Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Igor Levit's cycle should be coming out very soon (streaming will be up tomorrow), if you haven't heard his double disc of the late sonatas you might like it.

Enjoyed Prokofiev's Symphony Concerto over lunch.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

BWV 147, 181, 173

bluemooze likes this.
  3. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

4. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

One of the best recordings for S/Q in my entire collection (well over 8,000 discs) and the music is delectable too - -

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I really enjoyed it. :)

6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Music of Erik Satie, nicely performed by Louis Auriacombe leading the Paris Convervatore Orchestra on this 1968 Angel LP. Includes the Debussy-orchestrated Gymnopédies 1 & 3. This is a former radio station copy with their weird filing system sticker on the jacket.

[​IMG]

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

8. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Being spun on the Naim :

[​IMG]

The Stravinsky and Prokofiev is normally outside my 'comfort zone' but I find the performances interesting.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with my disc. When I try to play the Webern and Boulez, the disc must be faulty because all I can hear is strange unpleasant noises that bear no resemblance to musical notes.

Should I get my CD player serviced ?

:hide: :D :D

bluemooze, ibanez_ax and crispi like this.
  9. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic. Released today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"In a previous review of Incidental Music by Albéric Magnard (1865-1914), I had remarked that "his harmonic writing is where he stands apart and is what forms the backbone of his music. He studied music under Massenet, D'indy and Théodore Dubois, who himself had written a strong thesis on harmony, which explains Magnard's solid grasp of the matter. Most of his works display a keen manipulation of a natural harmonic progression from start to finish, favoring an economy of gestures and loud statements, and simply letting the innate harmonic flow dictate the music's direction, but with such a solid command of form, that everything fits in a neat little package." That statement certainly holds true for his symphonic writing as well. And be they Berlioz, Debussy, Bizet or Roussel, his music sounds nothing like his French compatriots. Listening blindfolded, one would assume this to be the music of a German composer.

Albéric Magnard was a withdrawn and austere man, who didn't really care if his music "impressed" the public or not. He was more preoccupied with perfecting his highly organic treatment of harmony. Wagner and Brahms influences are most prominent in his music, but don't expect recurring motifs or memorable themes. His ideas unravel organically, one melding into the next, and may seem slightly amorphous at first, but there's a method to his madness. It's in the final denouement of each movement that everything resolves into one.

At first glance, deciphering scores like these must prove difficult for conductors as there is nothing tangible that immediately comes to the surface, but as conductor Fabrice Bollon points out; "working on the pieces with the orchestral musicians, they discovered its real secrets, having found hidden doors and successfully opened them." The members of the Freiburg Philharmonic serve the music very well."

Jean-Yves Duperron - September 2019

ALBERIC MAGNARD - Symphonies 3 and 4 - Freiburg Philharmonic Orchestra - Fabrice Bollon - Naxos - 747313408276

11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

There have been a bunch of exciting new releases on Spotify today:

[​IMG]
    Prism II: Works by Bach, Beethoven, & Schnittke. Danish String Quartet, ECM.

[​IMG]
    Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas. Igor Levit, Sony.

Does anyone know if the late sonatas were re-recorded for this project or if he used the existing recordings?

[​IMG]
    Langgaard: Prelude to Antichrist / Strauss: An Alpine Symphony. Thomas Dausgaard / Seattle Symphony. Seattle Symphony Media.

I was at one of the concerts this recording of An Alpine Symphony was taken from!

Dan C, florandia, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Same recordings as the ones he made years ago.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  14. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

bluemooze and HenryFly like this.
  15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to a 1956 recording of Rimsky-Korsakov, The Tale of the Invisible City of Kitezh, performed by the Chorus and Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre conducted by Vassily Nebolsin. This performance features Natalya Rozhdestvenskaya as Fevronia. An excellent performance sometimes hampered by the age of the recording but not overly disagreeably so.

Gollum and bluemooze like this.
  16. bluemooze

Listening to CD 1 from "De Leidse Koorboeken Vol. II" performed by the Egidius Kwartet & College on Etcetera.

The Leiden Choirbooks - works by Hollander, Non Papa, Baston, Lupi, De Monte, Richafort & Verdelot

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Don't you have a second CDP as a backup?

18. coopmv

I somehow skipped over this volume and went to Vol. III ...:)

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

This series is beautiful. :)

20. bluemooze

Listening to "Machaut - Messe De Notre Dame" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on Hyperion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass and Wes H like this.
  21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening this afternoon to piano music of Joseph-Maurice Ravel performed by a very fine Ravel interpreter: Ruth Laredo.
    La Valse
    Sonatine
    Miroirs

CBS Masterworks, 1982. Produced by Andrew Kazdin.

[​IMG]

Dan C, bluemooze, florandia and 4 others like this.
  22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I just bought that very book about three weeks ago. It was remarkably cheap and in excellent condition for a volume that was published 50 years ago.
    The DGG Complete Beethoven Edition on CD came out in 1997 and it included quite a nice hardback book - but it was much smaller and in three languages while the above book is in English alone and much more lavish.
    Its large size makes the portraits and other illustrations jump off the page.

bluemooze, crispi and Wes H like this.
  23. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

An old Creek player. But when it saw the disc, it bolted it's CD drawer shut.

Maybe a bit of Ludwig can 'repair' my Naim.......

Runicen likes this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD from my Brahms collection ... :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

layman and bluemooze like this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]