Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I never found Guaraldi's playing interesting, and soul jazz is not really my thing (although I love Cannonball Adderley's Riverside recordings that tend toward soul jazz), let alone its pop side. Oscar Peterson's style isn't my thing either, you got that right :)

2. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

[​IMG]

CD 2: …quasi una fantasia… / Double Concerto / Samuel Beckett: What is the Word

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning on the TT:[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Wes H, Luisboa and 3 others like this.
  4. Daedalus

I am not an expert but I have owned and used various tube amps and preamps over the years. If the power tubes are not over driven by the amp design they should be last for several years of steady use. Pre-amp tubes will last last relatively for much more years of steady use. I had EL 34 tubes with 5000 plus hours without failure or noticeable degradation and more hours with pre-amps. I currently use a Quicksilver Audio Integrated amp( in rotation with a Yamaha and Denon) which uses 8 EL84 tubes outputting very low wattage. These tubes are not being stressed to put out too much power so they should enjoy long operating life( barring a random bad tube of course).

ggjjr, CMT and bluemooze like this.
  5. Daedalus

Someone correct me if I am wrong-I think Artia were the pick of the litter recordings of Supraphon?

6. Daedalus

You have a great neighborhood then! ( I would love to run into these LP treasures).

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD. Number 8 of course.

[​IMG]

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My 2 cents.

60% Classical
    20% Rock/Pop
    20% Jazz (unless Sinatra, etc. are considered pop, then this percentage changes)

bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  9. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

For me, it depends on what time in my life we are talking about.

As a child, through college years it would have been 90% rock/pop, 6% Jazz, 4% Classical

Age 25-45: 80%Jazz, 10% rock/Pop, 10% Classical

Age 46-Present: 75% Classical, 20% Jazz, 5% Classic Rock/Pop

CMT, bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Classical music fans - is this story true?

The conductress said that Tchaikovsky (who died in 1893) invited the composer Anton Arensky (1861-1906) to visit him for supper. They lived in the same apartment building, he lived on the first floor and Arensky on the 14 th floor. She said nothing about a date (year)

If this was in Moscow, would there have been elevators and high rises at whatever date this could have been (before 1894 is all I can surmise :))

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 2 from "Die Grossen Minnesanger" on Christophorus.

Neidhart von Reuental - Von hehren Frauen & trupen Tolpeln performed by Ensemble fur fruhe musik Augsburg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The relatively short lifespan of a power tube is a major discouraging factor for me ...

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Excellent box and I enjoyed it ...

bluemooze likes this.
  14. bluemooze

On the turntable, "Monteverdi's Contemporaries" performed by The Early Music Consort Of London led by David Munrow on Angel.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable-- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5. Karl Böhm / London Symphony Orchestra
    Recorded at St. John's, Smith Square, June 1980.

DG LP / German press / 1981

[​IMG]

mdekoning, canzld, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Maybe they had "pick of the litter"... never considered that, but it could be true. I'd noticed that Artia released a lot of Supraphon's recordings and they had similar logos (lions), so I always thought they had some business connection.

Daedalus likes this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

My experience has been similar to what @Daedalus posted. Pre-amp tubes last indefinitely; power tubes will last for several years if properly biased in a well-designed amp. My main music system is powered by a Cayin KT88 integrated tube amp. The last time I changed a power tube was in 2011.

If you really appreciate a great tube amp, then the effort to occasionally swap out a tube is relatively minor.

My amp:
    [​IMG]

ggjjr, Klavier, Artur Torres and 5 others like this.
  18. Daedalus

I did a little research-Artia may have been the export label for US consumption of Supraphon records. They seemed to be a little more fancy-gatefold cover, attached extensive notes, etc.

Wes H likes this.
  19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I go through "phases" where I listen to nothing but Classical for weeks, then I get into a "Jazz phase" and will spend a week with just Jazz. Then maybe a day or two of Rock. It's hard to put a percentage on it, but I'd say 90% classical overall.

vanhooserd, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  20. Daedalus

Re: our discussion/comment on Simon Rattle-this is one box set I have with his conducting ( along with a small number of singles). Spinning today at the office.[​IMG]

21. bluemooze

First listen to (and first play of - previously SS) "Glinka - A Life For The Tsar" performed by The soloists and Orchestra of the National Opera Belgrade directed by Oscar Danon on London.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld, royzak2000 and Eigenvector like this.
  22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Yes, all of the Artia recordings I have come in rather fancy jackets.

23. Daedalus

How do like this performance? I have the Ermler and Melik-Pashaev versions.

24. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Seems unlikely as the first skyscraper in Moscow was an 8-storey building in the early 1900s.... (According to Wikipedia) "Moscow was first introduced to a 'skyscraper' when in 1904-1905 the 8-storey Afremov House (Sadovaya-Spasskaya, 19/1) was built."

John B Good and bluemooze like this.
  25. bluemooze

The performance sounds great to me. I have never heard any other recordings. :)