Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Decca Analogue Years box. Includes Dvorak 7. A nice 81 minute early morning concert.

[​IMG]

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Haydn Piano Trios 31-33 on the turntable this morning. Performed by the Haydn Trio of Vienna.
    From this 5-LP Telefunken set / German / 1977

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Soulpope, Mr Bass and 4 others like this.
  3. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Schubert
    The String Quartets
    Melos Quartett

[​IMG]

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Shostakovich
    Ballet Suite No. 5 from “The Bolt", Op. 27a
    Chailly
    The Philadelphia Orchestra

[​IMG]

Gollum and bluemooze like this.
  5. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Ligeti is one of my favorites from the last half of the 20th Century (post-WWII as I often call it). I would really try and seek out The Ligeti Project on Warner and the newly reissued Masterworks set on Sony. Both of these sets will provide you with all of the Ligeti you need. I suppose if you want Ligeti overkill, you could buy the DG set, Clear or Cloudy. Of course, I own all of the Warner, Sony, and DG recordings. ;)

Monteux’s performance of the Sibelius 2nd is still a favorite of mine. Such a powerful performance that it makes me wish he’d done the whole cycle.

wolfram and ibanez_ax like this.
  7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to the complete Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky. Gennady Rozhdestvensky / Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra.
    This is a Melodiya (Angel) 3-LP box set -- not dated, but I think the recording was made around '68.
    The box photo is not really reddish; it's black, but difficult to photograph on this dark, rainy day.

[​IMG]

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

His Dvorak on this CD 7 is a great, lively performance.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Cesena: Songs For Popes, Princes and Mercenaries (c. 1400)" performed by Graindelavoix on Glossa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Excellent choice! I presume that is the CD version of my 4-LP box set (released in 1977):

[​IMG]

I don't know if your set comes with liner notes and photos, but the booklet in the LP set shows these guys in the very-'70s casual garb. Quite a contrast to their tuxedo cover shot:

[​IMG]

Dan C, Klavier, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Me either. I enjoyed the first disc. But there isn't a whole lot of romantic piano music I care to listen to unless it's the more subdued, meditative stuff.

vanhooserd likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I fully agree! I have it on this 1961 RCA "Living Stereo" (shaded dog) LP.
    (This is before the renumbering, when Dvorak's No.7 was still referred to as "No.2")

[​IMG]

13. bluemooze

First listen to CDs 15-16 from "Charles Munch - The Complete RCA Album Collection" on Sony.

Berlioz - The Damnation Of Faust Boston Symphony Orchestra

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gollum, ibanez_ax, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  14. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

My father was AB Harvard 1952, LLB Harvard Law 1955 (but not gleefully) and my mother was AB Radcliffe 1954 (though not chorally) when this album was made. My father played piano as one of those college boy things (we have photos) but is now an old-time fiddler and banjo player.
    My father was just 22 and mother 21 when this was released. They got married in 1955. I doubt they took in anything like Damnation of Faust, ever.
    Me? I went to Boston University; my musical tastes are of my generation but have come around to classical lately.

Thank you for posting this @bluemooze - these photos gave me pleasure.

15. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I don't know if they're the same version, but my liner notes has a different black and white photo, this one:

[​IMG]

But the image you posted is on the cover of Brahms' String Quartets op. 67 and op. 51 also on Deutsche Grammophon:
    Johannes Brahms, Melos Quartett Stuttgart* - Streichquartette - String Quartets: B-Dur (In B-Flat Major) Op. 67; C-Moll (In C Minor) Op. 51 Nr. 1

16. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Now listening to the eClassical daily download:
    [​IMG]
    Kalevi Aho: Ludus Solemnis -- Music for and with Organ. Jan Lehtola, Petri Komulainen, Jussi Vuorinen, Kaija Saarikettu, & Anna-Kaisa Pippuri. BIS

17. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

A Tuesday diggin’ at my local store: Arnold Schoenberg - Symphony Orchestra Of Southwest German Radio, Baden-Baden, Jascha Horenstein ‎– Verklärte Nacht, Op. 4 ∙ Chamber Symphony Op. 9

[​IMG]

edit: It came with the poem :goodie:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Snowing hard here in Virginia for the past hour... Nice big flakes, too. Makes me think about playing more Tchaikovsky, so I reached for this 1967 London Phase 4 album to hear maestro Stokowski's rendition of the Symphony No.5 with the New Philharmonia Orchestra.

[​IMG]

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have this LP box set. A very colorful musical journey.

Wes H likes this.
  21. bluemooze

Listening to CD 21 from "Aldo Ciccolini - Enregistrements EMI 1950-1991" on EMI.

Debussy - Suite bergamasque / Pour le piano / 2 Arabesques / Ballade
    Saint-Saens - Etude en forme de vaise Op. 52 No. 6 / Six etudes pour la main gauche seule Op. 135

[​IMG]

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Listening to my other new arrival: Vivaldi's Stabat Mater and other works by Pergolesi and Bach. Beautiful music and only €5.99 for the SACD. Quite a contrast to the Ligeti disc. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm tempted, since both sets can be had for very reasonable prices.

Mirror Image likes this.
  25. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

I love this box...not halfway through because I keep repeat listening to a select handful which are astonishingly satisfying...looking forward to making more progress soon...