Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

I believe this is Vladimir Ashkenazy’s first recording. From 1957, recorded in Berlin.
    [​IMG]

Dan C, DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No matter, the box below will do for Walter's Beethoven 6th since I already have his Beethoven, Brahms and Mozart Symphonies boxes and will skip his latest big box ...

[​IMG]

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I enjoyed the first two Symphonies & the Serenade, but didn't make it through Kaddish; the melodramatic speaking part was too much for me. Recorded in Berlin, 1977 (Sym 1 & 2), Mainz, 1977 (Sym 3) and Tel Aviv, 1978 (Serenade). 2-CD set.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yes. It is my favorite Pastoral. Hands down. It is one of my favorite symphonic recordings of all time.

Edit-This is the version I have.
    [​IMG]

DeepFloyd11, hvbias, layman and 2 others like this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Took a chance on this one and enjoying it a lot on first listen. Rosenmuller had quite the life(prolific composing career in mid 17th century Germany only to be derailed by pedophile accusations, which put him in prison, which he subsequently escaped from, going to Venice and rebuilding his career to eventually hold the post of composer at the same school that would employ Vivaldi decades later).

This album is 4 sacred cantatas, and three chamber sonatas performed by baroque string band ACRONYM(Adventurous Curators of Rosenmuller's Ouevre Not Yet Minted). According to the liner notes, they are "dedicated to giving modern premieres of the wild instrumental music of the seventeenth century". Joining them on this album is baritone Jesse Blumberg.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and andolink like this.
  6. coopmv

I need to find time to re-listen to my Bohm Beethoven Symphonies box. I like his 9th and know it reasonably well. Perhaps his Beethoven 6th is @DeepFloyd11 favorite as well? ;)

I only have the redbook 6th while you have the SACD, the sonic difference could be quite big here.

HowardLive likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think I paid around $50 for that SACD but it was worth it. The strings especially sound much better on the SACD. I have quite a few of the Esoteric SACDs. They go with my Esoteric player. :D

bluemooze likes this.
  8. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listened through the first snippet (No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13, "Pathétique": III. Rondo) from the upcoming set.

I was worried that it would be at a machine-gun speed, a la Gould, but it turned out to be Brendel-like. (Oh geez, I'm really inarticulate when it comes to describing music...)

And if you're familiar with Fazıl's earlier approach to "Waldstein", you'll understand why I was happily surprised!

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I placed an order for the Dutton Vocalion SACD of Franz Waxman Sunset Boulevard. It seems it will take a few weeks for delivery. It is my very first order of D-V SACD.
    [​IMG]
    Have you listened to any D-V SACD conducted by Charles Gerhardt?

bluemooze likes this.
  10. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

This was posted here a few weeks ago; I'm enjoying it this morning. It is a 2-disc program of chamber works most of which feature clarinet, basset horn, and/or voice, most of which I haven't heard before. It also has excellent performances of the Kegelstatt trio and the piano sonata for 4 hands K 521:
    [​IMG]
    Mozart: Une Soirée chez les Jacquin. Gilles Thomé, Ensemble 415, Chiara Banchini, etc. Zig-zag Territoires.

Eigenvector, hvbias and bluemooze like this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Dufay - Chansons" performed by Tetraktys on Olive Music.

Jill Feldman (soprano), Kees Boeke (vielle, flutes), Maria Christina Cleary (harpe) and Jane Achtman (vielle)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector, cdgenarian and canzld like this.
  13. bluemooze

I enjoyed listening to it but I would first listen to the recordings/performers that @coopmv mentioned to get a better overview of Purcell. :)

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Symphony #3.

[​IMG]

15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Purchased on Discogs. Arrived on Monday. It is become hard to find unlike of the other Brahms symphonies conducted by Abbado with Berliner.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

First listen to CD 58 from "Deutsche Harmonia Mundi: 100 Great Recordings"

Festliche Opernsuiten in Versailles performed by the Collegium Aureum.

Jean-Philippe Rameau - Les Indes Galantes / Dardanus

[​IMG]

cdgenarian likes this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Well a disappointing purchase with that Woodward Debussy Preludes. I feel it is ok to be critical here as I don't think I've ever seen anyone play this. I was not going to write anything about it but someone quoted me on GMG asking about it so I'll copy and paste what I wrote.

The only two I know well (played many times) are his recordings of WTC and Op. 87 Preludes and Fugues, I was pretty engaged by both of them for different reasons [in regards to answering something about Roger Woodward in general]. Op. 87 may not bring out the various emotions of the piece as well as Scherbakov but it offered me many nice insights.

I'm not entirely enthusiastic about this Debussy set. Usually I glean something from his interpretations, I didn't get any of that here. I don't mind cool in the Preludes (for reference Michelangeli's DG recordings are at the very top of my favorites) but here Woodward just sounds detached, and it's not really that interesting. There are a handful of interesting moments like the left hand trills in Le Vent Dans La Plaine. Ah well, it's been some time since I've heard a new to me set of Preludes that really grabbed me, I was hoping this would scratch the itch. My gut feeling is I won't change my mind on it with repeat listens. It's available on Spotify, I would have normally streamed it first but I was adding a pile of CDs from this seller and this was pretty cheap.

Did you end up getting that Russell Sherman disc of Images, Estampes Book II and Preludes Book II? Those were such interesting interpretations that really spoke to me, the rubato and ritarandos in all the right places and he never lost the forward momentum of the music creating quite the interesting set, particularly in Images.

-----
    Last night's listening was these exceptional performances of Beethoven's Symphony 3 and 5 from the Walter box, this is the earlier 1941 recording, I'm going to listen to it again now. I have also read some more of the book from the box, it's really nice with loads of details, pictures and many photos of take sheets.

I'm pretty confident that like the recent Szell remasters (which my friends and I compared against many LPs) these Walter remasters will also be a significant improvement in sound quality over the vinyl or older CDs.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  18. coopmv

I have owned this box by Ashy for a long time. I also have the following 3 boxes. Any opinions on how the other three boxes stacked up against Ashy's Rachy 3 Symphonies @J.A.W. ? I have never done any A/B listening tests on these works ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. gardibolt

gardibolt Forum Resident

Yeah, I assembled my Koopman set with some new/some used copies of the old editions (with the very substantial booklets) and I don't think I spent over $120 all told. But it's good that it's being rereleased as a less-expensive item that would like to have it all in a box like this.

20. coopmv

But have you been able to assemble all his Bach Cantatas recordings? I have found this project to be quite arduous ...

I gave up on assembling the Complete Bach Organ Works by Marie-Claire Alain one CD at a time after a while and ended up getting the boxes for her second and third cycle ...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

22. coopmv

This may be the best version of the three Sibelius cycles Sir Colin recorded. I have them on 2 Philips DUO's ...

23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I had the Duo set back in the day. I agree about this being Davis' best Sibelius.

24. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

Listening to "Schubert - Quintette A Deux Violoncelles" performed by Anne Gastinel and Quatuor Diotima on Naïve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]