bluemooze, crispi and Dan C like this.
  13. misterjones

They had regular stores on 86th Street and Third Avenue, one near Lincoln Center (with an excellent classical selection, of course), and another (as you note) in the Village. They had discount outlets near the 86th Street and Village locations. They might have had a smaller store in Trump Tower at one point. The halcyon days of brick and mortar stores in the 1990s. Adding to Tower, there were several HMV stores, a couple Sam Goody stores, several Wiz stores, a place called Coconuts, Barnes and Noble, Borders and Record Explosion (I think it was called). There were days I'd walk for miles to visit as may as I could before my legs gave out.

The Tower Records store in Japan supposedly is a sight to behold.

bluemooze, layman, cdgenarian and 2 others like this.
  14. coopmv

I bought a number of my classical LP's from Record Hunter, which was on 5th between 42nd and 43rd ...

Who could forget J&R Classical at Park Row near City Hall. It consistently had the best prices on classical LP's and CD's ...

layman and vanhooserd like this.
  15. misterjones

That's where the CD store "Record Explosion" was. They must have taken over the space from Record Hunter.

J&R was great then it really began to suck the last couple years or so. Lousy inventory.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I worked at Tower Books here 1994-96. It was across the parking lot from Tower Records & I got the employee discount at both stores. For almost 10 year after I left I still knew people who worked there who would buy discounted CDs for me. Nice. My time at Tower marked the beginning of my classical buying.

Runicen, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  17. misterjones

My first classical music purchase (at Tower Records near Lincoln Center) after I bought my first CD player in 1993. (I also bought the two "Lenny Bruce Originals" CDs at the same time. Go figure.) I wanted the Bach cello suites and I had seen Maisky impressively perform a Haydn cello concerto a few years earlier.

[​IMG]

Jacline, Mr Bass, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Last record tonight... Looking on the shelf for something I don't play often and came up with this.
    Louis Spohr--Symphonien 6 & 9. Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra led by Swiss conductor Karl Anton Rickenbacher.
    Recorded April 20-22, 1983, Herkulessaal, München.
    Orpheo LP, German, 1984.

[​IMG]

According to the album notes, the cover illustration is the composer's self portrait (ca. 1806).

[​IMG]

McLover, Mugrug12, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  19. coopmv

Most of my first 1000 CD's and some 4000 LP's were bought from J&R, Tower and Record Hunter.

bluemooze and layman like this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I loved Tower. It was always a fun place to visit, browse, check out the new releases and sales and the various characters that shopped there. ;)
    It was almost impossible to leave without buying something.
    I miss it terribly.

[​IMG]

21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

CALL A DOCTOR !! The poor girl seems to have fainted....:rolleyes:

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  22. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

bluemooze and cdgenarian like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

bluemooze and Wugged like this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I got my records from several stores in the US, including Sam Goody's and a store in White Plains, NY, whose name I forgot, back in the 1960s-1970s; Alexej Ugrinsky's Airdisc USA (mail order) on Broadway, NYC was one of them - I assume it's long gone. During the 1970s I got most of my records from Disc Center, Osaka, Japan.

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'll just chime in with I also miss Tower Records.
    I shopped at the original one at Bay and Columbus streets in San Francisco when I was in the Air Force.
    I spent a few dollars at the Tower and the Classical Annex on South Street in Philadelphia.
    The one that opened in the Valley Forge shopping center was 5 minutes from my home in Norristown, PA.