Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

A little late night counterpoint with which to wind down. Gorgeous music with wonderful playing and audio quality.
    [​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I too, have this SACD in my Purcell collection ...

Klavier likes this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I didn’t have a chance to look at it yet, but I will. Thanks for the reminder.

Thread duty -

Elgar
    Symphony No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 63
    Davis
    Philharmonia Orchestra

[​IMG]

This is one of the best performances of the 2nd on record, IMHO. It’s a live recording and there’s an energy that simply isn’t found in Davis’ earlier account on Warner.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am a huge fan of Scriabin's piano sonatas, particularly the middle and late sonatas. IMHO I have personally not found anyone to be really consistently excellent with Scriabin besides Sofronitsky, Richter and Horowitz who seemed to pretty much always record great Scriabin.

Finished Bartok's first violin sonata (Richter with Oistrakh), recording from 1972 from the Melodiya Anniversary box. And coming up Schubert D537, Andrea Lucchesini.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bluemooze and Mirror Image like this.
  5. Mirror Image

FWIW, this is my favorite set of Scriabin sonatas:

[​IMG]

No one captures the darkness and brooding quality of these sonatas better than Ruth Laredo, IMHO.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The U.K. issue had the six LPs in a single box. Interestingly, the sides here are labeled 9-12. Recorded 9/74, Kingsway Hall, London. Producer: Christopher Raeburn. Engineer: Philip Wade. Issued 7/77.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I personally think that Richter and Sofronitsky can :) Horowitz is maybe a bit more colorful tonally and refined.

I will have to revisit that Laredo cycle, I thought she was not that technically sound in some of the more difficult passages and played a bit heavy on the pedals with some mistakes that weren't edited. I do think they are nice interpretations and for my tastes I'll take these sort of less than technically perfect interpretations over ones that are meticulously played but lack some of the cataclysm, mystery and darkness.

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I have often been disappointed by the mono versions of Living Stereo LPs, but this sounds pretty good. It would be nice to have a stereo copy, but in the meantime I played this one twice. The Ravel is one of my favorites & the d'Indy is growing on me. The pianist was Munch's niece & they recorded the Ravel three times. Recorded 3/24/58, Symphony Hall, Boston. Producer: Richard Mohr. Engineer: Lewis Layton. Issued 1959.

ibanez_ax, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have all three (London) volumes of these and agree about the odd labeling. It is made more confusing because the inserts (liner notes) in each volume refer to "sides 1-4," yet only the records in the first volume are labeled as such. I can only think that the record labels were numbered that way with the original intent of putting them all in a single box (as Decca did for the UK release).

sambamaster and vanhooserd like this.
  10. Mirror Image

She may not be as technically proficient as Richter or Sofronitsky, but I’m not looking for technical perfection, I’m listening for a performance that moves me and she’s the only pianist I’ve heard in Scriabin’s sonatas that has done this for me. I think one of the biggest problems with many classical listeners is they looking for performances that are ‘perfect’ or that are without flaws, but the reality is there are none.

11. Mirror Image

Pettersson
    Symphony No. 7
    Segerstam
    Norrköping SO

[​IMG]

The middle trilogy of Pettersson symphonies: 6, 7, & 8 are, for me, the pinnacle of his symphonic output. I think there’s too much of a sameness in the later symphonies and they really do wear me down with their persistent onslaughts of doom and gloom with no relief. It’s not that I don’t like darker hued music, it’s just that I feel a piece of music shouldn’t be tied down to single mood or emotion --- there should be a wider palette explored. I get that Pettersson’s life wasn’t a good one, but why make your listeners suffer for it? This is why I like the afore mentioned symphonies from him because of the myriad of emotions that are explored.

hvbias, ibanez_ax, royzak2000 and 2 others like this.
  12. Mirror Image

Prokofiev
    Le pas d’acier, Op. 41
    Rozhdestvensky
    USSR Ministry Of Culture SO

[​IMG]

hvbias, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Whenever people listen to my stereo the first thing they say is Turn It Up. :)

ibanez_ax and sambamaster like this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to this '60s DGG record of Rostropovich performing the Schumann Cello Concerto and Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations.
    Rozhdestvensky conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra.

[​IMG]

15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

FWIW I find Ormandy very good in Russian and Scandinavian works. Of course Finland was part of Russia. I have Sym 1, 4 and 7 of his Sibelius.

Wes H and vanhooserd like this.
  16. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Hot off the presses from Naïve , the newest Vivaldi Edition release - -

[​IMG]

17. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Now listening on Spotify (new),

[​IMG]

The Peace Concert Versailles
    Yuja Wang

Choeur De Radio France, Wiener Philharmoniker, Franz Welser-Möst

bluemooze likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Actually, the box pictured was released in 2015. The Decca Analogue Years box was released in 2013 and makes no claims about being mastered from the original tapes.

Mr Bass likes this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

We are on the same page, I am definitely not one of those people that wants technical perfection at the expense of a moving interpretation. I listen to classical only for my own pleasure and even enjoy dozens of performances that some find take too many interpretive liberties. For instance one of the better Beethoven piano sonata cycles I heard last year was Russell Sherman's when one piano critic brutally slammed one of the discs in the series and while I can see one or two of his complaints I felt his criticism missed the bigger picture in what Sherman was doing (easy to do when you don't listen to the full cycle). Another is I really like many of Celibidache's Bruckner symphonies while others in this thread find them terrible due to the tempi. I suppose my main issue is knowing some of the things that pianists can do to make difficult sections more manageable, and when it is done continuously (to me) it highlights problems. But exceptional complete Scriabin cycles are in very, very short supply. I am almost certain I would enjoy Ruth Laredo the next time I listened to her and emphasis on how much importance I place on all the subjective qualities you highlighted. With Scriabin's music there is also that aspect of synesthesia that he had in mind while composing them, I feel to really achieve these kind of colors (where I feel Horowitz really shone) is in clever/appropriate use of the pedals.

22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Are some of you listeners accomplished pianists or score readers who can notice a mistake in a Scriabin sonata? I also have Laredo's set which I enjoy.

23. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

My copy is scheduled to be delivered next week. Looking forward to it. I love this series!

andolink likes this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

A much needed three day weekend here, I ordered the Japan SACD of Richter's Salzburg recording of WTC. Hard to say without the set in front of me, I believe this was mastered by the same person that did the Eurodisc Recordings box set. I also have the original 80s CD, so a comparison will be in order..

The conversation part of the thread, had this album cranked up last night, an old favorite:

[​IMG]

I've been listening to Mosaiques recordings of Haydn's String Quartets, they are exceptional performances.

bluemooze, Mr Bass, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  25. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Listening again to this CD (I have the EMI labelled version)
    Dvořák
    Symphony No. 9, Cello Concerto
    Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, Pappano
    Mario Brunello

[​IMG]

I attended the concert when Symphony No.9 was recorded and it was such a magnificent performance that I was left with a sense of wonder difficult to put into word.
    Sadly though, the EMI engineers failed to transfer all the emotions in the recording. The sound is messy and sometimes flat, with a lot of background noise (coming from orchestra members and Pappano himself, not the public). It was poorly registered and mixed. A pity, because this could have been a very fine performance, not setting new standards, but very fine indeed.
    The Cello Concerto is certainly better recorded than the symphony although it has its flaws.

bluemooze, DeepFloyd11 and royzak2000 like this.