Classical Corner Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

My grandmother bought it new and gave it to me. She "subscribed" to the DG series back in the day and the book was included upon completion of buying all (or most?) of the volumes.

One small note: Looking at mine, I see a page 276... Is yours actually 275? I also see the same painting of Beethoven (c. 1804) on page 203 -- same as yours-- so I would think your book has a page 276.

hvbias, bluemooze and crispi like this.
  2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

275 is the last numbered page on mine, there are a couple of blank pages after it.

3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

BEETHOVEN · Sonatas · Paul Lewis

...still one of my go-to sets of Beethoven sonatas, and my favourite of recent years.

layman, Wes H, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Philips Stereo Years box.

[​IMG]

hvbias and bluemooze like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I found an ad for the series (below) and see that my assumption was incorrect. After buying the first volume (the first six Symphonies), they threw in the book for free. It's also interesting to note that the original ten volume set (shown here) was later expanded to seventeen before the series ended.

[​IMG]

Obviously, this wasn't a cheap series. At $15 per volume, it would have cost $255 to buy the entire seventeen volumes back in the '70s... and that's without considering the "shipping and handling" charges, which I'm sure would add at least another $100 to the total. (Always love that ubiquitous "handling charge"... :rolleyes:)
    Compare that to the new DG "Complete Beethoven" set coming next year on CD which I think lists for $300...?
    And if I'm correct about that--and considering inflation--DG's new CD set is a relative bargain.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like the previous owner of this box was like me - played the LP box once then filed it away ... :D

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Switching gears now... playing this 1968 RCA LP of British contemporary music. Fine performances, though RCA's "Dynagroove" sonics are nothing special.

[​IMG]

Somehow I doubt it was a coincidence that all the composers and the conductor on this album have last names starting with a "B."
    Anyway, it works.

8. coopmv

[​IMG]

@crispi, Here is one of my Bach Cantatas boxes from the same era as yours. Does it look familiar to you?

Here is another one ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Dan C, bluemooze and crispi like this.
  9. coopmv

I think I should have this recording with the very talented Ms. Petibon ...

bluemooze likes this.
  10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Lord of the strings

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

According to Inflation Calculator $255 in 1970 equals around $ 1,677 today. I had a friend who bought some of the volumes. I later taped them & may still have some of the cassettes, which may or may not be playable.

Dan C, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Igor Levit's cycle should be coming out very soon (streaming will be up tomorrow), if you haven't heard his double disc of the late sonatas you might like it.

Enjoyed Prokofiev's Symphony Concerto over lunch.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

BWV 147, 181, 173

bluemooze likes this.
  15. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

16. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

One of the best recordings for S/Q in my entire collection (well over 8,000 discs) and the music is delectable too - -

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really enjoyed it. :)

18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Music of Erik Satie, nicely performed by Louis Auriacombe leading the Paris Convervatore Orchestra on this 1968 Angel LP. Includes the Debussy-orchestrated Gymnopédies 1 & 3. This is a former radio station copy with their weird filing system sticker on the jacket.

[​IMG]

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

20. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Being spun on the Naim :

[​IMG]

The Stravinsky and Prokofiev is normally outside my 'comfort zone' but I find the performances interesting.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with my disc. When I try to play the Webern and Boulez, the disc must be faulty because all I can hear is strange unpleasant noises that bear no resemblance to musical notes.

Should I get my CD player serviced ?

:hide: :D :D

bluemooze, ibanez_ax and crispi like this.
  21. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic. Released today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"In a previous review of Incidental Music by Albéric Magnard (1865-1914), I had remarked that "his harmonic writing is where he stands apart and is what forms the backbone of his music. He studied music under Massenet, D'indy and Théodore Dubois, who himself had written a strong thesis on harmony, which explains Magnard's solid grasp of the matter. Most of his works display a keen manipulation of a natural harmonic progression from start to finish, favoring an economy of gestures and loud statements, and simply letting the innate harmonic flow dictate the music's direction, but with such a solid command of form, that everything fits in a neat little package." That statement certainly holds true for his symphonic writing as well. And be they Berlioz, Debussy, Bizet or Roussel, his music sounds nothing like his French compatriots. Listening blindfolded, one would assume this to be the music of a German composer.

Albéric Magnard was a withdrawn and austere man, who didn't really care if his music "impressed" the public or not. He was more preoccupied with perfecting his highly organic treatment of harmony. Wagner and Brahms influences are most prominent in his music, but don't expect recurring motifs or memorable themes. His ideas unravel organically, one melding into the next, and may seem slightly amorphous at first, but there's a method to his madness. It's in the final denouement of each movement that everything resolves into one.

At first glance, deciphering scores like these must prove difficult for conductors as there is nothing tangible that immediately comes to the surface, but as conductor Fabrice Bollon points out; "working on the pieces with the orchestral musicians, they discovered its real secrets, having found hidden doors and successfully opened them." The members of the Freiburg Philharmonic serve the music very well."

Jean-Yves Duperron - September 2019

ALBERIC MAGNARD - Symphonies 3 and 4 - Freiburg Philharmonic Orchestra - Fabrice Bollon - Naxos - 747313408276

23. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

There have been a bunch of exciting new releases on Spotify today:

[​IMG]
    Prism II: Works by Bach, Beethoven, & Schnittke. Danish String Quartet, ECM.

[​IMG]
    Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas. Igor Levit, Sony.

Does anyone know if the late sonatas were re-recorded for this project or if he used the existing recordings?

[​IMG]
    Langgaard: Prelude to Antichrist / Strauss: An Alpine Symphony. Thomas Dausgaard / Seattle Symphony. Seattle Symphony Media.

I was at one of the concerts this recording of An Alpine Symphony was taken from!

Dan C, florandia, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Same recordings as the ones he made years ago.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.