Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Interludes..
    [​IMG]
    Recorded 1959/61/65 digital transfer and compilation 1987 EMI Studio CDM 7 69109 2 MPO France pressing and French EMI origination
    For those of us who love his Philharmonia account of the Symphonie Fantastique, the overtures as recorded at the Salle Wagram vividly.

Wes H, bigstar87, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The following recording has the most powerful cannon shots of all Tchaikovsky 1812 recordings ...

[​IMG]

I have owned this CD for a while.

3. coopmv

Need a bigger band like the LSO to make a bigger musical impact ...

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The cannon shot from that disc almost blew up my speakers years ago. Haven't listened to it since - don't care for much of Tchaikovsky's music anyway :)

5. coopmv

My understanding is the cannon shots were pre-recorded at the US Military Academy at West Point before they were re-recorded over the master tape containing the Dorati Tchaikovsky 1812 ...

[​IMG]

I am always extra careful whenever I put this CD on for a spin ...

bluemooze likes this.
  6. layman

layman Forum Resident

I wonder why this was never re-issued on SACD?

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

If I correctly paid attention to the commentary track on that very CD, most if not all of the cannon shots on that recording are actually slowed down rifle shots...

8. layman

layman Forum Resident

Disappointing...I was planning on getting the Analogue Productions SACD. I wonder what went wrong with the re-mastering?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. coopmv

Don't recall what was said on that track since I last listened to the CD a long time ago ...

10. crispi

It’s quite likely they used a different source mix. This was probably a three-track recording, going by Columbia’s standard at the time, and I’m almost certain a new mix was made for the SACD in order to skip one generation of tape. (Or maybe I’m wrong and it was only 2-track.) The SACD is still hissy as hell, but it has tremendous presence. The Analogue version might be using a different mix as the source, or maybe the original two-track downmix. Anyway, it’s not as hissy, but unfortunately that makes the music also sound a bit dead.

11. layman

layman Forum Resident

Your description makes it sound like the re-mastering team ran the tapes through the dreaded noise removal machine (which removes much of the excitement and liveness of the recording as well as removing noise).

12. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I have the AP version on the shelf but haven't gotten to it yet, the Sony version is excellent. Did you listen in 2 or 3 channel to the AP version?

I assume the Sony mastering is the one being used in the box. No need to change it out.

Edit to add, because I didn't see the most recent posts: AP used the 3-channel master and issued a SACD that had both the stereo mix and 3 channels "raw."

crispi likes this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Analogue Years box.
    Includes:
    Ravel - Introduction and Allegro.
    Debussy - Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

Sorry, keep playing this when drunk, don't know if it is those first few bars that sounded like the machine that was keeping me alive after my first heart attack 20 years ago.
    Or that it might be first Bruckner I had. No. 4 imgur is playing up. Sorted
    [​IMG]

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident Thread Starter

16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

That Melos is one of my favourite recordings.

Mugrug12, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Superb!

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mugrug12 and Dan C like this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Janacek: Glagolitic Mass. Ancerl, Czech Phil. Czech Supraphon red label.

I'm a fan of 2oth C small or large choral music which I find quite innovative.

[​IMG]

bigstar87, bluemooze and Mugrug12 like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to "Christine De Pizan - Chansons Et Ballades" performed by VocaMe on Berlin Classics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  20. coopmv

Just returned from my 50 min, 2 1/2 mile late afternoon and listened to the following CD from my Elgar collection ...

[​IMG]

21. crispi

No, no, no. No such thing. It’s just more recessed in the treble, that’s all. Ryan K. Smith would never do that. Come to think of it, some might prefer this mellow sound. I don’t, not when it comes to this recording.

Dan C likes this.
  22. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 nothing gold can stay

Now playing variations on a theme by Haydn from Szell/Cleveland on Columbia. Brilliant!

[​IMG]

Brahms strolled w a pet hedgehog ??

Wes H, Soulpope, ibanez_ax and 4 others like this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I liked these better. Maybe I'm just getting used to her approach. Sonatas recorded 9/3-5/90, Tonstudio van Geest, Heidelberg. Volume 13 recorded 3/91 & 9/91, Studio van Geest, Sandhausen. Producer: Martin Sauer.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sonatas recorded 11/89, Tonstudio van Geest, Heidelberg. Producer: Martin Sauer. Dances & Waltzes recorded 1992, Clara Wieck Auditorium, Heidelberg. Producer/engineer: Martin Sauer. I enjoyed the second CD, representing the "Pops" side of Brahms. I have read that he was full of praise for Johann Strauss II.

25. coopmv

Has Biret record all the Chopin works with Naxos?