Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It appears Bohm never made many Tchaikovsky recordings ...

2. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Listening to these two new harmonia mundi releases on streaming this morning:

[​IMG]
    Schoenberg: Violin Concerto & Verklärte Nacht. Isabelle Faust; Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Harding. harmonia mundi

[​IMG]
    Mozart: Symphonies Nos. 39, 40 & 41 'Jupiter'. Ensemble Resonanz, Riccardo Minasi. harmonia mundi

3. coopmv

Is Serbian Army Chorus now the successor to the Yugoslav Army Chorus since Yugoslavia is no more? :D

bluemooze likes this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks. It did sound unlikely, but she was deadpan when she told it to the audience.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I had a PrimaLuna amp that lost a pre-amp tube within a few months, then a year or so later a power tube blew. At that point, I sold it and bought a McIntosh MA 9000 and haven't looked back!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Pretty pictures :)

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Terrific. I will check this version out. I have collected a fair amount of Russian opera titles over the years-with different performances of each title as I have been able to find them ( many LP sets). I tend to favor the late 40’s/early 50’s performances for the beauty of the singing of the Bolshoi performers. But I still like 60s/70s. And I prefer the old Bolshoi over the newer Gergiev( at Kirov) but the sound recordings of the Philips series are superior of course. Highly subjective I will admit.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm not a big Peterson fan either. Certainly I'd rather listen to Guaraldi. Recently my favorite has been Red Garland.

ando here likes this.
  9. coopmv

According to google search ...

The world's first skyscraper was the Home Insurance Building in Chicago, erected in 1884-1885. The so-called “Father of the Skyscraper” towered all of 10 stories with its peak at 138 feet, miniature by today's standards but gargantuan at that time.

CMT likes this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have several favourites, including Thelonious Monk, Herbie Nichols, Sonny Clark (though not in a trio setting, he sounds more at home in an accompanying role), Wynton Kelly and Bill Evans, and quite a few more.

Maltman, crispi, layman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

The Reiner Sound

Arranger: Hector Berlioz
    Associated Performer: Chicago Symphony Orchestra

℗ Originally Recorded Prior to 1958 All Rights Reserved by BMG Music​

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm enjoying this new release. The piano's tone is a little bright/thin, but it's still very good, and his playing is great. If you liked the first volume, then don't hesitate to get this one.

[​IMG]

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Will be hearing E-P Salonen live tonight conducting the San Francisco Symphony in his own Violin Concerto with Leila Josefowicz as the soloist. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Outstanding!

bluemooze likes this.
  16. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

When I was in my teens and twenties I was 95% hard, classic rock. In my thirties I got heavily into jazz for a couple years, and was probably listening to 75% jazz and 25% rock. Now for about the last 5 years I have gotten big into classical, and am now probably 75% classical, 20% rock, and 5% jazz. Since I got big into classical, jazz has for some reason lost a lot of its appeal for me.

17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Now I'm checking out these, which popped up on streaming and download services today:

[​IMG]
    Beethoven: String Quartets. Koeckert Quartet. DG

Martinu, Daedalus, mdekoning and 3 others like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Barber collection that I mentioned, recorded 1986, 1988 & 1994. The orchestral recordings were produced by Joanna Nickrenz & engineered by Marc Aubort or William Hoekstra. They sound great, as do the other recordings.

Dan C, Daedalus, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Small-scale music from another American composer, who was also an important music critic. Like Virgil Thomson, Tommasini is also a well-known music critic. Produced by Scott Wheeler & Tommasini. Recording & technical direction: Scott Kent. Extra points for the dynamic & flattering cover photo.

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  20. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

[​IMG]

Wagner: Lohengrin - Arranged for Wind Ensemble by Lucien Cailliet - Act 3 - Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral · Eastman Wind Ensemble · Frederick Fennell
    Sullivan: Pineapple Poll Suite; Rossini-Respighi: La boutique fantasque; Gounod: Faust Ballet Music; Wagner: Lohengrin & Das Rheingold

℗ 1960 Universal International Music B.V. ​

Dan C, Daedalus, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  21. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Oliveira is a violinist I've only recently become aware of. Not long ago I acquired this:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, royzak2000 and vanhooserd like this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I only listened to the Piano Concerto--didn't do much for me. It's quite accessible but none of the writing grabbed me.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

Wasn't this the same Scott Wheeler who participated in the Classical Music Corner thread a few years ago?

bluemooze likes this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Copland is one of my favorite 20th Century composers. Recordings made 1968-85. Compilation from 1996.

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Music of Benjamin Britten on the turntable: Young Apollo (Piano quartet) Op.16; Canadian Carnival, Op.19; Four French Songs; and Scottish Ballad for two pianos and orchestra, Op.26.
    Simon Rattle / City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.

EMI LP / German press / 1982.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upcoming EMI releases... 37 years ago. (Brochure that came with the LP)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan C, layman, Daedalus and 5 others like this.