Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

DeepFloyd11, Runicen and ubertrout like this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

ubertrout likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Very strongly :agree:

4. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

[​IMG]

Hadn't heard of him until recently. His work is interesting post-Schoenberg modernism. One track features what he calls a "sprechchor", basically a speaking choir. Bits of it kind of remind me of Stimmung by Stockhausen.

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  5. gardibolt

gardibolt Forum Resident

Yes, I took over what looked to me like someone else's failed attempt (about 36 of the CDs accumulated) for next to nothing and then filled in the holes to make it complete.

I started doing the same for Koopman's Bach organ works, but there's just too much of that material (the endless chorales in particular) that really holds no interest for me so I gave up on that one.

6. coopmv

No doubt you had a lucky break. To start out with 36 CD's out of 67 was critical of your eventually being successful. I was able to collect all 11 volumes of Pachelbel Organ Works by Joseph Payne on Centaur over 2 orders with the now defunct Qualiton Imports. It may be very difficult if not impossible to put together this set nowadays ...

gardibolt likes this.
  7. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I 16-24 & Book II 1-3 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great performances of the Schumann Symphonies. I have them on the old Sony SACDs.
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass, hvbias, layman and 3 others like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Spinning one of my favorite La Mer's out there.
    [​IMG]

10. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I got my audio system unpacked and set up (a high priority!), and it sounds even better in the new room, which is bigger and has vaulted ceilings. I inaugurated it with a favorite recording.

[​IMG]

11. Rose River Bear

Has anyone brought out the titanic rage in the Hammerklavier Fugue section like Pollini did on that recording? IMO no.

Wugged, HiResGeek, HowardLive and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

We go round and round on etiquette, but I thought that we all agreed that it is Always OK to criticize one's own albums without apology.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to audio samples from this (unfortunately OOP) set:

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ibanez_ax, Klavier and 3 others like this.
  14. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Not that I have heard. I've heard some banged out more mercilessly, but it was just ugly: Pollini's remains musical.

By the way, I meant "ceiling" in my previous post. My audio room (at one time a living room and dining room combined) has just one ceiling :)

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Wish I could get the box.

16. Rose River Bear

17. coopmv

Do you have Pollini's Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycle? I don't though I hesitate to add since I already have 14 cycles ...

18. coopmv

At GP's suggestion, I added the following box to my piano collection a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm watching the 2019 UK General Election on the BBC (discussing it is not allowed here, of course :)) and at the same time trying to decide whether or not to get the Rudolf Kempe Brahms Symphonies set that was released by Testament, or Witold Małcużyński's Icon set. Hmmm.

Soulpope likes this.
  20. Rose River Bear

I have followed his advice a few times myself.

21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Another wonderful analog recording. This is all I have time for today.
    [​IMG]

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have the Kempe’s set (with Berlin Philharmonic) and like it.

layman likes this.
  23. coopmv

I have thoroughly enjoyed that Witold Małcużyński Icon box I bought a few years ago as he really brought the tenderness and special touch to his Chopin performance. I surmise the UK election outcome may cost me a little more when I buy from Presto. All in all, I still come out a winner since my investment portfolios have big exposure to the UK market ...

Don't know much about the Brahms Symphonies box by Kempe but I do have his Wagner Lohengrin box

[​IMG]

layman and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Although I would not go as far as considering Gunter Wand's Beethoven Symphonies as the best out there. I consider it a decent Beethoven cycle, which I have as well. We are have different tastes ...

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Congrats! I learned a while ago that there is no replacement to a very large listening room for truly reference level sound quality, the room is just as important as the speakers.

Going forward this is good to know, a lot of that discussion looked out of context to me and my memory for these sort of things isn't the best :) I stream/sample things first before buying them which is why majority of my posts aren't really that negative, I just choose not to post about the many bad performances/ones I don't like.

HowardLive, Mr Bass and Klavier like this.