Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which commanding pianist and which composer? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that as a single layer SACD. At the time, it was pretty much the only Baroque SACD I could find.

vanhooserd likes this.
  3. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Really enjoying this Romantic take on Bach from Karajan in the Karajan 1970's set.

Bach: St Matthew Passion, BWV 244
    Herbert von Karajan: Berliner Philharmoniker
    Wiener Singverein, Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin, Knabenstimmen des Staats- und Domchores Berlin
    Peter Schreier & Horst Laubenthal (tenors)
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone)
    Gundula Janowitz (soprano)
    Christa Ludwig (contralto)
    Walter Berry & Anton Diakov (basses)

It is rather long though, almost 3 and a half hours compared to the sub 3 hour version I have in the Complete Warner/Teldec Bach box.

[​IMG]

4. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Almost done with my recent $1 used record store purchases. Two to go after this.

Géza Anda ‎– Robert Schumann: Fantasia In C Major, Op. 17/Symphonic Etudes, Op. 13
    Deutsche Grammophon Privilege ‎– 2535 364. Originally released in 1963.

[​IMG]

5. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I see copies of this record in virtually every used record store and thrift shop bin I go through. It's always there!

john greenwood likes this.
  6. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I wish record stores and op shops were better where I am in Australia.

Not as much to find and none of it is as cheap as compared to America, even after exchange rates.

7. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Continuing my recent Brahms kick, coupled with my recent rash of Japanese SACD purchases:

Brahms: Symphonies, Overtures, Haydn Variations, Alto Rhapsody
    Philharmonia Orchestra & Otto Klemperer
    Christa Ludwig (rhapsody)
    Warner JPN (SACD)

[​IMG]

These are justifiably well-loved performances, and this edition sounds better than ever. One can especially appreciate Klemperer's expertly balanced handling of these interpretations, which really bring out all of the interesting detail and inner voicing in Brahms' musical language. Klemperer takes things at either moderate or slow tempi, but there is something granitic and inevitable about these readings; nothing ever drags or sounds slow. There is a wonderful architectural integrity to be found throughout this set, and Klemperer also demonstrates that it is possible to maintain momentum even when the tempi are more relaxed. This is a lovely set and I'm very happy with the sound upgrade. The redbook layer sounds better than in prior releases I am familar with, but the SACD layer is a real eye opener. I'm glad the big labels are still turning out these discs, even if they are only being produced and sold in Japan, and cost us unfortunate Westerners a pretty penny to acquire.

Gollum, Pétrouchka, ToddBD and 10 others like this.
  8. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Erich Wolfgang Korngold - String Sextet; Piano Quintet - Doric String Quartet - recorded 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This looks like the LP set in my collection ...

jɑmbo likes this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing the following historical recording, which just arrived yesterday from across the pond for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 8/6-7/65, Watford Town Hall, London. I wasn't able to find other information about the orchestra & recording team, but Harold Lawrence is credited as producer. The initials GK in the deadwax indicate the lacquer was cut by Gilbert Kong. U.S. pressing.

12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Alfred Schnittke - Choir Concerto - Russian State Symphony Capella, Valery Polyansky - recorded 1991

Immensely, unbelievably beautiful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. coopmv

I would think if you live near Sydney or Melbourne, you should have no problems finding record stores. I live in a small US state and I am not aware of any local B&M record stores. I have to count on either Amazon or UK Presto. Right now, I am still waiting for the new Grumiaux big box ordered at jpc that was shipped on March 22. I do not like ordering from Germany as the order last November with a private seller from Germany took 3 months to arrive. Go figure!

14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Second-to-last of my recent $1 used record store purchases.

Nathalie Béra-Tagrine - Maurice Ravel / Emmanuel Chabrier / Eric Satie / Darius Milhaud / Gabriel Fauré ‎– Gaspard De La Nuit / Bourrée Fantasque / Gnossiènne N° 1 / Saudades Do Brasil / Nocturne N° 6

Disques Cantabile ‎– CAN 2001. A 1982 French release.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, 5-String, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  15. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Beethoven on the turntable tonight
    [​IMG]

16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

Mahler
    Symphony No. 3 in D minor
    Maureen Forrester, contralto
    Concertgebouw
    Haitink

[​IMG]

I had Mahler’s 3rd running through my mind most of my day at work, so when I got home I had to actually sit down and listen to it. The biggest problem, of course, is picking out a performance to listen to since there many fine performances of this symphony. Anyway, Haitink’s early account on Philips with the Concertgebouw is always a satisfying listen.

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Mono, 1956. Romeo & Juliet recorded 3/12/56; Francesca recorded 4/23/56. Released in stereo on RCA Victrola VICS-1197 in 1972. I have this Francesca in stereo on CD in a box called 'Charles Munch: Late Romantic Maserpieces'. The R & J in the box is a remake from 4/3/61. This was also issued with a color cover photograph of a pair of doomed young lovers. This plain-cover edition has the catlog number on the back cover only as LM-2043 (SLP-25). I haven't been able to figure that one out.

18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: The last of my recent used record store finds. I love that the stores are happy to charge the same $1 for a three-LP set as they are for a single disc. A 1972 release.

Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff ‎– The Four Piano Concertos, Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini
    London Records ‎– CSA 2311

[​IMG]

ToddBD, ibanez_ax, SeeDubs and 10 others like this.
  19. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Telemann collection ...

[​IMG]

20. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I'm in a smaller city in a less populated state so there are only a handful of record stores in the city and then ones dotted around the suburbs, but pretty few and far between. A lot of them are great for 50s-80s pop and rock and not much else. Some decent hip hop and electronic can sometimes come up, but it's normally either old crappy vinyl or overpriced.

There is one store near my work that has a massive selection of classical, but it's all rather nice stuff and box sets that aren't cheap.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

One last work for the night:

Korngold
    Violin Concerto in D, Op. 35
    Benedetti
    Bournemouth SO
    Karabits

[​IMG]

22. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

23. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

24. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I just tried listening on Spotify. No thanks. It's not for me. But I know there are people who like this kind of music. I just find it ugly and annoying.

I much prefer this new work by Jonathan Leshnoff:
    Piano Concerto: I. Fast (Live)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Pétrouchka likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

On the TT this morning.[​IMG]