Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Moving on now to more Shostakovich - this time his helter-skelter First Piano Concerto (composed in 1933), performed by the composer on piano and recorded in 1956. I even like the shaky trumpet player.

[​IMG]

Here’s Shosty in 1933.
    [​IMG]

royzak2000, broos, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice. I have that one on CD in the Phase 4 box set.

I really enjoy the CDs in the box as a change of pace - the sound is sensational - even if the highlighting of certain parts of the orchestra is not what you would normally hear elsewhere on the planet :)

CMT and bluemooze like this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Hogwood and the Academy Of Ancient Music were influential in my early classical music days and I always enjoy their recordings. I try to obtain as much as I can of their vinyl output, but all these CD box sets are a L'Oiseau-Lyre fan's dream come true. :)

4. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Yes, they're kind of a guilty pleasure sometimes. They can be seductive, even if, as you say, you'd never hear things sound the way they're presented in "real life". This one, because it's all movie music, sounds great. I think it's easy to imagine the sound in this case as not being live anyway--as being what you'd hear in a theater.

TonyACT likes this.
  5. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

His playing is superb, and the sound is fairly good on this Melodiya LP.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the image.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have several Zhukov Melodiya LPs. A pleasure to listen to his performances.

Klavier likes this.
  8. Daedalus

This evening I am listening to the 01/24/64 live performance of Tosca at Royal Opera House, London, from the Maria Callas Live Remastered box set on Warner Music. Excellent sound restoration.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Scourge, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  9. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Hmmm...well, it's pianist Igor Zhukov playing Scriabin Sonatas 5, 6, 8,& 10.

Edit: Is this one visible?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Daedalus

That photo -carefree days before he earned Stalin’s displeasure with the debut of his opera.

peter1 and TonyACT like this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I look forward to listening to this - if Amazon UK ever get around to posting my order :realmad:

jɑmbo and Daedalus like this.
  12. Daedalus

I have just broken into this set. I am thoroughly enjoying the Tosca! I will be sampling more of the operas in the coming days. As you know, there are some interesting operas in this box.

TonyACT likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It is, thanks.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, Schubert Symphonies 2 and 4 from this Riccardo Muti set - not HIP at all, on the contrary:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

You're welcome. By the way, which browser do you use? I have trouble seeing some images with Firefox, but my current Brave browser has no problems. (It's based on the Chrome engine minus all the spying...or so they say!)

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Usually MS Edge, but sometimes Firefox and, if nothing else works as it should, Chrome, but I'd rather avoid that one. I don't have a smartphone or tablet, just a custom-made desktop PC.

17. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

You might look into Brave. I had never heard about it until someone in another thread recommended it. So far, I like it very much. I think it came out about 2 years ago. One nice feature is a built-in adblocker. It also has a built-in Tor browser should one need even greater privacy/anonymity.

18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

While we all occasionally have trouble viewing pictures it seems to affect you more than most. Wish we could pin down the cause.

19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra, Conducted By Sir Charles Mackerras : Antonín Dvořák ‎– Symphony No. 8 In G, Op. 88. Nonesuch ‎– H 71262

[​IMG]

Wes H, vanhooserd and TonyACT like this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...or I tend to post more about it than others :)

TonyACT likes this.
  21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In the disc player...delightful stuff here.

[​IMG]

22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Today's post-cappuccino $2 purchase from the charity store:

[​IMG]

Adam9, ToddBD, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  23. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Joseph Haydn, Mogens Wöldike, The Vienna State Opera Orchestra ‎– Symphony No. 99 & No. 102. Vanguard ‎– SRV-211 SD

[​IMG]

Wes H, Daedalus, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  24. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I can't see my own posts if I use images from Qobuz with Firefox! I kept that secret until just now... ;)

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wes H, Daedalus and bluemooze like this.