Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

@J.A.W. I meant to direct this question to you but I forgot to put in the link ...

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I wonder how much it costs to license such historic names & logos. I suppose such things have very little importance to the current conglomerate copyright holders of the recordings. They should at least indicate the origins of the recordings inside the booklets, but even booklets are becoming things of the past for those who abandon physical media.

Luisboa likes this.
  4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

5. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Chopin collection ...

[​IMG]

Dan C, Jazzicalit and bluemooze like this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I don't want to be too cynical but if you want a glimpse of the future peruse the classical music listings on Amazon such as they are. There are almost random titles, links and names associated to various classical recordings and of course the reviews are a complete mishmash. Bob Marley was the composer of one recording of Cosi Fan Tutte while a Mahler symphony had a cover picture of mens shirts etc etc.

As is obvious, streamers whether from a personal server or the web rely on associated info being grabbed and linked to whatever is playing. This sort of works for well known popular songs and albums but breaks down for classical. I think we are the last generation to worry about such things outside of a few future academics.

McLover, Luisboa, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    OK, so I got Glazunov-curious. Volume 2 was very dull & I actively disliked the Symphony. The rest has its pleasant moments, but I would say you can safely skip all this music. Recorded in Moscow, 1995-97.

Luisboa, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

I know I have no standalone Glazunov recordings but may have some tracks buried in some other recordings as filler materials ...

9. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Interesting! I also have a couple of these Glazunov recordings in my “waiting to be played” pile. Now I’m curious enough to bump them up in priority to see if I feel the same way you do.

[​IMG]

10. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Currently enjoying Disc 1 of this set...

[​IMG]

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

Bach - Cantatas bwv 56 & 82.

misterjones, Luisboa and bluemooze like this.
  11. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Debussy collection. This CD should be included in the Karajan 1980's box since it was digitally recorded ...

[​IMG]

Wes H, ibanez_ax, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    More lovely quartets. Recorded 6/26-29/92 & 5/13-16/96, Unitarian Church, Budapest.

13. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

My favorite Schubert Symphonies cycle is that by Karl Bohm on Dgg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "Victoria - Officium Hebdomadæ Sanctæ" performed by La Colombina & Schola Antiqua on Glossa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazzicalit likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

This is the set (the original LP box that is) that started me on my most enjoyable Ancient Music journey. :righton:

Wes H, crispi and Eigenvector like this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the 40 disc Beethoven-The Masterworks Brilliant Classics box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Gardiner set with the complete Schumann symphonies; I haven't listened to it in ages, but as far as I can remember I did like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    layman, Wes H and crispi like this.
  18. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I would have acquired that set, but I believe there was much overlap with other DG sets. Because I cannot locate the Bach cantatas in my other DFD recordings, I'll have to take another look at that box. I think it's on Spotify in any event.

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1. Symphony #1, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

21. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Giovanni Gabrieli – The Taverner Choir*, London Cornett And Sackbut Ensemble ‎– Symphoniae Sacrae II, 1615
    [​IMG]
    Call me a newbie (I have been on my classical journey for less than a year)... In the case of pre-Classical music, I find survey albums like Music of the Gothic Era to be more a rewarding listen than 40-60 minutes of the same composer. Hogwood’s Pachelbel Canon is simply wonderful. Perhaps my ears are not there yet.

On another front, early Baroque - vocals with instrumental accompaniment, I call it - seems like a transitional form that lead to oratorio and opera on one path, and purely instrumental music on the other. Before Baroque the challenge seemed to be composing music that was original enough, did not stray too far from established forms, and, most important, was capable of public performance.
    Taruskin (Music from the Earliest Notations to the Sixteenth Century) says that, “the aspect of virtuosity, of executive skill on display, places a new emphasis on the act of performance and its public, hortatory aspect.”
    This statement seems to say that intermediary forms (in my collection, Giovanni Gabrieli), no matter how skillfully written, did not provide scope for virtuosity in performance and fell out of favor.
    I find that kind of a pity, but then I grew up on rock music, where virtuosity is not usually rewarded and certainly not required.

Please feel free to point out where I am way off, and add your thoughts.

22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

23. coopmv

So there it is, that Schumann Masterworks box has these unexpected Schumann Symphonies and a nice surprise since I already have many other Schumann Symphonies on DG ...

24. coopmv

Yeah, this is one of the earlier boxes I purchased for my Mendelssohn collection. I consider the performance more or less mainstream ...

25. coopmv

:edthumbs: I have most of the recordings by the Tallis Scholars but not this one ...

royzak2000 likes this.