Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

First listen of the day, the following CD from my Elgar collection ...

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  2. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Given how things work with classical music, it's most likely a repackage/reissue using the same UPC. https://www.discogs.com/John-DowlandConsort-Of-Musicke-John-Dowland-The-Collected-Works/release/8076721 is flagged as a a reissue. Since the two other box sets from 2007 (Beethoven Symphonies and Mozart Symphonies) were also reissues and the original releases are , it's likely they were in plastic cases.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  3. cartologist

He was upset at getting the MHS version from a Marketplace seller. THAT does not go into a review of the MUSIC. The one star reviewer didn't like recording quality.

Since Amazon's physical music sales have dropped (along with the rest of the world), except for new releases, they have offloaded physical sales to partners. Consequently their formerly excellent (ca. 2007) cataloging of music releases has gone into the dumper. I don't buy from them for the most part, except new releases that they actually stock. For some of my recent purchases, Presto has actually beaten them on price, because one of their partners is handling the transaction. (Arkiv has never beat Amazon on price.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Robert de Visée (ca.1650-ca.1725): Pieces for Theorbo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

samsondale, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  5. coopmv

After a bunch of purchases at Arkiv in the early 2000's, I stopped buying from them though I have continued to receive their email promotions. BTW, I have seen one star reviews where the reviewers mostly griped about something else, not the SQ or performance.

6. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Just had another listen to:

[​IMG]

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    4 Piano Sonatas played on a ca. 1820 fortepiano (or
    hammerklavier)

Conrad Hasen

DG MONO (P) 1956-58
    from the 51-CD boxset The Mono Years

This here was only ever released on CD as part of this boxset. Looking at my DG catalogues, it is there in the 1959 edition and still in print in 1962. But it being a mono recording, I assume it soon vanished form the catalogue never to reappear again until this CD reissue.

I really enjoy his playing, and the fortepiano sound is very good. There is a clarity and expressiveness to his melodic lines that I rarely find in other performers. The liner notes state Hansen was a pupil of Edwin Fischer’s. It’s quite surprising that DG decided to record this on a fortepiano, way before HIP was even a thing. Goes to show that performance history is not as linear as one if often led to believe.

[​IMG]

7. cartologist

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you mean Conrad Hansen (1906-2002) ;)

Conrad Hansen – Wikipedia

I have his recording of Beethoven's Piano Concerto 4 with Wilhelm Furtwängler/Berlin PO from 1943.

crispi likes this.
  9. coopmv

Interesting! I have about a half dozen recordings by Edwin Fischer, mostly on Naxos Historical, much more legit than Membran ... :winkgrin:

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

11. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Typo. :doh: I even call him Hansen in the text.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah yes, hadn't seen that, was reading too quickly I guess :)

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Was looking for Edwin Fischer's Beethoven Piano Sonatas recordings, but there are not that many. I'm not interested in labels like Membran/Documents.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The best thing is to simply return a defective record right away. I have only bought a very few newly recorded LPs the past 5 years, pop music only, but they were pressed OK. However, I have heard negative comments about recent classical vinyl (not reissues but new issues on DG and Decca). Mostly the recording sonics have been panned but there have been some pressing complaints. Of course some pop LPs are messed up too.

I only buy EU pressed records. But in this case this record seems to have been pressed in Germany. Decca is not going to care but Hilary Hahn might be annoyed to find this out. So maybe send an email to her rep.

Just speaking generally if you get very low frequency noise from an LP it's because: a. it is in the recording itself from outside traffic, construction etc, or b. it is a pressing defect, or c. the tonearm has a resonance outside the safe zone of 8 - 14 HZ. Some phono stages have a subsonic filter. If you have a subwoofer it may help to turn it off. LPs have to roll off very low bass anyway. And in truth very little music exists below 40HZ, the lowest notes of the double bass. Only the piano and organ go lower outside of synthesizers.

Byrdsmaniac and bluemooze like this.
  15. coopmv

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edwin Fischer recorded many more Bach than he did Beethoven ...

I have the following Naxos Historical CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reconstructed/remastered by MOT, one of the best in the business.

Artur Torres and bluemooze like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Edwin Fischer didn't record that many Beethoven Piano Sonatas, but more than the two included in the Icon set.

17. coopmv

There are 3 Beethoven Piano Concertos in the Icon box, 3, 4 & 5.

I do not have his Icon box but should have bought it when it was inexpensive.

18. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

One of the few times there was an excellent connection between Jazz and Classical Music.

[​IMG]

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just finished listening to audio samples from this set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Runicen and bluemooze like this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Quite a wild ride!

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

What are you looking for? I can try to help via the pics from the ebay seller I got the set from, or you can just hold out till I actually get the set.

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'm on vacation in the southwest and this weekend I've been listening to the local classical radio station. Heard from Bach's cousin (Bernard?), Mozart's dad and the youngest Mozart son. Not bad. I really liked what I heard from Bach's cousin. Couldn't write the performers/title quick enough; only scribbled down "G minor".

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "English Songs Of The Middle Ages" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 9 from "Bach: The Sacred Cantatas" on Das Alte Werk.

Harnoncourt - Cantatas BWV 26-29
    Concentus musicus Wien, Chorus Viennensis

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and Wes H like this.
  25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

J S Bach: Harpsichord Concertos for 2,3,4 Harpsichords. Koopmann, Amsterdam Baroque Orch. Philips Holland red white label

[​IMG]