Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

DG has been issuing several recordings from the Verbier Festival. This is is excellent.

[​IMG]

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Alienor Voices - l'aube de la polyphonie" performed by Lumen on DBA.

Chant Gregorien Monodies et Polyphonies Medievales IX-XII Centuries

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, sambamaster, canzld and 3 others like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just found out the ensemble arte dei suonatori is a Polish baroque ensemble and I actually have the following sets in my collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Berthold, bluemooze and Luisboa like this.
  4. layman

layman Forum Resident

1st Listen (...in my continuing survey of recordings of Berlioz "Symphonie Fantastique;" Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony, 1962; This is David Hurwitz favorite version):
    [​IMG]
    I am liking the sonic detail in the opening "Reverie" particularly the richness of the string playing. Most interpreters underplay this movement. Munch is not making that mistake. The performance sounds closely miced resulting in a "dryer" sound (but without any consequent damage to string tone and timber). Nice woodwind playing...I hear nice "bite" and passion in the brass parts too.

I hear nice rhythm in "Un Bal" (underlined by the string playing) but not the clarity of line and transparency of Norrington's performance of this movement (on period instruments). Also Ozawa's recording (with the same orchestra) displays more elan and lilt in this movement...still the Boston Symphonies' ability to play dance music is still very much apparent. I would say that the players are in their element.

I am liking the call and response from the woodwinds that open the "Scene aux Champs." This was a weakness of Norrington's period instruments which lacked the sonority and projection of modern instruments (qualities that are very evident here in Munch's recording). Beautifully strung rhythms here in the slow movement that keep up the momentum. This slow movement is not dragging. I am bobbing along with the music. I am liking the way that the idee fixe is insinuating itself into the music...and now I hear the strings break out into "demonic" accents that foreshadow the supernatural elements to come...lovely woodwind playing here in the slow movement...lovely pizzicato string playing too.

I like the sense of excitement in the opening of the "Marche au Supplice." The timpani and brass are really letting loose and I love the pizzicato string playing and the heckling woodwind voices. The march rhythms come through strongly...giving the music a martial, military aspect...the prisoner is being marched to the guillotine by the authorities...and now one final appearance of the idee fixe before the beheading.

The strings sound eerie and spectral in the opening of the "Song d'une nuit de Sabbat." This movement sounds especially thrilling...sort of the way Stokowski should have sounded if his recording had not been chopped up by the recording engineer and the bells sound very effective...clear...somber...and menacing...wow...this is the way to do it! I am loving the way the bells are tolling as the brass play the "Dies Irae." It is giving me goosebumps. This is superb. The supernatural atmosphere recalls Klemperer...the recording certainly has a vibrancy and richness that eclipses many other interpretations. I love the thrilling end.

David Hurwitz was right. If memory serves me correctly, Munch's 1954 recording only came to life in the final two movements but this (1962) recording is exciting from beginning to end. It's a triumph!

Dan C, Luisboa, royzak2000 and 7 others like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Beautifully played and recorded (DSD256).

[​IMG]

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Enescu - Sonatas for Piano and Violin" performed by Marta Gulyás and Vilmos Szabadi on Hungaroton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luisboa, 5-String, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

8. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:

[​IMG]

Luisboa, peter1, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  9. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have never understood why this piece is so rarely played and recorded.

canzld likes this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Enjoying this CD that took over 3 months to arrive from Japan. Nice performances and sound.

Dan C, Luisboa, royzak2000 and 6 others like this.
  11. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:

[​IMG]

So, tomorrow my new phono stage is scheduled to arrive (Graham Slee Accession MM). What should be the first thing I play to try it out, I wonder? Traditionally, I've always played a very familiar Kyung-wha Chung disc as the first on new equipment, and I may do that, but was thinking what might show it off best? Any ideas? But, of course, it would have to be something I actually own....

mBen989, Luisboa, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  12. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

On the turntable
    [​IMG]

Luisboa, vanhooserd, 5-String and 4 others like this.
  13. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I have seen people here mention Handels Concerti Grossi but I don't own any recordings of them and have never heard them. I found this set by Iona Brown used for a good price so ordered it. Hopefully it is a good one.

Luisboa, Bachtoven, crispi and 4 others like this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have owned this Philips trio for many years and have about a dozen versions of these Handel works. For non-HIP recordings, this version by the ASMIF is just about the best ...

bluemooze and bruce2 like this.
  15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Another nice picture of Iona Brown.

5-String, J.A.W., HowardLive and 2 others like this.
  16. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Symphony #4
    [​IMG]
    EMI of course, although thank you Warner for reissuing in a box at a fraction of the cost of acquiring all the individual discs

17. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Agreed. Andras Schiff also recorded the Dvorak piano concerto, with von Dohnanyi and the Vienna PO, and it's a joy...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    TonyACT and layman like this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have just the two: a mono Boyd Neel set on Decca which I haven't listened to yet, and a HIP set from Harnoncourt on Teldec which I have - and enjoyed.

5-String likes this.
  19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player:

[​IMG]

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Spinning now, from the excellent Opera Baroque box. I haven't even heard of four of the five composers. Pleasant music in HIP performances.

21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

After you mentioned this - happy to find it in the 'Decca - Vienna Philharmonic' box. I knew buying so many boxes was a good idea :agree:

sherrill50, bluemooze, canzld and 2 others like this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Persephone is a favorite of mine. I don’t have this one -only the 2 versions conducted by the composer. I think I have mentioned that I attended the performance of this work a few years ago when Rozhdestvensky conducted the BSO. It was magnificent!

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

CMT and canzld like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I asked myself the same question when I heard his violin concerto for a first time a few months ago. If one decides to explore beyond Dvorak's well known symphonies, they will discover a very underrated composer who has produced an amazing amount of quality music, from sacred to chamber, and from concertos to symphonic poems.

sherrill50, peter1, TonyACT and 3 others like this.