Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like Sabine Lutzenberger just had a concert in Boston last month ...

Google Translate

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

Looks like Google made some changes to the youtube appearance recently, as the link no longer shows any image of the actual youtube ... :thumbsdow

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:tiphat:

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 28 from "Rafael Kubelik - The Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon."

Mahler - Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection' performed by the Chor Des Bayerischen Rundfunks and the Sinfonieorchester Des Bayerischen Rundfunks

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Wes H, ToddBD and 4 others like this.
  5. coopmv

Looks like Decca has jumped on the streaming bandwagon. But it is not clear if the dominant, new generation is into classical music altogether ...

6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The problem with this approach is that (and I'm going out on a limb here), there's probably a fair cross-section of people on this thread who don't know the "technical language of music" and whose feedback will, by necessity, come off as subjective.

Even in dealing with the technical language you're talking about, what's being discussed is more or less down to one's subjective reaction to whatever they're hearing. The question of how it's explained is more or less down to, "Can we have a discussion to boil down the 'why' of that reaction?" If the answer is "yes," then the subjective reaction is potentially of more use to others reading on.

In terms of speaking to "what is written in the score," I may again be well off-base, but I suspect the sphere of people on here who know the score in any meaningful way is smaller still than the sphere of people who know the technical language you're invoking. None of this is to be taken as "Well, people are ignorant, so leave them to it," but understand that not everyone is coming from a place of knowledge. I know I'm not.

For all of that, there's utility in my being able to come here and respond to a post regarding a piece - yes, even negatively - and having the opportunity to bash my own opinions and reactions against those of people who DO have the knowledge you're talking about - both in terms of language and the specifics of a given piece's score.

I'm sure there will be the odd eye-roll from people who recognize that I'm fumbling in the dark, but that's part of the occupational hazard of seeking out people who know more in order to learn, so I'm willing to deal with that and would suggest others do to. On the flip of that though, folks like me need some forbearance from those we're seeking to learn from.

That's really the only point I'm trying to make here as pertains to "subjective" negative feedback.

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

“jumped on the streaming bandwagon”—what a lovely oldtimey metaphor to describe something like this.

ubertrout likes this.
  8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

And classical is doing fine with the younger generation - much better than jazz in fact. For better or worse it is the future; I rarely purchase new physical media except in SACD form, otherwise I just listen on Spotify and if it's really good I'll buy it as a high-red download. More info including numbers: Classical music streaming is up. Good news, but there's plenty more to win

crispi likes this.
  9. coopmv

Even when a current production CD is only available for streaming, I can always get a used copy. It is great to have options ... :agree::righton:

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent playing and sound (Blu-ray audio).

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze and hvbias like this.
  11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

It was a gift for my wife, Dvorak's huge fan. However I like much Dvorak as well.
    I also know a rendition of the String Quartet played by Brodsky Quartet I saw live many years ago in Genoa.

ubertrout likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

This is by no means unique. For a number of years recordings have been issued either as downloadable files or on vinyl but no CD. However it has been more on the pop side since there are fewer classical recordings now. But this will be an increasing trend. I think this is why the labels have been pushing out all these large classical boxes so they can say we issued everything and now we are getting out of CDs. So I would urge fans to buy them now if you want them.

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Enjoyable enough but not essential.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. crispi

[​IMG]

Bernard Romberg
    3 Grandes Sonates op. 5

Davit Melkonyan, cello
    Mikayel Balyan, fortepiano

DEUTSCHE HARMONIA MUNDI 88883 72287 2 — (P) 2013 — in coöperation with Deutschlandfunk

Romberg was the great cellist of his day, a contemporary of Beethoven’s, and he also composed. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this music. Classical style at its best.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. crispi

[​IMG]

César Franck
    The Organ Works

Wolfgang Rübsam

BAYER RECORDS BR 100 091-93, (P) 1983/1990 — recorded at Sainte-Croix, Orléans 9/82

According to the liner notes of this 3-CD set, this is a Deutsche Grammophon recording, and Discogs seems to confirm that, but it was only ever reissued on CD by this obscure company, from what I can tell.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. crispi

[​IMG]

SCHUBERT
    Pieces for violin and piano

Isabelle Faust
    Alexander Melnikov

HARMONIA MUNDI HMC 901870, (P) 2006 — recorded at Teldex Studio Berlin 9/04

Fantastic disc.

18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think after the last go round on this topic it was generally agreed that bashing a recording that the poster owns is perfectly OK. It is also perfectly OK to say that one doesn't have any recordings of a composer or artist because of reason X. I think the main issue is Replying/quoting to a poster as opposed to simply posting such opinions. The former seems like confrontation whereas the latter is just expressing an opinion. Just my thoughts.

hvbias and Runicen like this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

20. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

In that case, I doubt I'll be purchasing it.

21. crispi

You won't purchase the CD that is not planned? :angel:

ubertrout likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree with most of what you say.
    I have been thinking about the problem that occurred a couple of months ago when there was some friction over a negative post. In my opinion, there is a right time/way and a wrong time/way to post a negative comment. In the case at hand, a person stated that they really liked a certain recording. A negative response was posted which basically said, no one around the forum and, critics do not like the conductor. IMO, that was the wrong way to open up a discussion about the recording the member liked. First of all, it puts the person who likes the recording immediately on the defensive. Also, there are a lot of implications from a negative post such as that. IMO, totally boorish and not how you enter into a discussion about the recording with the person who likes it.
    My approach would have been to ask the person what it is about the recording that they like and what they think its qualities are. So, instead of immediately taking a one-upmanship approach, try to learn something first why the person likes the recording. Just maybe, they might change your mind about the recording.
    This music can get very complex and with all of the interpretations by conductors and musicians, a broad negative comment just does not make any sense to me and serves no purpose. It does nothing to foster learning and trying to understand how others perceive the music. I am not saying, there should never be any negative comments. However, IMO, there is a right way to go about it and a one-upmanship approach is the wrong way.

hvbias and Runicen like this.
  23. crispi

[​IMG]

Claude Debussy
    Études

Walter Gieseking

EMI PATHÉ MARCONI FRANCE 2C 061-01028, (P) 1974 — reissue of mid-1950s recordings, laminated cover — «LA VOIX DE SON MAÎTRE»

24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 2. Bax, Rubbra and Rawsthorne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Wes H, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  25. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Obviously, I can’t purchase a CD that doesn’t exist. What I meant was that I’m unlikely to purchase the recording as an LP or a download. I like Hilary Hahn a lot. I’m just not an LP enthusiast and I don’t much care for downloads for classical music.

crispi and cdgenarian like this.