Classical Corner Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Listening to BRAHMS’ Symphony No. 4 as played by Wilhelm Furtwängler and his BPO in December 1943 in the Alte Philharmonie Berlin.

FLAC rip from the 22-SACD set “The Radio Recordings 1939-1945” on Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings, BPHR 180181.

I think I'm slowly starting to realise what this Furtwängler hype is all about...

hvbias, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Any cannon shots in the background? :D

3. crispi

I believe actual cannons had been phased out by then. Not unless one was playing Tchaikovsky, of course. ;)

4. coopmv

Howitzer?

IIRC, I read somewhere cannon shots could be heard in the background of some Furtwangler's wartime recordings ...

bluemooze likes this.
  5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Stravinsky: Octet; Dumbarton Oaks; Symphony in C; Symphony in Three Movements
    Philharmonia Orchestra; Twentieth Century Classics Ensemble; Orchestra of St. Luke's
    Robert Craft, conductor
    Naxos

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Mr Bass, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  6. crispi

Not cannon shots. Anti-aircraft guns.

And it wasn't Furtwängler, it was Walter Gieseking under Arthur Rother, in 1944 stereo. You can “hear the war” at 5:48.

bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I return to Farrenc's music more than just about any other composer I've discovered through the excellent CPO label. She had a greater gift for melody and composition than most "unknown" or "undiscovered" composers. Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, royzak2000 and Eigenvector like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

I like the Third the most. All are good though.

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I also love her chamber music.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Any audible ambient stereo effects? I wonder what they were thinking...

12. crispi

As I already told you, @J.A.W., they are barely noticeable.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

ibanez_ax likes this.
  14. crispi

Prompted by your post, I listened to the “Kreutzer” today, and I must say there is nothing weird that I noticed about the piano sound.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I know you told me, but it could have been more or less noticeable on individual pieces, that's why I'm asking.

16. Rose River Bear

I have not heard any of her chamber music.

17. crispi

Ah, I understand. Didn't mean to be curt. I didn't notice varying ambiance, it seems as if they made an effort to keep the box as consistent as possible sound-wise.

18. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

That Symphonie Espagnole is one of my favorites. But then, I love most of Szeryng's earlier recordings.

hvbias likes this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Her Piano Trios and Piano Quintets are excellent.

Eigenvector and Rose River Bear like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Woops, my mistake, I meant on Melnikov's recording of Shostakovich Op. 87 you were discussing a few posts earlier. I should not have quoted your post discussing that Beethoven release, I've never heard it but I have been meaning to, I like Isabelle Faust in one of those Debussy centennial discs.

I went back to listening to a handful of Scherbakov's recordings to compare, he remains my personal reference. And the more solid, weighted piano sound works in the favor of this music instead of the gentle playing from Melnikov combined with that "dream-like" recording quality. The reverberation on that Melnikov disc is not as egregious on my living room speakers.

From what I've read Shostakovich was quite headstrong in how these were supposed to be played bringing out the anger, sorrow, and humor in the works. His own recordings (I believe incomplete) are vastly different from most modern interpretations. This is why I have been really curious about Maria Yudina playing them; the way she plays WTC leads me to believe she has that swagger for Op. 87.

Yes, indeed. As I have been sampling a FLAC rip of this set I am leaning more and more towards buying this the next time it comes up at for a good deal. Listening to just snippets of lossless files made it so I was focusing on the transfers, when listening to whole symphonies or the piano concerti with Edwin Fischer it is much easier to see the big picture and appreciate the music.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    crispi likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

We had a discussion on Szeryng several months ago, we agreed on Szeryng's earlier recordings :thumbsup:

That is definitely my favorite performance of Symphonie Espagnole and AP's reissue is excellent.

HiResGeek likes this.
  22. crispi

Not sure that’s going to happen any time soon, unless BP Recordings will decide it needs to move some more of these faster. I believe it’s been at full price ever since it got released.

hvbias likes this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Lord of the strings

OK, this might not rival Bach's Art of Fugue for complexity, but it's enjoyable, well played, and wonderfully recorded.

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

layman, bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box. Warhorse Wednesday!

[​IMG]