Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following LP, same conductor, same orchestra, same record label (now defunct) but different work bought in the mid to late 70's ...

[​IMG]

3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

And the same series "The Da Camera Library of Baroque Masterpieces". Seems to have been an active label from the 70s into the the early 90s. Mine is dated 1977. Can't remember when or where I bought this, though. Engineered by one Sergio Marcotulli, but not much other information about the recording.

4. coopmv

Nicolas Flagello - Wikipedia

bluemooze and CMT like this.
  5. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Thanks. Interesting. I wonder if anyone on the forum here has heard anything of Flagello, the composer's, music?

Really impressed by the sound quality of mine. Is yours very well recorded too? Haven't heard this in decades and today was the first time on the new(er) sound system. Very pleasurable.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  6. coopmv

The recording itself is quite good but the press quality of the LP is nothing to write home about. It is in the same league as the Columbia and RCA LP's of that era ...

CMT likes this.
  7. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Sticking with Vivaldi for a bit. I really like the design of this cover. It's a shame that all copies I've ever seen suffer from the same fairly severe foxing around the edges, but acid-free paper wasn't much of a thing at the time (this was in my father's collection and probably purchased new when it came out, in 1953). Happily, this one survived the period when our cat thought the record collection made an excellent scratching post.

[​IMG]

canzld, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Just came across this cover on Discogs:

[​IMG]

Wow. Festival of Hits. :faint::faint::faint:

Runicen, canzld, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I get my LPs (and CDs) here from stores that sell used items; I've had very little luck at thrift stores & hardly ever go to one. The 45-cent records come from a big place that deals mainly in books, plus CDs, DVDs, LPs, games, etc. The other places are the same but not nearly as book-oriented. One is a big comics seller & also deals in action figures & other collectables.

CMT likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Does it have the helicopter piece? :)

12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Flagello was a Neo-Romantic with an interesting compositional style. I own several recordings of his music. I’d say he’s worth checking out, especially if you like American composers around this time like Barber and Copland for example.

CMT likes this.
  13. coopmv

Did not even know Arrau had actually recorded Bach Partitas. Now playing CD72 - Bach Partitias Nos 1 & 2 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Speaking of Copland....

[​IMG]

15. broos

broos Senior Member

I have had some similiar experience, although it was our dog as a puppy thinking "Wow i have teeth".
    [​IMG]

Luckily the record itself survived and plays perfect.

bluemooze, vanhooserd and CMT like this.
  16. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Lol. That's pretty bad. Our cat never chewed on the records, just liked the edges in the upright rows to sharpen his claws on, so the spines are shredded on some of those I have from back then. This one looks like your dog actually tried to eat the thing!

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Cats seem to be fond of record sleeves. My then-girlfriend's cat loved to sharpen his claws on the spines of part of my record collection, back in the 1980s. Fortunately, it didn't do any damage to the records inside. Turned out it hadn't devalued the collection either when I sold it in 1995.

CMT likes this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Happily, our current kitties have not discovered the pleasure and don't seem inclined to.

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

My kitties have never chewed on any LPs, but they have chewed through the cable on two sets of headphones, one of which cost $250 to replace! (My Sennheiser HD800S.)

[​IMG]

crispi, canzld, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I dug this out of storage to listen to and re-evaluate. I have been thinking about buying the Pletnev SACD on Pentatone.

canzld and ToddBD like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am not familiar with her recordings but a check shows that her CDs are hard to find and some LPs command very high prices. She seems to be highly regarded.

MC Rag likes this.
  22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I read somewhere that the other two he recorded, #90 and #91, were on a DG Japan release, and are hard to find in the states.

23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have the following CD from this "series"...like it very much.
    [​IMG]

24. coopmv

I buy from UK based etailers often but hesitate to buy from Japan. I believe Tower Records in Japan handles international sales. While I used to buy many recordings from the Tower Records B&M stores in the greater NY area, buying from Japan is quite different ...

Who knows, maybe Haydn 90 & 91 by Bohm will eventually be released on Decca Eloquence, the DG Australian label.

ToddBD and sherrill50 like this.
  25. coopmv

I bought Jansons Tchaikovsky box in 2012 ...

[​IMG]