Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

2. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

On dodgy turntable right now,

Jacqueline Du Pré - Daniel Barenboim - English Chamber Orchestra ‎– Haydn: Cello Concerto In C / Boccherini: Cello Concerto In B Flat

[​IMG]

3. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Primephonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Digging into my "basement tapes" I have been playing some that have no performer identification. When I made these tapes from library CDs in the 90s I recorded information in loose-leaf notebooks. I dug those out but so far I haven't been able to locate information for some of the tapes. It's an interesting experience to enjoy excellent performances & only have the tape titles like 'Byrd/The Great Service/Anthems and Motets' and 'Haydn/Paris Symphonies, Nos. 82-85.' I did check the library catalog, but had no luck there, so the CDs must have been discarded or not returned.

Runicen and bluemooze like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I just listened to this on Qobuz--it's now my favorite version of "Pictures at an Exhibition." Each "picture" is so characterful, and his virtuosity is astounding. Excellent sound, too.

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  7. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Been listening to this material tonight, albeit from within the Ansermet French Music box. I am beginning to think I would pay good money for a Lalo boxed set!

[​IMG]

ubertrout, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Never been let down by a Nonesuch record yet. They're always excellent. And also deserve praise for excellent cover art design, and superb liner notes, and Edward Tatnall Canby's one of my favorite audio and music writers.

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  9. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Nope. It's called Saga.

10. DeepFloyd11

On the TT...

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  11. HowardLive

HowardLive Forum Resident

I'll have to check this out on Spotify, then. It's a measure of the esteem in which I hold Richter's long-ago recording that I keep coming back to it, given how dire the sound quality was, even for 1958.

[​IMG]

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listened to Levit's Beethoven Piano Sonatas set again, this time to several early sonatas on (free) Spotify, and it's growing on me. His playing is certainly not unengaging, on the contrary. I'll have to hear some more, but it's a candidate for my to-buy-list. One can't have enough Beethoven Piano Sonata cycles ;)

[​IMG]

Runicen, Dan C, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am at a loss. Sony bought out Columbia and the following Sony box in my collection claims to be the Complete Sony Recordings and yet it does not have Scriabin Piano Sonatas Nos. 1 and 3 ... :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

Thanks! So this is another Russian label after Melodiya and Olympia ...

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's probably because he recorded Scriabin's Piano Sonatas for Melodiya, not Columbia, and Sony doesn't have the rights.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Saga was originally a UK label, not Russian. Their releases included licensed Russian recordings.
    Saga (5)

Olympia wasn't Russian either, it was based in the UK and also released licensed Russian recordings.
    Olympia (2)

sambamaster, Daedalus and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  17. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Just two?
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....

[​IMG]

Dan C, royzak2000, Luisboa and 4 others like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Addition to my post above about Saga and Olympia: state-owned Melodiya, the Soviet Union's record monopoly at the time, was the only label in Soviet times.

20. coopmv

@J.A.W. Thanks for pointing this out. I have noticed just about all the artists on Olympia are Russian on recordings I have come across and thereby assume it is a Russian label ...

21. coopmv

On the LP jacket, I noticed Columbia on the upper left corner and Melodiya on the lower left. Looks like Columbia had licensed the recording from Melodiya and that licensing agreement did not extend to a Sony box ...

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The licensing agreement probably expired long before the Sony box was planned.

Melodiya used to license their recordings to a myriad of Western labels, and when a license expired they sometimes licensed the recordings again to another label.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 47 from "Leonard Bernstein - The Symphony Edition" on Sony.

Schumann - Symphony No. 1 'Spring' / Symphony No. 2

[​IMG]

25. DeepFloyd11